PDA

View Full Version : Hand that is bugging the crap out of me

Slacker13
06-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Local B&M. 164 people. Blinds double every 20 min. Blinds at 300-600 and about 5 minutes will go up. I only have around 4400 in chips.

I am in the BB. Everyone folds to the button who I do not know. Button limps, Small Blind limps. I look down at 55o. I raise to 2000K. Button starts whinning, says something like damn, i didn't want a raise etc...And I beleived he really didn't want a raise and that he wasn't trying to fvck with my head. Anyway, after about 1 min in the tank he calls leaving him only 1200 in chips and the SB folds.
The flop comes A 10 7 rainbow. I felt the Ace would scare the button so I push all in. The button is now agonizing over making this call so I knew he did not have the ace. He goes into the tank for a good 4 minutes and calls. He shows Q 10.
I fail to complete and am crippled. Out of the touney a few hands later.

This hand has agonized me since yesterday. Did I play this right, or should I have moved in right away? Maybe I shouldn't have raised from the beginning but I felt I had an advantage because I knew the SB well, I have played him before and I knew my initial raise would get him to fold and put me heads up with the button who I have never seen before.

Shilly
06-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Definite push preflop. You don't have enough chips to make the raise that you did, plus you might allow yourself to get outplayed most of the time when he calls.

Lloyd
06-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Easy, easy push pre-flop.

Slacker13
06-04-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Definite push preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your correct and I just needed to hear it. Part of my reasoning was that the table had been pretty tight and I was thinking that the 2k raise would have been enough to steal.

TheTimeIsUp
06-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Yup. What the others said.

Lloyd
06-04-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Definite push preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your correct and I just needed to hear it. Part of my reasoning was that the table had been pretty tight and I was thinking that the 2k raise would have been enough to steal.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not stealing. Stealing is when you have a marginal hands and raise with the hopes of winning the blinds. In this case, you most likely have the best hand pre-flop. You almost definitely have a better hand than the SB. And if the button is shortstacked and limps I'm taking that as he wants to see a cheap flop.

TheTimeIsUp
06-04-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Definite push preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not stealing. Stealing is when you have a marginal hands and raise with the hopes of winning the blinds. In this case, you most likely have the best hand pre-flop. You almost definitely have a better hand than the SB. And if the button is shortstacked and limps I'm taking that as he wants to see a cheap flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Realistily, he is stealing. He is a coinflip in almost any situation and does not want a call. Therefore, it is a steal.

Lloyd
06-04-2005, 05:42 PM
You wouldn't welcome a call? Yes, a coin flip - but one that will fall on his side more often than not. That doesn't meet my definition of a steal. But regardless, the decision is still to push.

TheTimeIsUp
06-04-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You wouldn't welcome a call? Yes, a coin flip - but one that will fall on his side more often than not. That doesn't meet my definition of a steal. But regardless, the decision is still to push.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a steal, but if you get called, you have a slight better chance to win the hand. So yes, if you are not satisfied with a coinflip, which I am not, then it's a steal.

Dan Rutter
06-04-2005, 07:12 PM
I agree, its not a steal, and push pre-flop

Slacker13
06-04-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, its not a steal, and push pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]
I had less than 10x's the amt of the BB and should be pushing in this spot. I know this and for some unknown reason didn't do it.