PDA

View Full Version : One year ago today (June 5th) a great American died.

Broken Glass Can
06-05-2005, 01:09 AM
Let us not forget. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://www.smdc.army.mil/SMDCPhoto_Gallery/Eagle/Jun04/reagan%20photo.jpg

fluxrad
06-05-2005, 01:13 AM
who?

andyfox
06-05-2005, 01:38 AM
How could we even pretend to forget? The funeral lasted for three weeks.

bholdr
06-05-2005, 05:53 AM
meh. he had a good run.

QuadsOverQuads
06-05-2005, 05:53 AM
(This message brought to you by the same party that now blindly lauds George W. Bush).

q/q

mmbt0ne
06-05-2005, 07:19 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

(This message brought to you by the same party that now blindly lauds George W. Bush).

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably you're weakest effort yet. None of the Republicans are gonna get mad about this one. You should've said something bad about Reagan. That would get them in an uproar.

masse75
06-05-2005, 08:14 AM
I thought George Gipp died a long time ago... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Talk2BigSteve
06-05-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Why??? He sure as hell did!!!

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dr. Strangelove
06-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Haha. Vicious.

Myrtle
06-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Ronald Reagan was an actor...and we bought his act....but so did he.

What blinds most of us still to this day is confusing the myth/image of who he was and what he stood for vs. the reality of what fundamental changes the power brokers behind him caused in the fabric of American society.

For the sake of pouring some gasoline on this fire, I'll throw out just one......

.....the definition of 'right &amp; wrong'.

Right now = Whatever you don't get caught doing.

Wrong now = Getting caught.

Zygote
06-06-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was/is a great american and he will be missed.

Respectfully,

Zygote

Jakesta
06-06-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Steve, you are the man! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jakesta
06-06-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How could we even pretend to forget? The funeral lasted for three weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dr. Strangelove
06-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Man that is quite a clip, dead.

HtotheNootch
06-06-2005, 01:15 AM
If he had lived up to his promise - i.e. his speech in support of Goldwater, I'd say he was great. However, he didn't live up to his own standards. I view him much like I view Dwight Gooden - great talent, but didn't live up to it.

Edge34
06-06-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak as hell. Yeah, yeah, you'll say you're joking I'm sure...and we all deal with the gay thing, so you're making a joke about a guy who got Alzheimer's. I hope someone in your family does so you can realize that that's really a shitty thing to say about anybody, like them or not.

fluxrad
06-06-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope someone in your family does so you can realize that that's really a shitty thing to say about anybody, like them or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You just wished Alzheimers on someone...and not jokingly either.

What a dick.

Edge34
06-06-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope someone in your family does so you can realize that that's really a shitty thing to say about anybody, like them or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You just wished Alzheimers on someone...and not jokingly either.

What a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rhetorical. One who makes this kind of joke, whether it was or not, should really have the experience of having a family member or someone they care about go through it. Then they will realize how much of a fool they were to joke about it.

Nice try.

ACPlayer
06-06-2005, 02:29 AM
Lets not forget!!

Lets not veto the stem cell legislation.

Jakesta
06-06-2005, 03:19 AM
They like Reagan much better as a martyr.

iraise50
06-06-2005, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he had lived up to his promise - i.e. his speech in support of Goldwater, I'd say he was great. However, he didn't live up to his own standards. I view him much like I view Dwight Gooden - great talent, but didn't live up to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dwight Gooden should have listened to Nancy's advice and just said no to cocaine. He (Reagan) wasn't a great talent - he was a great man. He deserved to be mourned, not by just Americans, but by the world. He's in large part responsible for the end of the Cold War, he fixed the horrible economy that idiot Carter left us with, increased teh morale of out military at a time it was sinking horribly (that fiasco of Carter's with the choppers) and let me tell you this: No little terrorist jerk-wad was going to bomb the WTC or fly planes into it after Reagan whacked Quadaffi's daughter. Even Quadaffi's outlook on life has changed. Reagan was no great talent, he was just an American who beleived in a free and prosperous America, and a free and prosperous Earth.

Myrtle
06-06-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dwight Gooden should have listened to Nancy's advice and just said no to cocaine. He (Reagan) wasn't a great talent - he was a great man. He deserved to be mourned, not by just Americans, but by the world. He's in large part responsible for the end of the Cold War, he fixed the horrible economy that idiot Carter left us with, increased teh morale of out military at a time it was sinking horribly (that fiasco of Carter's with the choppers) and let me tell you this: No little terrorist jerk-wad was going to bomb the WTC or fly planes into it after Reagan whacked Quadaffi's daughter. Even Quadaffi's outlook on life has changed. Reagan was no great talent, he was just an American who beleived in a free and prosperous America, and a free and prosperous Earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

....with respect...

...Overly simplistic, rose-colored-glasses POV that is subscribed to by many. Easy for any of us to slip into this position due to our wanting to believe in so many of the ideals that Reagan espoused.

Politics, like poker, is played at many different levels.....IMHO the above level is rather basic, with many flaws in his game if one takes the time to examine it.

iraise50
06-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Likewise, with respect. Carter was a fool. He was a very nice and good man but he never knew who his enemies were and was one of the more ineffective Commanders-in-Chief we've ever had. I'm totally spot on about the differences between those two men.

As for rose-colored glasses, I think yours are shaded by your politics. I certainly think Reagan made his share of mistakes, but come on...he took decisive action, which unlike Bill Clinton or George W. Bush, most of the entire nation supported and approved of. I don't think Reagan was a great thinker, or a great poloitical strategist. Or a great actor - really I think his movies are atrocious. I DO think that Reagan was a great American with sincere beliefs that for the most part, he remained faithful too. As for the many levels of poker playing and so on you were speaking about, implying (not in a mean-spirited way)I'm a mroon who can only see things in the shallowest of concepts, I don't view people through my politics. I respect all people and even when I disagree with them, as I do with Reagan's political views in many areas, I look for the man or woman within. By having a different view from you, and presenting someone favorably it doesn't make me simple, or slower than you. I happen to think Reagan was a great American President.

Myrtle
06-06-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Likewise, with respect. Carter was a fool. He was a very nice and good man but he never knew who his enemies were and was one of the more ineffective Commanders-in-Chief we've ever had. I'm totally spot on about the differences between those two men.

As for rose-colored glasses, I think yours are shaded by your politics. I certainly think Reagan made his share of mistakes, but come on...he took decisive action, which unlike Bill Clinton or George W. Bush, most of the entire nation supported and approved of. I don't think Reagan was a great thinker, or a great poloitical strategist. Or a great actor - really I think his movies are atrocious. I DO think that Reagan was a great American with sincere beliefs that for the most part, he remained faithful too. As for the many levels of poker playing and so on you were speaking about, implying (not in a mean-spirited way)I'm a mroon who can only see things in the shallowest of concepts, I don't view people through my politics. I respect all people and even when I disagree with them, as I do with Reagan's political views in many areas, I look for the man or woman within. By having a different view from you, and presenting someone favorably it doesn't make me simple, or slower than you. I happen to think Reagan was a great American President.

[/ QUOTE ]

....my intent was not to imply at all that you were a moron. Sorry if you took it that way.

[ QUOTE ]
Carter was a fool. He was a very nice and good man but he never knew who his enemies were and was one of the more ineffective Commanders-in-Chief we've ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

...we could quibble about the definition of fool. Absent that, for sake of brevity, I would mostly agree with you.

[ QUOTE ]
As for rose-colored glasses, I think yours are shaded by your politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

....you could be right here. I'm not sure how I would define MY politics, though. I am affiliated with none of todays' politial parties. I like to think that I look at each issue and attempt to understand it the best that I can before I form an opinion. When I do that, I find that my opinion mostly falls outside the bounds of todays' Republican or Democratic party stance on most issues.

[ QUOTE ]
I happen to think Reagan was a great American President.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than likely, if you're talking about the mans' personal image, history will agree with you.

My issue here is that we bought the "image" and as he fiddled, Rome burnt. There has been a wholesale 'shift' in American ethics and behavior that I feel originated during Reagan's two terms.

I can't realistically hold him reponsible for all of it....bu there is no (IMO) denying what happened, and we &amp; our children are now paying (and will continue to pay for) some of the fundamental changes in the fabric of American society that originated during that time.

thatpfunk
06-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Who cares, he's dead. It was a funny joke.

ACPlayer
06-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Carter was a fool.

Hardly a fool. He is more intelligent than Reagan or W. Probably less so than Clinton or Nixon. Definitely more articulate (as a private citizen) than most in office.

He was however not much of an executive. Though, in his defense, he inherited a country f'ed up with Vietnam, Watergate etc. Unfortunately, his mis-handling of Iran is his legacy.

mmbt0ne
06-07-2005, 06:39 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Definitely more articulate (as a private citizen) than most in office.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any and all discussion of policies aside, this is true. The few times I've been lucky enough to speak to Pres Carter it's always been a wonderfully interesting conversation. It's one of the benefits of knowing the grandsons. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nokona13
06-07-2005, 01:44 PM
2nd. Worst. President. Ever...

Edge34
06-07-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who cares, he's dead. It was a funny joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I miss the high comedy that is making fun of a guy with Alzheimer's.