PDA

View Full Version : those 250 chips look nice

Newt_Buggs
06-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1245)
UTG (t710)
UTG+1 (t930)
MP1 (t2825)
MP2 (t970)
CO (t910)
Button (t860)
Hero (t1550)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls t100, Hero?

$50+5, no reads yet

yid3655
06-04-2005, 04:20 PM
I would be all in here, you have button covered and both would need a bigish hand to call you. Should be an easy pick up

Newt_Buggs
06-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Does anyone else think that hands like A/images/graemlins/spade.gif2/images/graemlins/heart.gif is one of the worst hands to do this with?

lastchance
06-04-2005, 05:52 PM
No. Aces really go up in a short stack game. If your opponents are calling hands where A2o is beaten badly, they're folding enough for you to push anyway.

LeVoodoo
06-04-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think that hands like A/images/graemlins/spade.gif2/images/graemlins/heart.gif is one of the worst hands to do this with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that the PVS falls victim to low pocket pairs, more th an half the time in my experience. Almost all players limp with these hands and at this level many like to call pushes with them too -- for whatever reason. So yeah, A2 is a risky hand to do this with, not much better than 89 or J7 in my experience, and i'm a big proponent of punishing the limpers with a PVS.

dfscott
06-04-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On interesting comment I read elsewhere is that one of the reasons you push with any Ace is three-fold:

1) If you are both unpaired, you will be more likely to win unimproved.

2) Pairing your ace is often good enough to win.

But the key reason that I hadn't thought about before is:

3) By having an A in your hand, the chance that anyone else will have an A is reduced, increasing the chance that no one will call you.

freemoney
06-04-2005, 06:13 PM
yes you will never be a big favorite and will get crying calls from hands such as A5, the problem is everyone on this forum thinks A2 is better than KQ so its better to push with A2, but yes A2 is one of the last hands i will push with and your unstated reasoning is correct.

LeVoodoo
06-04-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) If you are both unpaired, you will be more likely to win unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. What kind of hands are calling pushes here?
I've seen a few monsters, lots of weak Aces and lots of low pocket pairs. A2 doesn't hold up very well against any of these. You are almost always needing to hit a three outer in these cases. Even the most maniacal players would only add KQ, KJ and mayyybe KT to that list. You're not getting called by K-rag or Q-rag.

curtains
06-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I would generally not raise here.

LeVoodoo
06-04-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a big PVS fan, or you don't like here?

Newt_Buggs
06-04-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
care to elaborate curtains? Are you worried that the button will call a large % of the time?

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think that hands like A2 is one of the worst hands to do this with?

[/ QUOTE ]
Almost always you are going to get called by a bigger ace or a pocket, both of which have you crushed

Against 44+ and A6+, K10o wins 37.3%, 89s 38%, and A2 30%.

Also the argument that holding and ace means that your opponent is less likely to have one is somewhat weakened now that you have limpers in since they no longer have random hands but rather hands that they've shown that they like.

wuwei
06-04-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I raise here when I have a couple of good reads that the BB is tight and doesn't make loose calls and the open limper is overly loose and likes to play a lot of hands. If those two reads aren't there, I don't consider raising/pushing.

curtains
06-05-2005, 06:38 AM
I dunno, I guess I think I'll see better situations later.