PDA

View Full Version : Interesting straight draw play

BZ_Zorro
06-04-2005, 02:26 PM
I was an observer in this hand...Hero was a 2+2 regular.

Villain is overly aggressive with average hands and not that sophisticated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB ($305.65)
UTG ($96.5)
UTG+1 ($87.5)
MP1 ($99.85)
MP2 ($263.3)
MP3 (Hero)/ ($99.5)
CO ($244.9)
Button (Villain)/ ($100.95)
SB ($99)

Hero is MP3 with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Preflop: SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 (Hero) calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button (Villain) calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $4, Villain calls $4.

Flop: ($17) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $30</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $20.

Turn: ($77) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20...</font>

At first it seemed horrendous but looking at it some more maybe the line was ok. $20 into a $57 pot might be ok if implied odds are factored in.

Anyone do anything differently?

swolfe
06-04-2005, 02:35 PM
fold preflop twice

i'd check-raise the turn

xorbie
06-04-2005, 05:59 PM
This hand isn't getting much response, so I'll just explain my actions. PF limp is eh, not terrible. The table is playing really LAG so I'm pretty sure if I do flop a nice hand I will probably get action.

The SB raiser is a bit of a straightforward donk, so I'm thinking I can probably take it on most flops if checked to. On the flop, plan is going well. He checks, I bet, and button will fold without a hand most likely.

On his raise, I do a quick calculation. Getting about 3:1 with 6:1 implied odds on a 5:1 draw with a possibility that he checks behind on the turn.

Turn I bet out because I've bet and folded bluffs several times already on both flop and turn so I think villain is probably raising me here again. On the off chance he just calls, I can easy push on river and get called.

crazygeorge
06-05-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't know what was more amazing:

1) That you caught it and got paid off
2)You called a raise preflop
3)You called a large bet chasing that knwoign a deuce is one of the hardest cards to draw to

But my hat goes off to you,a nyone who calls that down and gets paid off is deservant.

Ghazban
06-05-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... knwoign a deuce is one of the hardest cards to draw to

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

iraise50
06-05-2005, 09:09 PM
I usually play tight, and am getting pretty aggressive with hands, but am still learning. I can understand and apply new concepts well once I understand the inner working of the idea, and see that it's valid. Can you please explain to me, as you explained your actions once, already, but to clarify to me...why its good to call a pre-flop raise with 6-5 offsuit. I'm not saying its not, I'm not saying you made an error, I'm saying that as I move up in the size of games I encounter this at least as much as in lower limits.
Why is that a good play?
How do you get away from your hand if either a spade or club falls on the river?
Theoretical poker speaking...how does making that play make money in the long run. I'm speaking pre-flop here, not if you get a Big Blind Special...

xorbie
06-06-2005, 12:38 AM
It's not good all the time. It's good because in this particular occasion I knew the PF raiser would fold if he missed his hand. He only needs to fold less than 1/2 the time here for to me make instant profit solely by him folding. Then there are the times I hit a straight, two pair or trips and manage to get more off him in case he does have a strong hand (AA/KK/AK or something that hits).

Also I fail to see how I could get away from anything if a spade/club falls on the river because I'm all in, but fortunatly I was about 90% sure I was not getting raised by a flush draw here.