PDA

View Full Version : Ipod sounddock

sublime
06-04-2005, 06:40 PM
I am thinking of getting one of these, is the Bose one the best? can i get a sweet ass deal anywhere?

thansk guys

ClassicBob
06-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I have the Bose Sounddock, and I love it. It's quite portable, but sounds amazing. I would highly recommend it if you have the money.

wacki
06-04-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is the Bose one the best?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything made by bose is almost never the best, let alone average. You don't need to be an audiophile to figure that out. Just look at the materials/construction of the magnets/cones/surrounds.

sublime
06-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Just look at the materials/construction of the magnets/cones/surrounds.

yeah i know what none of that means. whats the best then? most value?

jnalpak
06-04-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i bought the JBL version for a friend...he likes it and never complained about the magnets being mis-aligned...

edit: he said the cone quality was eh...

wacki
06-04-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a semi-expert in floor speakers. I don't know that much about the dock stations. I made a post in www.avsforum.com (http://www.avsforum.com) about this just for you. I will get back to you with the results.

BTW, I really would stay away from Bose.

Here is the white papers on Infinity's Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaghram's which are excellent cones.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/technology/whitepapers/cmmd.pdf

Look up the distortion frequency of paper. Then look up what frequencies are projected by tweeters. Now look up what Bose uses as tweeters on many of their speakers. I could write pages about the stuff.

Bose = Crap

sublime
06-04-2005, 07:17 PM
thanks for the help wacki, i await the results of your inquiry. you da man!

cbfair
06-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Back when I was an aspiring audiophile, I used to say "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose". Now that I've given up that dream and consider myself a complete layman, I must admit the Bose systems sound pretty good to me.

I've only heard the dock station once in the store and it sounds fine and is super portable and not ridiculously priced at around $200. I've thought about getting it myself.

Admittably, I've fallen prey to the siren song of the lifestyle 48 system. It's super cool, ultra modular and sounds fantastic to my lowly, untrained ear. Why is this a bad system, besides the $4,000 pricetag? BTW- the lifestyle system is especially attractive because the main speakers are like 4-inch cubes, my wife likes that alot as she hates looking at my Klipsch RF-3s.

Thanks,

cbf

P.S. sorry for the attempted hijack.

2+2 wannabe
06-04-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

yeah i know what none of that means.

[/ QUOTE ]

best. response. ever.

sublime
06-04-2005, 09:33 PM
wacki, what goes on in this other forum? what if this was life and death? wacki!!!!!! i need an answer wacki!

wacki
06-05-2005, 12:20 AM
All in good time sublime.

avsforum is a much smaller forum. The response time is slower but the quality of information is much higher. Kind of like the days when Clarkmeister ruled SS forum and astroglide was the most frequent poster in OOT.

But here is the best ipod dock station available:

Klipsch ifi (http://ipodlounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/hands-on-klipsch-ifi-pre-production/)

This one is a bit expensive. It's around $399. I'll get back to you when I find out what the best deal is.

Going out to get drunk

wacki
06-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Those shopping for speakers for their desktop should look elsewhere, but for a home stereo setting, the iFi is the best sounding iPod speaker system we’ve heard, by a significant margin. In fact, its full, rich sound is comparable to many home stereo systems—you could put together a home system that sounds better, but you’d be hard-pressed to do so for $400, including the convenience of the dock base and remote control. Treble fans probably won’t fall in love with the iFi, but everyone else should guard their pocketbooks. As the first iPod-dockable home speaker system on the market, and one that largely lives up to its advertising hype, the Klipsch iFi is in a class of its own.

http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2005/05/ifi/index.php

sublime
06-05-2005, 12:55 AM
you the man wacki /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanks for the time you took /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wacki
06-11-2005, 01:50 PM
no problem

It looks like that is the only thing that has a dock that people think is worth spending cash on. If you are willing to go sans dock and only use a headphone jack these seem to be pretty good.

Ultra 2.0
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Altec Lansing mx5021

tell me what you did and give us a review please. I have an Ipod too and I might want to buy something like this.

sublime
06-11-2005, 02:08 PM
i will be buying the ifi later this week. review will follow /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wacki
06-14-2005, 01:18 PM
bump to inform repeat posters

sublime
06-15-2005, 05:41 PM
just bought the Klipsch ifi system and set it up. i paid $399 at CompUsa, because I am too impatient to wait for deals. anyways, i will give a laymens review.

the subwoofer and speakers seem like great quality, and 'feel' expensive, if that makes sense. apparently this company has a great reputation as when the warrenty was being explained to me the clerk says there is like 0% chance i will have problems with the speakers blowing. the sound quailty is very good and clear. i ahvent had the chance to turn this bitch out yet, but when my landlord hits the store i will bump it.

its kinda pricey i guess, but you get what you pay for. shizit is tight.

RacersEdge
06-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Bumpage.

I would like to know if the consensus is the Klipsch @ $400 are better than the Bose @ $300. I was listening to the Bose a couple days ago and almost pulled the trigger. It sounds really good - and nice simple design.

Maulik
06-21-2005, 02:40 PM
for the past few years Bose did not give their speakers a power rating, their employees were simply instructed to say, its powerful enough to fill a room. It is true it is difficult to measure the output of speakers as most of the time you are dealing with peak usage (via ratings) and what really matters is continous wattage. Regardless, Klipsch has been in the industry of making good products for many years.
edit: waki, good work.

I learned about Swan Diva M200s from av123.com I beleive they have an afflition with the forum you mentioned and have been blown away by the sound quality, construction and design.

shadow29
06-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Is there something like this for the Dell DJ (I don't have the gen2 one).

sublime
06-21-2005, 03:12 PM
I would like to know if the consensus is the Klipsch @ $400 are better than the Bose @ $300.

Your probably gonna have to take the word of the audio geeks here. all i can say is the ifi has been all i could ask for, it just sounds great.

wacki
06-29-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your probably gonna have to take the word of the audio geeks here. all i can say is the ifi has been all i could ask for, it just sounds great.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very good to hear. I'm glad you liked it.

wacki
06-29-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bumpage.

I would like to know if the consensus is the Klipsch @ $400 are better than the Bose @ $300. I was listening to the Bose a couple days ago and almost pulled the trigger. It sounds really good - and nice simple design.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put any Bose product next to a decent Klipsch system and I'd be amazed if your opinion didn't change.

The bose dock simply doesn't have the cones, or the power, to push anywhere near enough air as the Klipsch. They aren't even in the same class. They aren't even in the same league.

ThaSaltCracka
06-29-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
astroglide was the most frequent poster in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ] whoah whoah whoah, when was this?

sublime
06-29-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very good to hear. I'm glad you liked it.

[/ QUOTE ]

very much so, and thats even usuing in a room thats not really good for sound.

thanks whacki