PDA

View Full Version : First Hand KQs

KenProspero
06-05-2005, 12:08 AM
This hand occurred tonite, but I see similar situations all the time.

Game is cheap and loose.

First hand, everyone starts with 1500T chips.

Hero is dealt K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif as CO.

EP1 Fold, EP2 Call EP3 Raises 450 to 500, folded to Hero.

Bet, Fold, or Raise?

Ultimately, I fold -- this is the kind of game where it's likely that two or three will all-in. My view is that KQs just isn't strong enough to be in such an all in battle. Is this play too weak?

First hand, I'll play the all-in game with AA, KK, QQ, or AKs. Again, does this sound right?

lastchance
06-05-2005, 12:13 AM
I think the below sounds right. QQ is too good against n00bs. KK+AA are WAY too good against n00bs. AK is kinda iffy, but I think AKs is good enough.

Oh, and don't ever think of playing KQs in this way. It is leagues below AK and AQ.

Karak567
06-05-2005, 12:37 AM
I don't even call the big blind with KQs in level 1 in early position.

I MIGHT limp in late position, depending on how many people limp ahead of me.

runner4life7
06-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Evening thinking about calling KQ after a raise to 10x the BB and expecting all ins just is mind boggling to me. Even with AK, if there are 2 people all in already I just can't seem to find any reason to want to get in that, not if they are this bad of players. Against bad players, you want to use your skill to beat them, not gamble, thats what "bad" players too and the moment you start to feel the need to be gambling with them you've become them.

Another comment, in regards to that you need to say the game is cheap, if this changes your play then this is probably a pointless question. If the money is too small to matter, then your play probably suffers and this is more of a social thing. All of this just my opinion of course.

KenProspero
06-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Re Game is cheap comment.

Only reason I made the comment was to give a flavor for the type of player I was up against. The stakes themselves don't affect my play, except to the extent that I feel it impacts on the quality of player.

As to the question -- I'm in a bad streak lately where I've been folding this hand and similar hands (and seeing where it would have won on the flop) as well as a playing a lot of hands where I'm being beaten on the river by two-four outers. No violins please -- I know it happens to everyone.

That being said, I'm reviewing my own play to make sure that it's just normal variation as opposed to some unknown leak that's easily correctable. So am trying to get confrimation even where I'm pretty sure it's the right play.

I trust that this is an acceptable use for this forum.

runner4life7
06-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Yeah, I would lean towards some unlucky variance, and the bad beats seem to happen so much more often against bad players, mainly becasue they chase rediculous things, which is why i cannot play with my friends back home because even though I know their moves are +EV for me, it just drives me nuts to see them play like that. So I would say just stick to your game, if you know you are solid then you probably are, don't let some lucky players doubt your game. Other than that, good luck against those 2 outer draws.