PDA

View Full Version : I want to be more like the ocean

bobbyi
06-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Three-handed online $5/10. I am in the big blind. I've been playing with the button for a while now. He is too loose and somewhat too passive. A large portion of the hands we have played consisted of him calling me down the whole way. But he is willing to bet or raise if he has a decent hand. The small blind is pretty new to the table. So far he also seems loose and passive, but not nearly as passive as the button and smart enough to pick up on when someone is stealing. Still not particularly good, though.

The button raises. The small blind calls. I call in the BB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif4/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

The flop is 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB bets, I call and the button folds.

The turn is the 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Bet, raise, call.

The river is the 5/images/graemlins/club.gif. Bet, raise, call.

TStoneMBD
06-04-2005, 10:47 PM
dont like the turn raise. you only gain 1 bet when you connect the river (except he bet it for you). the sb is almost certainly ahead of you here and i dont see him folding. youre losing equity by eliminating the button as youre playing for draw value and not for pair value.

dont like it.

bobbyi
06-04-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
youre losing equity by eliminating the button

[/ QUOTE ]
The button folded on the flop and I had nothing to do with eliminating him.

TStoneMBD
06-04-2005, 10:59 PM
oh sorry, still dont like the raise though. unless you have a read that the sb will laydown a pair, but you said he has an eye for stealers.

Subfallen
06-05-2005, 01:30 AM
I mostly agree with TStoneMBD that we likely don't have much bluff equity. IMO it's pretty likely the SB could be semi-bluffing a draw with something 67 or A6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I actually think he had 55 here.

In any case, this looks like a board where SB will have quite a few excuses to call our turn raise. Nonetheless, the equity is just about a wash, and a little extra agression in a nice-sized pot can't be all that bad.

bobbyi
06-05-2005, 02:04 AM
There is some chance he has diamonds or some other drawing hand. Thus, my hand is sometimes good so it would be nice to see a showdown and the turn raise buys me that. He is passive enough that I thought (maybe incorrectly) that he wouldn't three-bet the turn or bet the river without a very strong hand. So for one more bet I almost certainly get to a showdown.

If he has a seven, I don't think he will fold it all the time to the raise, but he will once in a while which I think is enough to make it worth raising with how many outs I have now given that I would like to get to a showdown anyway.

Subfallen
06-05-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thus, my hand is sometimes good so it would be nice to see a showdown and the turn raise buys me that

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think it is remotely likely that your hand is good on this turn, why didn't you raise the flop?! Letting button see a cheap turn with probable overcards when your hand could be good = /images/graemlins/confused.gif

(I didn't mention trying to get a free showdown in my post b/c of the absence of a flop raise.)

donger
06-05-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is some chance he has diamonds or some other drawing hand. Thus, my hand is sometimes good so it would be nice to see a showdown and the turn raise buys me that. He is passive enough that I thought (maybe incorrectly) that he wouldn't three-bet the turn or bet the river without a very strong hand. So for one more bet I almost certainly get to a showdown.

If he has a seven, I don't think he will fold it all the time to the raise, but he will once in a while which I think is enough to make it worth raising with how many outs I have now given that I would like to get to a showdown anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it, especially against a passive player. This is the only way to get in more than one bet per street here if you do connect.

Most passives will probably check any scary river, so waiting to raise if you connect notis probably a good idea. Get in the extra bet while you still can, then take the free showdown unimproved.
P.S. equity-wise, I don't think you give up much by raising here: you're only a 3:2 dog to TPTK.