PDA

View Full Version : A flush with 4 dead cards out

King Yao
06-05-2005, 12:43 AM
I wasn't involved in this hand, but I still thought it was interesting. I'll name the two combatants Bob and Joe.

Bob had caught about 4 flushes in the last 6 hands, and he's been joking to the dealer about how they are partners. Bob plays loose (limps and calls completed bets on 3rd street all the time), likes to gamble and isn't bothered by the stakes in the 75/150 Stud game.

Joe is to Bob's right. I don't have much of a read on him. He seems tighter as he hasn't been involved in that many hands. And when he does play, it seems he's got a solid hand by the River, win or lose. But he's not the typical stereotype of a sharp player - as far as his body action (doesn't seem to pay much attention to his surroundings), his demeanor (seems to only look at his cards), and yet, I can't find an obvious flaw in the hands I've seen him play. I've played with Bob before, so I know him a bit better - but not Joe.

In this particular hand, Joe is dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif and Bob is dealt the T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. 4 diamonds are also showing. Joe completes, Bob calls and everyone else folds.

Fourth:
Joe: A /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Bob: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Joe bets, Bob calls. Bob starts talking smack about making another flush. "Flusheeeee"

Fifth street:
Joe: A /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Bob: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Joe bets, Bob raises, Joe calls.

Sixth Street:
Joe: A /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Bob: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Joe bets. Bob raises, Joe calls.

On the River, Joe checks, Bob bets, Joe calls.
Bob indeed has a flush. Joe had a straight on fifth.

What do you think about Joe's bet on sixth in the face of the possible flush and the raise on fifth by Bob? To me, I thought it showed that Joe knew what was going on. He could see 5 dead diamonds (4 folded by other players on 3rd street, and the one on his board - not sure if he had any in his hole cards). And I think is pretty clear that Bob probably isn't as aware of the dead cards (he has one real lazy eye, and he's paying attention to the baseball game, so not sure if he even knew there were 4 folded diamonds on 3rd). So maybe Joe thought since Bob can be aggressive and tricky at times, that his raise on fifth was for a free card on sixth as well as the chance that Joe would fold on fifth. Even though Joe lost, I thought he played correctly and I increased my assessment of his abilities a touch based on that hand.

Thoughts please.

CarlosChadha
06-05-2005, 04:49 AM
So there were a total of 5 diamonds showing on 3rd (including the Td)? If that was the case then there is no way that I am giving Bob credit for a flush, and probably not even something like a 4 flush with a pair. Most likely 2 pair, trips, or wired As. Not 3 betting with a made str8 is a big mistake in this situation on 5th. If I got 4 bet, then I'd probably give Bob credit for a set more so than a flush. I'd probably just call and check raise on 6th, assuming that Bob's board didn't pair. The only way Bob has a flush here is if he started with 3 to a str8 flush, so I might take the same line as Joe only if I saw that the 8d, 9d, and Jd were all live.

Regards,
Carlos

Andy B
06-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Sounds to me like Joe played correctly and Bob, umm, didn't.