PDA

View Full Version : I'm pretty new to SnG's..I have a few questions...

stillbr
06-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Didnt see any type of FAQ...sorry..

anyways..ive been 6-tabling 3-6, but I'm trying to take up all different kinds of games now to help me with burn out. I keep about a 1200 BB bankroll for 3-6..so you get the idea of where i stand.

Anyways I'm starting out low with the SnG's to get some practice first...I have been 4 tabling $22's ...and the average play seems to be very very poor.

How many SnG's do I need to play before I can begin to determin my ROI%?

What is a good Avg finish? What should my inthe money % be around?

I've read that 22's and 33's pretty much have the same level of player. How big is the 55 jump? 110's? 215's?

Given my BR, once i feel comfortable playing SnG's, working my way up, what would be a good level for me to play? is 7000 sufficient for 110's? or will I need to save some and build my BR a little?

Thks

Voltron87
06-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Play about 500 and then you can start taking your ROI seriously. If you're just beginning though, you should be improving and the first 200 or so will be played at a lesser proficiency, so don't take this number too seriously.

A good ITM is 40%, and just make sure youre winning money starting out. Try not to have more 3rds than 1sts or seconds, read the forum and learn about bubble play, there is no real "magic distribution", just don't play passive and go for 3rd. Sometimes going for 3rd is right, but not generally.

A good br for a start is around 50 buy ins.

beeyjay
06-04-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many SnG's do I need to play before I can begin to determin my ROI%?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thousands. You can tell if you're winning after 500-1000ish though more than likely. As you've played other games you can probably tell if you're winning sooner than that just by comparing your play to that of others.

[ QUOTE ]
What is a good Avg finish? What should my inthe money % be around?

[/ QUOTE ]

ITM of 40% is kind of the benchmark. At the 22 a little bit higher is definitly possible.

[ QUOTE ]
I've read that 22's and 33's pretty much have the same level of player. How big is the 55 jump? 110's? 215's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Each jump players get a little better. the 55s is a decently big jump because of the extra starting chips involved but the players are not overwhelmingly better.

[ QUOTE ]
Given my BR, once i feel comfortable playing SnG's, working my way up, what would be a good level for me to play? is 7000 sufficient for 110's? or will I need to save some and build my BR a little?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 50 buyins is a good size .Some say more some say less. If you're willing to move down when you hit a bad run is a big factor as is your ability to reload.

microbet
06-04-2005, 03:06 PM
You sound like a solid player. I'm sure your cash game skills are great for the lower buyin tables, but make sure you understand the adjustments you need to make for a STT before you move up.

If you are playing NL, there are more adjustments. This forum is almost exclusively about NL Hold'em.

If you are a good player coming over to STTs, can you go back into the 3-6 world and bring over some really bad players to even things out?

stillbr
06-04-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You sound like a solid player. I'm sure your cash game skills are great for the lower buyin tables, but make sure you understand the adjustments you need to make for a STT before you move up.

If you are playing NL, there are more adjustments. This forum is almost exclusively about NL Hold'em.

If you are a good player coming over to STTs, can you go back into the 3-6 world and bring over some really bad players to even things out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am playing NL SnG's. The level of play I have encountered is so increadibly low. It doesnt seem like it would take much to be a winning player at this level. I am working out my standards for pushing during bubble play. But once I get comfortable in those situations I will go ahead and move up to 33's

I wish some of these players would come over to 3-6, but most people in the small stakes forum way over exagurate how tough they are. The key is just playing at your best at all times. There are few very good 3-6 players IMO. I never ever have a problem finding 6 tables that I like. I play a good bit during the day hours too.

BTW..can yall see my avatar?

microbet
06-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I can't see your avatar.

stillbr
06-04-2005, 03:46 PM
do you know how i can get it up? i linked it to my computer...what is the correct way of doing it?

stillbr
06-04-2005, 03:54 PM
can you see it now?

adanthar
06-04-2005, 03:58 PM
I was a winning 3/6 player and OK at 5/10 before I switched to SNG's. I'd say 3/6 is maybe equivalent to the 33's or 55's in terms of toughness. I now beat the 109's 4 tabling (well, probably, I don't have the sample size yet.)

BTW, since you play limit regularly, could you please comment on this thread? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2476864&page=8&view=colla psed&sb=4&o=&fpart=1)

freemoney
06-04-2005, 03:58 PM
si

stillbr
06-04-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was a winning 3/6 player and OK at 5/10 before I switched to SNG's. I'd say 3/6 is maybe equivalent to the 33's or 55's in terms of toughness. I now beat the 109's 4 tabling (well, probably, I don't have the sample size yet.)

BTW, since you play limit regularly, could you please comment on this thread? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2476864&page=8&view=colla psed&sb=4&o=&fpart=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

replying to that post will take some time...I'm about to head to the lib to study for a test monday, but I will try to get to it by tonight....at what level of SnG's did it becomoe more profitable for you to play than 3-6? Were you a multi-tabler?

adanthar
06-04-2005, 04:19 PM
It's hard to say because this was a while ago, but basically, if you can make 2 BB/hour/table at 3/6, to make the equivalent $ playing SNG's means you need a 20% ROI in the 55's. That's towards the high end of what's attainable there but it's doable. You also have a lot less variance playing SNG's than limit.

Note: rakeback is a lot better for limit so that alters it somewhat.

Big Limpin'
06-04-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW..can yall see my avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, its BLACKZILLA !!!!!! (smokin the trees)

Hey you hear Chapp is in rehab? Heroin or some ish. Better not affect season 4.

stillbr
06-04-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
playing SNG's means you need a 20% ROI in the 55's. That's towards the high end of what's attainable there but it's doable.

[/ QUOTE ]

20% ROI seems low to me...is 20% really a number to shoot for?

dfscott
06-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the club. You sound like you might've been a better 3/6 player than I, but I've worked my way up from the 11s since February (only playing 8-12 SnGs per day) and I'm taking shots at the 55s now. It's an adjustment, but if you're a SSH-style player (who isn't these days), you shouldn't have much trouble adjusting. This forum is very helpful (more helpful than the limit forums, IMHO), so you should be in good shape to get better fast.

It's also a lot more fun. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kiffl
06-04-2005, 06:26 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=191 8735&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

There is the FAQ for SNG's, I don't know why this isn't a sticky.