PDA

View Full Version : Early Comments on NFL 1st Round...

Big Al
12-30-2002, 12:41 PM
Here are some of my thoughts on this weekends NFL playoff games, for what they are worth-which is absolutely nothing.

Atlanta at Green Bay: GB minus 6 1/2. Seems to me Atlanta peaked a tad too early. I like Green Bay in this game. I dont think Atlanta and Vick will care for the cold. I am taking GB and giving the 6 1/2.

Indy at NY Jets: Jets minus 6. I dont care for both of these teams. Jets seem to be peaking at the right time but I just have a gut feeling that they could choke this game. I dont care much for Indy either-too inconsistent. I am staying far away from this one.

Cleveland at Pitt: Pitt minus 8. I dont like Pitt but how in the hell can you bet Cleveland with any confidence? Another game I am staying away from.

NY Giants at SF 49ers: Niners minus 3 1/2. This is the other game I like this week. I like this one quite a bit actually. I think the game against Philly spoke volumes about this team and Fassel. To go back to Barber after his 3 fumbles-what do you think Tiki and the rest of the team think of Fassel? They know if you make a mistake you are not going to be banished (Mike Shanahan could learn something from Fassel). This team is going to lay it all on the line for him. I plan on taking the Giants and the 3 1/2 and playing it hard. Look forward to your thoughts/comments.--Big Al--

TAFKAn
12-30-2002, 01:10 PM
Speaking of peaking. Jets H-O-T hot. Indy has been poor on the road all year except that one game in Denver. I just don't see how the Jets can fail to wipe Indy off the map.

By the way, your Shoe-In last week was far, far better than it looked. Giants dominated the whole way and Tiki did everything he could to throw the game away. He finally came through at the end but my god, if Philly had won the game it would have been one of the least deserved wins of the year. You are the man as always.

Props to your Raiders season total pick, too. I was neutral on it but should have known better!

Good luck in the playoffs and please don't forget to return next year with your shoe-ins.

TAFKAn

David Ottosen
12-30-2002, 02:41 PM
I agree with you on GB, I think they'll blow Atlanta out.

I think the Jets will beat Indy handily, and I'd give the points.

I'd take Pittsburgh to win straight up, but I think Cleveland can cover, if for no other reason than Cleveland's games are ALWAYS within 8 points.

I agree with you about the Giants.

Wildbill
12-30-2002, 04:08 PM
This is the round the dogs do well as most of the teams are suspect in some way. The Jets are too big a favorite here over a live dog. Jets played their best game of the year last week and are inflated because of it. Colts haven't played a tough game down the stretch and think they will be fresh because of it. Not that I am enamored with them, just I was expecting a line of about 3 and at that price would have slightly favored the dog.

MtSmalls
12-31-2002, 04:06 PM
From the Cheap Seats: I agree with taking the Steelers straight up, the points are too high to take comfortably, but I wouldn't bet on the Browns covering either, remember Couch is out, and he was instrumental in both games these two teams played this year.

Stay away from NY/Indy, who the heck can tell about these two teams anyway?

The Pack are an easy pick even at 7. Vick will be playing on the slower track, and you don't mess with Favre this time of year. Vick's turn will come, but not here.

I have much more respect for the Giants than the Niners, but the Giants are just outclassed here, and on the road to boot. This looks a little too easy, but I'd take the Niners in the best pick of the week....

wpod
01-01-2003, 06:24 PM
I'm a huge Steelers fan and usually look for ANY reason to take them, but I just cant find one at -8. This line is way off. The Steelers have a history of playing poorly vs experienced backup QBs. They have Couch's number, anyway. The Steelers D has not played well when Kendrell Bell has been injured and I dont think he will play. If he does, he wont be the same. Also, pay close attention to the weather as it is becoming evident that Maddox is not a good cold weather QB. On top of it all, these teams seem to always play a tight game.

I guess what I'm trying to say...even though I cant bet against my Steelers and I do think they will win a tight one, Cle +8 could be the best opportunity of the playoffs.

Trefo
01-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Here's the play Al.
YOu tease G.B with Pitt both of them are going to win and it's guaranteed they will cover if you tease them down -.5 and -2 respectively.
As for the jets read my Dec. 29th post and you will see that I guaranteed victory against The Pack and i'm doing it again against the Colts.....Chad Pennington is the highest rated passer in the AFC and if they take away Harrison Peyton will be in some trouble.

Jets 31-14.

Wildbill
01-02-2003, 11:38 PM
I love it...let the guarantees begin! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

EZ$$$
01-03-2003, 10:20 AM
"This is the round the dogs do well as most of the teams are suspect in some way."

Read NFL WILDCARD PLAYOFF NOTES at GOLDSHEET.COM

"The Jets are too big a favorite here over a live dog...I was expecting a line of about 3 and at that price would have slightly favored the dog."

Read this column.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/u/ce/column/0,2863,6084371,00.html

Wildbill
01-03-2003, 09:30 PM
Gee if they are that overmatched, why stop at 6??? Just a difference in opinion. I think the Colts haven't played that hard late in the season because they have faced an easy schedule for the most part. I don't think the Jets have played all that great either except for the Pack game. After all with the playoffs seemingly on the line they couldn't muster anything against the Bears. How do they suddenly become that much better of a team one the merits of just one game?