PDA

View Full Version : Today I made a note I had never made before

Buckmulligan
06-05-2005, 12:00 AM
I can't remember the specific hand, but the player I was up against was a pretty standard loose passive 2/4 player. I made something like TPTK on the flop, bet and was called. On the turn, a card fell completing a flush. I bet, he took his time, and then I was raised. I called. On the river, I checked, and he took 10 seconds or so before betting, at which point i called to see him turn over the nut flush.
It's been discussed that various players use the timer to their advantage when value betting, and sometimes when bluffing. It never occured to me that it could be helpful to pinpoint these guys for future reference. I actually made a note on the tell: "paused on 2 consecutive streets before betting nuts."
I don't know how much faith you can put into this, but I thought it was interesting.

zuluking
06-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Its a common tell online. Matthew Hilger discusses it in his book.

SNOWBALL138
06-05-2005, 12:13 AM
how often do you run into someone that you have a note on?

zuluking
06-05-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how often do you run into someone that you have a note on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me? Minimum of 2 at every table.

Buckmulligan
06-05-2005, 12:19 AM
I usually only make notes on donks. I especially want to know what kind of hands they are value betting. For example, if I have a note saying that someone had KT and bet a K76 flop then bet a deuce on the turn, but then checked a 5 on the river heads up, I know that he probaly won;t bet worse than top pair on the river. This sort of thing is very helpful in determining whether or not I should be calling on later streets.

aK13
06-05-2005, 12:20 AM
So you won't give me credit for the nuts when I'm auto-betting? =O

diebitter
06-05-2005, 09:57 AM
I make these kind of notes. I try and spot a pattern in betting speed when they're (a) betting the nuts (b) betting a marginal, (c) betting an obvious loser

Very useful against some lags

diebitter
06-05-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I make these kind of notes. I try and spot a pattern in betting speed when they're (a) betting the nuts (b) betting a marginal, (c) betting an obvious loser

Very useful against some lags

[/ QUOTE ]

PS. I do this for the river betting only, but make any notes about how the betting went at flop and turn if I think it might be significant.

Note that I usually start with one note (eg 'Bet into and then bet very fast at river with v.good hand (not nuts)'), with then gets refined/changed and made less verbose as I get different patterns/outcomes for the lag in question