PDA

View Full Version : 50-100 no limit hand

Baelwulfe
12-30-2002, 06:52 PM
I was playing in my second No-limit tourament recently and I was dealt Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/club.gif UTG +1 with about 2000 in chips. I know that I played the hand wrong, but would like some advice for future play. We had 6 players left and UTG limps in, I limp, One player in LP folds and everyone else limps in. The flop comes
8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif
Check to me I bet 200, one LP player and the SB call. The turn is a K /forums/images/icons/club.gif I bet out 500, the LP player raises me all in costing me an extra 275, the SB folds and I call to watch him flip over K /forums/images/icons/heart.gifJ /forums/images/icons/spade.gif. Thie river was a Q completing my hand and giving no help. Is QJ off suit even worth playing in this situation? And if so how could I have done this better.

gaylord focker
12-30-2002, 06:58 PM
I think the only major mistake you made was deciding to call pre-flop. QJ really is a trash hand, and I cant think of very many situation I would play it UTG+1 at a full table. Once the flop hits you cant get away from your hand. If I were you I probably would have gone for a check raise, figuring that there was a very good chance I held the best hand and I would want to trap someone. However once the flop hits you are going to lose all your chips one way or another, so not much you can do about that.

Guy McSucker
12-30-2002, 08:59 PM
You say you had 2000, but the figures don't add up: you call preflop for 100, bet 200 on the flop, bet 500 and then call 275 more all-in on 4th. That makes more like 1000.

This matters: QJo is definitely not playable for a call for 10% of your stack, certainly not in early position. Late, if you know nobody will raise, then maybe. Or if your stack, and those of your opponents, are much bigger, then maybe. That way if you get a big flop (like three Js ;-) you can reap a big payoff.

This flop is going to take all your chips, no question,

Guy.

ohkanada
12-31-2002, 01:46 AM
6 handed with an UTG limper I would fold. Unless there were 2 or 3 limpers and I had position I would fold. 6 handed I normally would raise or fold with most hands and after a limper QJ is a fold.

Betting 200 into a 500 pot on the flop seems a bit low. Make it 300 or 400. Once you get callers on the flop there should be enough money to go all-in on the turn.

Be wary of dominated hands like QJ/KJ/KQ/AJ/AQ. They are playable in the right situations but make nasty second best hands.

Ken Poklitar

Baelwulfe
12-31-2002, 11:06 AM
Sorry, I don't type well. My first post should have said that the LP player pushed all-in, so I had to call an additional 275 on the turn. I was not all-in.

Toro
12-31-2002, 03:48 PM
Position, position, position! You can't play this hand in this postion. You will find out as you play in more tournaments, that if you continue to limp in with hands such as this, most of the time, you will face a healthy raise preflop and will be forced to fold making the hand a complete waste of chips. It will be like posting your big blind and having it stolen twice in the same round. When you are allowed to see the flop, three things can happen, two of them bad. 1)You can miss, 2)hit and have the best hand or 3)hit and have the worst hand(which is what happened in this case). You can also hit a draw which can also cause you all kinds of problems. Therefore my best advice is to avoid playing the hand alltogether. The only exception that I make with this type of hand is when I'm extremely short stacked and don't want to get blinded off, I may raise all in with it.