06-04-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NYC steak experts, please compare/contrast the following:

Luger
Wolfgang's
Mark Joseph

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Spark's?

I'm no NYC steak expert but I like Luger's. I think it's especially good with a nice group of friends because it just seems more ideal that way. For a date or more intimate meal, I like Spark's.

IMO, of course. Enjoy you lucky bastard! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

istewart
06-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I have only been to the first two. In my opinion, Luger is the only way to go, although Wolfgang's is nearly the exact same thing -- maybe a bit cheaper. The ambience at Luger is better (as well as the Schlag, omg the Schlag). Other than that, nearly all the sides at each (fries, spinach) are the same, if I remember correctly.

It is a [censored] pain to get to Peter Luger though.

istewart
06-04-2005, 03:48 PM
I would add Smith and Wollensky's too. It wouldn't be on my personal list though.

BottlesOf
06-04-2005, 03:49 PM
I didn't really love Sparks. Palm has very good steak.

The consensus is Luger's is the best and I don't think that's just b/c it's th epopular thing to say. From my understanding, it truley is the best.

Diablo, Do you live in NYC now, there have been a slew of OOT posts from you referencing NYC in some way?

Ulysses
06-04-2005, 04:21 PM
So you thought the steak at Wolfgang's was pretty much as good as Luger?

istewart
06-04-2005, 04:29 PM
A notch below Luger, maybe. But very close, in my opinion.

Haven't had the filet mignon at either place.

ClaytonN
06-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Have you ever been down to Atlanta, El D?

Somewhat off-topic, but I could recommend a few really good steak houses down there.

Prob not in same league as NYC though. Just a guess.

BretWeir
06-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Luger is tops. Haven't been to the other two, but I've been to a lot of NYC steakhouses (Palm, Sparks, Del Frisco's, Dylan Prime, Ben Benson's, etc.) and Luger beats them all.

If you go there, make sure you order a side of the bacon (not on the menu). It's as good as the steak.

BretWeir
06-04-2005, 04:42 PM
They don't have filet at Luger -- just porterhouse.

istewart
06-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Hmm, yeah this is true, for some reason I thought they did.

Oh yeah, and the PL sauce is tops.

Ulysses
06-04-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Somewhat off-topic, but I could recommend a few really good steak houses down there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Chops, Bones, and Highland Tap in Atlanta.

Ulysses
06-04-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A notch below Luger, maybe. But very close, in my opinion.

Haven't had the filet mignon at either place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm prob going to either MJ or Wolfgang's this week. Couldn't get a good res at Luger. I'll prob have the porterhouse wherever I go for comparison's sake.

Ulysses
06-04-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm currently splitting time between SF and NYC. The two places I mentioned (MJ, Wolfgang's) are both run by former Luger employees.

ClaytonN
06-04-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Chops, Bones, and Highland Tap in Atlanta.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have it as Bones, Chops, and Highland Tap in that order. I've been to Bones for every memorable date (birthdays, graduation celebration, etc).

You know your steak. Atlanta steak, anyways

Ulysses
06-04-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Luger is tops. Haven't been to the other two, but I've been to a lot of NYC steakhouses (Palm, Sparks, Del Frisco's, Dylan Prime, Ben Benson's, etc.) and Luger beats them all.

If you go there, make sure you order a side of the bacon (not on the menu). It's as good as the steak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to the first four of those and agree w/ you. These two places are run by former Luger employees, supposedly same quality dry-aged beef, basically trying to create an equivalent dining experience in the city.

I believe both Wolfgang's and MJ have the same stuff as Luger's, including the back bacon. At Luger, we sometimes order the back bacon for dessert. They don't find that strange. A friend of mine went to MJ the other night and they looked at him strangely when he did that instead of getting the Key Lime Pie.

BretWeir
06-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Sounds good... I'll have to try them. I'd love to have a Luger substitute without the drive into Brooklyn.

Mark Joseph's is downtown, right?

jnalpak
06-04-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NYC steak experts, please compare/contrast the following:

Luger
Wolfgang's
Mark Joseph

[/ QUOTE ]

From a NY'er to everyone else:

Peter Lugers:
The original and nothing will ever compare. The brooklyn original is the only one you should ever go to. The great neck version is eh, but it gets the job done...
Appetizer: BACON STRIP's
Party of 4 gets steak for 4 medium rare.
Sides are hash browns, sauteed spinach
NO CREDIT CARDS!!!! You definitly have nothing to worry about carrying around big bills in your pocket in this area. though kinda shady its still very nice with valet parking and plenty of taxis to bring you back into the city.

Wolfgang's
Old captain of the brooklyn lugars is Wolfgang who openned his own place on park ave south. THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE IN NYC FOR STEAK HANDS DOWN. The seafood platter appetizer is delicious and the BACON is just fu#*in incredible too.
Here is a great tip also for the appetizer: get the wolfgang salad (shirmp app with tomato/onion/little lettuce) and a side of bacon. OUT OF CONTROL. They take credit card which is a nice thing too.

Those like Mark Joseph, Mortons, Ben Bensons try and dont ever mention ruths chris (IMHO THE WORST IN THE WORLD). They try too hard to be better then the others and it fails. Lugers and Wolfgangs dont try and it comes out perfect.

fluxrad
06-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Is there something we're supposed to know about NYC steak that makes it better than anywhere else?

Do you get like a free blow job or something with each steak?

jnalpak
06-04-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you get like a free blow job or something with each steak?

[/ QUOTE ]

If there was a free BJ there i would probably be more of a regular but unfortunatly there are non offered. Also, the avg age of the waitstaff is like 50 MINIMUM.

Its tough to explain but the bottom line is that Steak chop shops have been around in NY fo eva and its an atmosphere type of thing you wont find ANYWHERE but NY. only place else that would compare would be Gene&Gorgetties in Chicago (That place can make a steak to enjoy)

NY waitstaff is aged like the joints steak. So if you dont like NY'ers to begin with you probably wont like the experiences at any ny joint. With that said, if you do enjoy a NY attitude once in a while then you will thoroughly enjoy these places...

Ulysses
06-05-2005, 02:41 AM
Cool, thanks J. OK, Wolfgang's it is. Heading there Wed night for some porterhouse, back bacon, creamed spinach, and whatever sort of great fried potatoes they offer.

I'm surprised you're so anti-Mark Joseph. I've heard decent things about it from some Luger fans.

Ulysses
06-08-2005, 03:05 PM
A friend and I are going to Wolfgang's tonight. We will be ordering:

Porterhouse for 2
Creamed Spinach
Bacon

and here is the question:

German Potatoes or Cottage Fries?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

PS - for lunch today I had a spicy tuna roll and a salmon/avocado roll.

jakethebake
06-08-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cottage Fries?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I have no idea what these are, I'm going to say German Potatoes.

IndieMatty
06-08-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Porterhouse for 2
Creamed Spinach
Bacon

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have went to DelMonicos. But I guess you can't pass up Wolfgangs. Get the German Potatos.

Guy Incognito
06-08-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have it as Bones, Chops, and Highland Tap in that order. I've been to Bones for every memorable date (birthdays, graduation celebration, etc).

You know your steak. Atlanta steak, anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

Bones an easy first, followed by Ruth's Chris, Fogo de Chao, and Stoney River.

I thought Chops was overrated, but I only went once, possibly just a bad night.

Never been to Highland Tap.

PokerNoob
06-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Chops has better quality meat, cooked better than Bones. I've had more mehworthy steaks at Bones than anywhere else, but it is still a good place. Best steak I ever had was at the Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead.

Sen. VernonTrent
06-08-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Luger

[/ QUOTE ]

And you can take that to the bank.

jakethebake
06-08-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Luger

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure taking a Luger into a bank is not a good idea.

pshreck
06-08-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Luger

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Sen. VernonTrent
06-08-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Luger

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't arrest me, I'm a United States Senator goddammit.

Dead
06-08-2005, 04:10 PM
There's nothing wrong with it. Lots of people here carry concealed into banks when they are withdrawing lots of money, for their own safety.

razor
06-08-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

IgnoredUsers++

Sen. VernonTrent
06-08-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

IgnoredUsers++

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you said this dock was clean.

theghost
06-08-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(as well as the Schlag, omg the Schlag)

[/ QUOTE ]

the schlag is mandatory, probably the highlight of the meal (as good steak is good many places, even at home)

NiceCatch
06-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Frankie and Johnny's is a great place for a steak... excellent chops, a bit less expensive. Kind of tucked away on 45th. Doesn't have the rep of other places, but their ribeyes and prime rib were just fabulous. I've heard people having issues with the crowds and the service; I went on a Sat night, and had no issues with either.

EDIT: Actually, my bad, the one I went to was on 37th; the decor was really nice (which I heard is not true for the one on 45th).

PoBoy321
06-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Smith & Wollensky is still the best steak I've ever had.

Ulysses
06-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Getting close to the wire here. I really need some expert assistance from someone w/ experience here:

"Don't miss a platter of cottage fries--thick, large and warm freshly fried potato slices"

"including great Frisbee-size cottage fries, and old-fashioned German potatoes (hashed potatoes fried with onions)."

"very good (German potatoes, with sweeter onions than the Luger version)."

COTTAGE FRIES OR GERMAN POTATOES? I NEED TO KNOW!!!!

NiceCatch
06-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Um, I think it's pretty clear, El D. Do you like onions with your potatoes or not?

jnalpak
06-08-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Porterhouse for 2
Creamed Spinach
Bacon

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

COTTAGE FRIES...

jnalpak
06-08-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting close to the wire here. I really need some expert assistance from someone w/ experience here:

"Don't miss a platter of cottage fries--thick, large and warm freshly fried potato slices"

"including great Frisbee-size cottage fries, and old-fashioned German potatoes (hashed potatoes fried with onions)."

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry buddy was a little busy today...HOPEFULLY I CAN HELP

COTTAGE FRIES!!!!!!!!!

Ulysses
06-08-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

COTTAGE FRIES!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, j!

jnalpak
06-08-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

COTTAGE FRIES!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, j!

[/ QUOTE ]

enjoy, i want a TRIP REPORT TONIGHT!!!!!

jnalpak
06-08-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Frankie and Johnny's is a great place for a steak... excellent chops, a bit less expensive. Kind of tucked away on 45th. Doesn't have the rep of other places, but their ribeyes and prime rib were just fabulous. I've heard people having issues with the crowds and the service; I went on a Sat night, and had no issues with either.

EDIT: Actually, my bad, the one I went to was on 37th; the decor was really nice (which I heard is not true for the one on 45th).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have issues with this place, it was the first place i went to as a steak noob with my folks b/f i saw phantom opera. From what i remember now i hated it and the steak was terrible....

come to think of it, is it fair to judge a place after not being there for almost 15 years /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Diplomat
06-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Don't forget to make someone order the german potatoes so you can have some to compare.

-Diplomat

HDPM
06-08-2005, 06:54 PM
yes, the obvious answer is both. I mean what does a side of spuds cost, even at a nice steak house in NYC? $5? $6. $8? Get both and tell us which is better. El D has agonized more than the cost of an extra side.

Mason Storm
06-08-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Luger

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna take you to the bank, Senator...to the blood bank.

http://www.steven-seagal.net/photopost/data/2/462hard_to_kill_1990_9-med.jpg

Ulysses
06-08-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes, the obvious answer is both. I mean what does a side of spuds cost, even at a nice steak house in NYC? $5? $6. $8? Get both and tell us which is better. El D has agonized more than the cost of an extra side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe in ordering food that is definitely going to go unfinished and thrown away.

nolanfan34
06-08-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe in ordering food that is definitely going to go unfinished and thrown away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say, price isn't a factor when you're spending what you do on rioja these days.

Sen.VernonTrent
06-14-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Luger

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna take you to the bank, Senator...to the blood bank.

http://www.steven-seagal.net/photopost/data/2/462hard_to_kill_1990_9-med.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a dead man Storm!!!!

You're not going to get away with this, I promise you!

sfer
06-14-2005, 11:15 AM
I'll be going to Luger in July for my annual pilgrammage.