PDA

View Full Version : Player Revealing Stats at the Table (NC OT)

maddog2030
06-04-2005, 03:31 PM
I was playing a $22 SNG with another 2+2er I've seen post here. I tried getting his attention using the code word, but I don't know the code phrase and apparently he didn't either. Anyway, this other guy decides to start talking...

[ QUOTE ]
DnglBryFairy: jcm4ccc, you into brown trout?
CyberSEAL: jcm is tightest player at table, pays to see flop 13%of the time
CyberSEAL: has best showdows percentages too...
CyberSEAL: dngl and jcm have bets stats here, use edge database, its the best
CyberSEAL: dngl has one interesting not in his stats though... =)
DnglBryFairy: what's that
CyberSEAL: dunno if i should say, might help the others...hehe
DnglBryFairy: haha alright
CyberSEAL: according to this, you have postflop aggression score or 13, which is really high
CyberSEAL: indicates you probably bluff a helluva lot
DnglBryFairy: yeah
DnglBryFairy: i am the bluff master
CyberSEAL: 1.5 is average, 6 is through the roof
CyberSEAL: hehe, don't usually see anything as high as 13

[/ QUOTE ]

The conversation went on for a few minutes longer as I asked him what program he used. He said it was the edge or something. I'm too lazy and don't care enough to google it.

Anyway he busted out in about 8th, so so much for his little program. Obviously this is bad etiquette to be announcing other people's stats in the chatroom of the game. I played along because I honestly don't care what most $22 players think of my play so I didn't make a big deal of it, even though I could have if I thought it was going to make a significant impact on my chances to win the game. Another reason was that this was early when the blinds were still fairly small, so people calling my aggressive play was only going to get me chips since I almost always have the best hand this early in the SNG. At worst, I figured, it would help get me some calls early on if anyone took the information seriously.

But to my question, how many of you guys have had these Prophecy, et al. players being a little too liberal in their chatboxes? Once the damage is done there's little you can do to undo it. Do you notice if it affects how people react to you?

igotBlackJak
06-04-2005, 04:00 PM
imo, someone who is saying this in the chatroom is someone you are not afraid of at the table. Why would you spend money to gain and edge, and then share your edge... that's -EV... Problem is with other people hearing this info...

At the 22s I dont know how many people are smart enough to use this info against you. Think about most of the 2+2ers or really good players have 4-16 screens open and have chat off...

Only people reading and doing chat are mostly ppl playing 1 game trying to figure out whether to call the 3 re-raises on his AJ.

IF they do listen and try to apply it, then you have the edge because you can change your style accordingly. THese kinds of stats are useless if you know they know (that make since?)...

word

maddog2030
06-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Right. At the $22s, like I said, I really wasn't worried about what he said. Not to mention telling them I bluff a lot when its the early stages of the SNG most likely only helps me. Unfortunately I didn't ever get a hand in this particular SNG to get paid off with.

But I'm still curious if anyone's had this happen and actually have it have a tangible effect on how the table reacts to you. I'm not suggesting this is a useful tool or anything. Anyone who could really take advantage of it has probably already picked up on your play, even more so in the higher buyins where seeing someone again happens more than once a week.

jcm4ccc
06-04-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing a $22 SNG with another 2+2er I've seen post here. I tried getting his attention using the code word, but I don't know the code phrase and apparently he didn't either.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a code? Damn, I didn't know that.

If I had been smarter, I would have started playing more aggressively. Since he told the whole table I was tight, they would have respected my raises more.

maddog2030
06-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Yeah, there's a code phrase which has something to do with brown trout, since most 2+2ers prefer not to go around advertising this place. Anyway, I figured if you knew the code phrase, "brown trout" would be enough to give away what I meant.

As far as changing gears, I doubt at the table it would've made much difference. They were giving away their chips. These $22s are way too profitable while just playing ABC poker. I've made over 2k the past 2 weeks with about 30 hours of ABC play.

jcm4ccc
06-04-2005, 04:24 PM
so that was you that said "brown trout." I thought I was being insulted in some way. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Newt_Buggs
06-04-2005, 04:35 PM
when I used to play the $20s I had a few tables where someone accounced my poker prophecty stats. I figured that this would only help though since bad players would be more intimidated by a player with good stats and less likely to call steals.

tminus
06-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Bad form IMO, imagine sitting down at a live game with 9 strangers and pulling something like this...another example of how online play can become such a piss fight. I dont think it affects your game that much because you can always adjust to it.

If he's doing this to anyone WHILE they're playing a hand though, I'd be pissed because that can influence how people react to the plays.

Along this line, I just played a game last week where two players (who were not in the hand) instructed the people in my hand how to play me. Collusion? probably not, but it's rude. I gave them a private message telling them to cut it out and when the kept it up I reported it to Party Poker who revoked their chat privlges and kindly refunded me the buyin.

It also made me consider how I behave during a game when I lose.

Big Limpin'
06-04-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
DnglBryFairy: jcm4ccc, you into brown trout?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound like you're hitting on him. Not that theres anything wrong with that. /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

astarck
06-06-2005, 07:59 AM
I love the name....DnglBryFairy....brilliant.

pergesu
06-06-2005, 08:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing a $22 SNG with another 2+2er I've seen post here. I tried getting his attention using the code word, but I don't know the code phrase and apparently he didn't either.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a code? Damn, I didn't know that.

If I had been smarter, I would have started playing more aggressively. Since he told the whole table I was tight, they would have respected my raises more.

[/ QUOTE ]

"supbro does the brown trout sleep in the closet with curtains (cause he's gay) all in morans bwahahahaha ship it holla"

Degen
06-06-2005, 08:04 AM
get your codes right

Curtains is gay-is **THE OFFICIAL**STT FORUM SECRET HANDSHAKE

Andre

45suited
06-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Last week, a guy at my table at the 11s gave out our pokerprophecy stats at the beginning of the game and said that I was the favorite at the table. After playing my usual tight game in early levels, the other players probably gave my bubble steals more respect than they otherwise would (I got away with several uncontested steals), instead of less, so I didn't mind. I don't really think that many players say to themselves, "This guy has a good ITM, he must steal alot."

In your case, what the guy said was bad form though, but again, my guess is that it didn't affect play too much.

hummusx
06-06-2005, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
get your codes right

Curtains is gay-is **THE OFFICIAL**STT FORUM SECRET HANDSHAKE

Andre

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't work very well if most of the people here don't know it. I was under the impression that it was something else...