PDA

View Full Version : Point of locking "Lady Law Man" post?

masse75
06-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Kudos to 2+2 for adding moderators, but some of the moves I've seen by Dynasty et al, makes me think the pendulum has swung too far the other direction.

Granting moderator powers means someone should know when to step in...anyone else think this was too heavy handed? Sure, the poster is talking stupid stuff, but this is OOT. There was no flaming, what's the harm.

Original Lady Law Man Thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2555103&page=2&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

La Brujita
06-04-2005, 09:54 PM
I think he clearly made the correct decision.

Dynasty
06-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Give me a break.

He's telling other posters he's going to "keep all hoes in check", warning them "don't make me take my sneaker off", and saying he'll "whack a dude upside the head".

BTW, I don't mind people expressing their opinions about any moderator action. But, keep it in one thread. Nobody wants OOT to turn into the Comment on Moderator Actions Forum.

jason_t
06-04-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

masse75
06-04-2005, 09:59 PM
And he can actually do this how? Reach through the internet?

It was his first post. A smart moderator would drop a warning first.

slickpoppa
06-04-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody wants OOT to turn into the Comment on Moderator Actions Forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then be a little more conservative with your moderating.

Jack of Arcades
06-04-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't give gimmick accounts warnings. You say they suck and tell them to STFU.

razor
06-04-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you are serious...

UsersIgnored++

KungFuSandwich
06-04-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't give gimmick accounts warnings. You say they suck and tell them to STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="white"> Just Quoting is Ghey </font>

Los Feliz Slim
06-04-2005, 10:04 PM
I wondered the same thing myself. The OP was a gimmick account as Ike Turner, so the comments were in Ike Turner character. If it hadn't gotten locked at some point hopefully he would have said "Baby, I'm sorry. You know Ike didn't mean to hurt you."

I assumed it got locked because it was a silly, tasteless, and pointless gimmick account, not because the threats were taken seriously. If they were, that's hilarious.

theredpill6
06-04-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's telling other posters he's going to "keep all hoes in check", warning them "don't make me take my sneaker off", and saying he'll "whack a dude upside the head".

[/ QUOTE ]
He's obviously joking. Come on. And stop deleting my threads.

somethingstupid
06-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Are you in LA? What's with the Citgo sign?

sublime
06-04-2005, 10:17 PM
yeah i dont see the need of locking thr thread, but whatever.

tbach24
06-04-2005, 10:17 PM
I think gimmick accounts that impersonate famous people shouldn't make their own threads.

Sponger15SB
06-04-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

06-04-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your prank thread should be locked, and should have been locked immediately. Too many posts with information that could be used to seriously hurt someone or their property. Some joke.

You think this is ridiculous? So do I. But it's no more ridiculous than locking Ike Turner. The poster-moderators should use their newfound authority judiciously, based upon objective criteria. I hope they do so.

Esteban
06-04-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think gimmick accounts that impersonate famous people shouldn't make their own threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-04-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite obviously against the Terms and Conditions:

[ QUOTE ]
you may not post or transmit any ... threatening, ...profane, or otherwise objectionable information of any kind; including ...any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would ... give rise to civil liability

[/ QUOTE ]

Good move, mods!

Los Feliz Slim
06-04-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you in LA? What's with the Citgo sign?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can take the boy out of Boston, but you can't take the Boston out of the boy.

masse75
06-04-2005, 10:56 PM
[censored]...Esteban, promise you won't hit me with a shoe.

tbach24
06-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Reading the T&amp;C is clearly for nerds

Esteban
06-04-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored]...Esteban, promise you won't hit me with a shoe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, brother, you don't have to worry about me hitting you with a shoe. I claw people to death.

poker-penguin
06-04-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reading the T&amp;A is clearly for nerds

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you schtupp one of the chubby girls? Thinking bout something else there tbach?

Edit: you edited your post you sneaky little [censored].

tbach24
06-04-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reading the T&amp;A is clearly for nerds

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you schtupp one of the chubby girls? Thinking bout something else there tbach?

Edit: you edited your post you sneaky little [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. yeah i got to my post. i guess i don't usually write T&amp; and then not finish with A. mental slip. fruedian perhaps

masse75
06-04-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think your prank thread should be locked, and should have been locked immediately. Too many posts with information that could be used to seriously hurt someone or their property. Some joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. Like that one where the guy was talking about making a car windshield susceptible to shattering. I can already see some numbnuts trying to sue 2+2 because they think it's promoting that type of behavior (ah, the joys of a litigious society).

Lady Law Man: Stupid? Yes. Waste of time? Yes. Harmless? Yes.

masse75
06-04-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's quite obviously against the Terms and Conditions:

[ QUOTE ]
you may not post or transmit any ... threatening, ...profane, or otherwise objectionable information of any kind; including ...any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would ... give rise to civil liability

[/ QUOTE ]

Good move, mods!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do we really want to start discussing this? As stated before, if you really think this was worse than the prank thread, you're way wrong.

06-04-2005, 11:07 PM
aherave-

you are clearly a man who knows how to live life. what do you say we go on a double date?

masse75
06-04-2005, 11:10 PM
The proper way to handle this:

Ike, STFU. Tina is 10 times more talented than you.

No lock needed.

swolfe
06-04-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for pokerjo, if you act like a woman, i will treat you like one! dont make me take my sneaker off bitch!

[/ QUOTE ]

shrug, calling out a specific poster is somewhat uncool.

radek2166
06-04-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Give me a break.

BTW, I don't mind people expressing their opinions about any moderator action. But, keep it in one thread. Nobody wants OOT to turn into the Comment on Moderator Actions Forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like the SS to me

gorie
06-04-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OtisTheMarsupial
06-04-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
, if you really think this was worse than the prank thread, you're way wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not commenting on the prank thread. I didn't read it.
I am talking about the Ike thread.

Jokes about wife beating are
1. not funny
2. wrong

so, in this instance, the moderators did their job

MelK
06-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Links to the other threads that were locked tonight, with even less merit than the one you're discussing.

***Official Jakethebake insult thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2553099)

Pranks (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2552650)

masse75
06-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Holy cow...if this gets you spun up, you're not going to last long in OOT.

gorie
06-05-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Holy cow...if this gets you spun up, you're not going to last long in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]
yet apparently longer than your gimmick account did.

masse75
06-05-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Links to the other threads that were locked tonight, with even less merit than the one you're discussing.

***Official Jakethebake insult thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2553099)

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be time to peruse other sections of 2+2

MelK
06-05-2005, 12:05 AM
jakethebake has not posted in more than 24 hours, and he is stuck at 9999 posts. What is he going to spring on us for post 10000? It better be good, if we have to wait so long for it.

masse75
06-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Um, no...not my gimmick. I personally think they're stupid.

I see the beginnings of OOT morphing. I've always enjoyed the stupid humor, and like I said, I think the pendulum is starting to swing a bit too far in the other direction.

nothumb
06-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Dynasty locking that thread is the best thing that could happen to that gimmick account. Starting threads about yourself = gimmick account suicide. He stopped it before it got out of hand.

I personally think all the whiners need to drink a big tall glass of S...T...F...U. Some of those threads that got locked weren't particularly bad, nor were they particularly useful or amusing. For instance that jakethebake insult thread, basically the joke was going to run its course in three or four minutes anyway. It just got nipped in the bud before it became a huge waste of time.

NT

Ulysses
06-05-2005, 02:47 AM
I agree. Stupid? Yes. Not very funny? Yes. Deserves to be locked? No.

Stupid unfunny stuff should be left to drop off the page imo.

ripdog
06-05-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to have one of your sweet guitars, man. And who dresses you? Turkey in the Straw never sounded so sweet as when you jam it out on your infomercial. I love you man.

Jack of Arcades
06-05-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which was locked because there was already a very good topic on it.

razor
06-05-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Stupid? Yes. Not very funny? Yes. Deserves to be locked? No.

Stupid unfunny stuff should be left to drop off the page imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it would be great if we didn't need moderators here. But the reality is the there are enough posters here who can't or won't do the correct thing, which is to simply ingore stupid, unfunny threads and posters.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-05-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Holy wallaby...if this gets you spun up, you're not going to last long in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]FYP

I can handle the occasional 13-year-old prick thinking it's funny to joke about beating women up.

Doesn't change the fact that the post deserves to be banned.

thought experiment:

gimmick account "David Duke" posts:
[ QUOTE ]
I'm here to keep all the coons in check [name actual black users here]

You fools know how i roll, get outtta line and pow!

As for [name user here], if you act like a blackie, i will treat you like one! don't make me take my sneaker off nigga!

[/ QUOTE ]

Should it be censored?
hell ya!

If you want an un-moderated, free-speech forum you might want to set that up yourself. Maybe put the servers on some island that doesn't have laws and make sure all the money generated from it goes into some swiss acct. or something.

Then maybe, just maybe, you'll be free of the liability stupid posts that advocate violence generate.

PS - this post itself is walking the line and I won't be upset if it's deemed inappropriate. Were I a mod, I'd block it myself, so no hard feelings if you censor me. (But you really should delete these things off the servers, not just lock them.)

trying2learn
06-05-2005, 04:42 PM
interesting point - if it's bad enough to lock - then should it be deleted entirely?

censorship is always such a fun topic.

Alobar
06-05-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Dynasty we are talkng about. When you give one of the biggest tools in OOT the power to moderate, this is what happens. I love his whole "check me out im so cool and powerful "you got bitch slapped"" comment.

sublime
06-05-2005, 05:32 PM
This is Dynasty we are talkng about. When you give one of the biggest tools in OOT the power to moderate, this is what happens. I love his whole "check me out im so cool and powerful "you got bitch slapped"" comment.

did i miss a previous pissign match between the two of you?

wacki
06-05-2005, 05:45 PM
I am kind of shocked that Dynasty locked that post. It didn't fall into any of his 3 categories. Needless to say, I am no going to argue with the man about that one. Still, if he was going to start locking those posts he should of made the law/announcement first.

Alobar
06-05-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

did i miss a previous pissign match between the two of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

There isnt one, mostly I just ignore him. I just think hes a huge fucktard

wacki
06-05-2005, 06:13 PM
reasons?

masse75
06-05-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Holy wallaby...if this gets you spun up, you're not going to last long in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else expect to see a ", Batman" following that?

You don't see the difference between a vulgar reference to a female and a racial slur? Hoe: tasteless and crass. The terms you mentioned: likely to get your ass beat.

The post was a tasteless parody of Ike. Do you really think people say, "Hey, Ike slapped Tina around, and Larry Fishburne looked really good doing it. Maybe I should try it."

Speaking of the number of the number of references to anal sex here...are we encouraging guys to pressure females into that?

Same kind of stupid crap that got Larry Whatzhisface in trouble at Harvard. Far too much is read into what was said. "Obviously, he said A, which can lead to B, which means he's endorsing C."

The original point of the post was to maybe get a bit of justification for the freezing. It didn't meet the 3 "reasons for freeze/ban" that Dynasty had mentioned in his "Advice" thread. No reason given, just wham...done.

I'd prefer that this thread die...there's no point in arguing anymore about what Ike meant. You see it one way, I see it another. I don't care to go over it anymore. Otherwise it'll turn into one of those "You're an idiot, do you see why" threads that has made the Politics section so stupid.

[censored]
06-05-2005, 08:48 PM
What I don't understand is why this post is not also locked. Can we have a simply policy that posts about posts which sucked also suck and should be locked.

Clarkmeister
06-05-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I don't understand is why this post is not also locked. Can we have a simply policy that posts about posts which sucked also suck and should be locked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could just exercise your right to not read or respond to said threads. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ice Man
06-05-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

The whole "advocating violence and threatening language" stuff is total B.S. Its neither one when its an obvious joke. Was it funny? Not really. So just let it go.

The mod stated his terms, then he banned an account that did not fit in his terms.

In the military its called "chicken sh!t."

OtisTheMarsupial
06-06-2005, 02:05 AM
OK I bite

[ QUOTE ]
You don't see the difference between a vulgar reference to a female and a racial slur? Hoe: tasteless and crass. The terms you mentioned: likely to get your ass beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH, so the consequences of the words to the speaker are more important than the consequences to the person being referenced. I see now. Makes perfect sense.

So, since there isn't such a thing as a "sexist slur" then it shouldn't matter. OH I get it.

oh, so since the concept that derogatory terms for women are just as bad as derogatory terms for any other group of people has yet to be named, we ought not to consider it. I see.

thanks for clearing it up for me.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-06-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of the number of the number of references to anal sex here...are we encouraging guys to pressure females into that?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, advocating anal sex is not advocating violence.

Ice Man
06-06-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
, if you really think this was worse than the prank thread, you're way wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not commenting on the prank thread. I didn't read it.
I am talking about the Ike thread.

Jokes about wife beating are
1. not funny
2. wrong

so, in this instance, the moderators did their job

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, ban somebody for a joke about wife beating.

Of course, it logically follows that the mod makes the following comment upon the fait accompli: "You just got bitch slapped."

wacki
06-06-2005, 02:38 AM
You are out of character. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ice Man
06-06-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are out of character. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.

I lost my sense of humor.

Ice Man likes rules and order as much as the next guy. Such are necessary components to an efficient society.

Ice Man does not like despots drunk on their own power who enfoce arbitrary rules to show off how bitchin they are.

Ice Man likes Schmitt's Gay and drinks it in large quantities.

06-06-2005, 03:06 AM
Ice man-

You ok with me

gorie
06-06-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK I bite

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OH, so the consequences of the words to the speaker are more important than the consequences to the person being referenced. I see now. Makes perfect sense.

So, since there isn't such a thing as a "sexist slur" then it shouldn't matter. OH I get it.

oh, so since the concept that derogatory terms for women are just as bad as derogatory terms for any other group of people has yet to be named, we ought not to consider it. I see.

thanks for clearing it up for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
i knew there was a reason i liked you.

masse75
06-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Good lord...let's all get together and have a group hug.

And your condescension really hurts.