PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Advise needed..

ripped
06-05-2005, 12:52 AM
I recently moved to the 55's and I have been in the most crazy swings imaginable.

Here is what I need help with. I will buyin to 8 tables and either start off on fire or horribly. Now the weird part is this. If I start on fire I end up losing buyins on the day and if I start off horribly I usually have a killer day. My bankroll can handle the swings but I am not sure my brain can. Today I busted my first 9 and total lose it. Horrible beats everywhere. I decide to quit and play some NL and work off a bonus I have. I make a few hundred and decide to try again and I go on a tear with 15 of 22 ITM places.

Here is my problem. Since I have started the 55's and get hot it follows with a BAD cold streak. I am now scared to play anymore for the day. I am worried that I will just get screwed the entire night. Like I said before my bankroll is fine (I could play the 215's) but my mentality right now if fragile.

Any words of advise or support would be great..

ty

brimstone1
06-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Post deleted by brimstone1

ripped
06-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Post deleted by ripped

brimstone1
06-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Post deleted by brimstone1

bluefeet
06-05-2005, 01:42 AM
It's a typical struggle - dealing with the psychological hurdles you put up when you continually measure 'success'. I'm a stat junky myself. Goal setting, monitoring results, etc., are instrumental in my own motivation. The challenge is trying to maintain the 'positive' mindset when you aren't meeting your own expectaions. I don't really know what the answer is, but you certainly aren't alone.

One key for me is to not try to break my 'goal' into smaller segments. I want to play 'x' number of games a month and return a profit of 'z' amount. If 'x' is 300, you have to realize how inconsequential the results are of a specific game or a set of games. The fact that games 14 thru 21 sucked, and that they all occured on the 4th of June, holds no special significants amongst the total. It's only meaningful when you try to measure your success at these micro-levels.

I have a friend that will start a bad run, work his ass off to get back 'even for the day' and then call it quits. Celebrating a small victory for the day. The important thing to remember is that your long-term (monthly perhaps) goal is not divided into a given number of 'battles'. Don't view the days in the month as individual battles in the war to reach your goal. There only is the war.

The competition isn't just the other players at the poker table. The biggest competition is against yourself. I DO track daily (I have more tabs & charts on my spreadsheet than you can imagine). But I work very hard at not letting myself be a defeatist when things aren't going to plan. Far too easy to comfort yourself and say "eh, just not my day", or "man, maybe I just suck"....bullshit. That's too easy. Remind yourself of the bigger picture, challenge yourself to get back 'to work' and play the game you know how to play.

Enough rambling.......get back to work! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ripped
06-05-2005, 01:56 AM
This post was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the time you put in to it. You are 100% right.

Thanks again

Scuba Chuck
06-05-2005, 01:57 AM
post deleted by Scuba Chuck

Scuba Chuck
06-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Good post bluefeet. Well thought out.