PDA

View Full Version : 77 overplays it?

Bodhi
06-04-2005, 09:37 PM
A hand of mine from 6 months ago:

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

utg is sLP preflop, and sLP postflop. The button is a LAG.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Nick Royale
06-04-2005, 09:53 PM
The flop is an easy fold. Given your raise you need to call the 3-bet which leads you to call the turn and fold the river UI.

Evan
06-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Raise preflop. On the flop I'm folding because your position/opponents will often make it impossible for you to see a showdown for a reasonable price. Given your play, the turn and river are okay.

SoftcoreRevolt
06-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Dump this on the flop, what's a SLP betting here besides a jack? I suppose you can stick around for the no gap BSD, but that's about it.

Bodhi
06-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Yup, I thought the same thing today. Thanx for confirming it.

I'm building a little PT file of my past mistakes and this looked like a great example.

Some of them are too awful to post here. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Nick Royale
06-04-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO calling is better in .5-1, but this being 8-handed makes it pretty slim.

Evan
06-04-2005, 10:18 PM
The bad limper UTG and the possibility of getting rid of an over aggressive button that will make this hand harder than necessary to play out of position make this a clear raise. Just because the game is passive doesn't mean you have to be.

Nick Royale
06-04-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The bad limper UTG and the possibility of getting rid of an over aggressive button that will make this hand harder than necessary to play out of position make this a clear raise. Just because the game is passive doesn't mean you have to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't pay attention of the reads, raising is good. if Button is very laggy it won't necessary be a bad thing to get 3-betted either if it gets us HU.

[ QUOTE ]
Just because the game is passive doesn't mean you have to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
In some cases true, but if it's also loose we will often end up in 3-4 way pots which we don't want with 77. We will have a hard time playing postflop with 3 others to the flop. In these cases I think limping is better to get it multiway.

Duerig
06-04-2005, 10:38 PM
The only part of the hand I'm not sure about is the flop. If UTG is passive postflop, I'd put him on at least a pair of jacks, which you are way behind.

Go bears?

Bodhi
06-04-2005, 10:47 PM
The flop raise is to knock out the button, but you are correct about utg.

The bears lost every year I was a student here. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Duerig
06-04-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The flop raise is to knock out the button

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. I'm not advocating calling. I think it's definitely raise / fold.

[ QUOTE ]
The bears lost every year I was a student here. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Deltha O'Neal can only do so much.