PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football Sleepers

The Armchair
06-04-2005, 03:22 PM
With June 1 cuts being past us, I'm putting together my first list of fantasy sleepers. Anyone have suggestions?

I'll post my guys at the end of the list. Oh, no TEs or defenses -- just PK, QB, RB, or WR.

miajag81
06-04-2005, 03:33 PM
I think Kevin Jones could still be considered a "sleeper."

Dynasty
06-04-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll post my guys at the end of the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you go first.

The Armchair
06-04-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm studying for the bar and need to get through Real Property before I cobble the list. Mine will mostly be WRs.

BottlesOf
06-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Like Coles?

The Armchair
06-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm looking more for guys who would go undrafted in most leagues -- Coles and KJones don't really fall into that category. That's why I don't have time to make my list right now, but I'll come up with a few. It's also why WRs tend to be the most likely guys, as RBs are usually known to have jobs.

BWebb
06-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Since I don't play in leagues with you guys, what the hell.

PK-Edinger, Rackers
QB-Palmer
RB-Tough to name a sleeper RB, most are sleepers because the starter gets hurt. Of RB's not taken in the 1st or 2nd round, maybe a Foster or Barlow.
WR-Branch, M. Robinson

That's just a quick list off the top of my head, and it still only June.

The Armchair
06-04-2005, 10:37 PM
I think most of the guys mentioned are really on the radar already. Branch and Palmer are good names because they'll be overlooked to a large degree, but they don't make my list of pure sleepers -- guys who will be around on the last two rounds absent a speculator.

Right now, my list is short. I don't have a RB on it, mostly because I think the guys who are closest to "sleeper" candidates will get drafted before the middle rounds. JJ Arrington springs to mind there. I'd also put Larry Johnson and Maurice Clarett on the list, because I think they are both an injury away from a great opportunity. Because of the lack of competition, the fact that Priest is old, and because he is more talented, LJ is high on my sleeper list. Finally, I'm eyeing the TEN backup job -- Jarrett Payton maybe? -- because of Chris Brown's injury problems.

QB: It depends on the league you're in. In many leagues, guys like Eli Manning, David Carr, and Carson Palmer will be available in late rounds. Those leagues don't need to reach for a QB hoping to hit the lottery, because you can just take an established young QB. There are few true sleepers here. If I have to, I'd say Rex Grossman, who is going to have a quality receiver and no QB chomping at the bit to take his job. I also think a lot of people will forget that Brian Griese is going to be a QB for a coach who loves to pass the football.

PK: Whatever. It's not worth a draft pick on a PK -- you can get a serviceable leg on waivers after the draft. But if I must? Todd Peterson.

WR: The real list is here, as always. Samie Parker (KC), Reche Caldwell (SD), Arnaz Battle (SF), Tyrone Calico (TEN), and Michael Jenkins (ATL) seem to be the best guys out there who would otherwise get passed over. Calico may be too well known to get sleeper status, but the rest will almost certainly be on the board in the late rounds.

Davey
06-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Probally just cause Im a Bills fan Im going to say Travis Henry should be on a sleeper list. Im pretty sure he is still going to get traded and he shouldnt be a backup to whatever teams trades for him. And if there is an injury to someones starter he is better than the 2nd string players already there.

I havent seen any lists so I dont know if Lee Evans would be considered a sleeper or not but he should have a better season even with JP Losman (another sleeper) starting his first games.

MarkL444
06-04-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Kevin Jones could still be considered a "sleeper."

[/ QUOTE ]

doubt it, too many people will see this. the WR trio should open holes for him like mad. plus the boys good. if anything i could see his value getting bloated big time.

handsome
06-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Koren Robinson (WR)
Ben Roethlisberger (QB)

2+2 wannabe
06-05-2005, 12:26 AM
RB - whoever the broncos running back is

The Armchair
06-05-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Koren Robinson (WR)
Ben Roethlisberger (QB)

[/ QUOTE ]

Robinson is a good sleeper if he ends up as a #2 on the right team. He'll be passed over by many and he clearly has talent. But right now, he is getting few phone calls. My biggest concern with Koren is that he'll be learning a new system and will be doing so rather late.

Roethlisberger is going to be overrated by most fantasy leagues, as he is on a run-first offense that does not ask the QB to throw for 400 yards and four TDs. For example, in his 14 games, Ben threw more than 25 passes only once. On the other hand, Carson Palmer, in his 13 starts, threw fewer than 25 passes only twice, including a 24-pass game versus New England which he left due to injury in the third quarter. Both Roethlisberger and Palmer should go at about the same point in fantasy drafts, but Palmer is the better choice.