PDA

View Full Version : Since when do moderators control topical content?

DavidC
06-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Someone posted something that perhaps should have been moved to the politics forum.

One of the moderators here deleted the thread and asked that it be posted in the politics forum.

1) That's a pretty subjective judgement call.

2) When the hell did moderators get that kind of discretion.

Hey man, if you want to get rid of swearing (you could catch me for that, and I would appologize), nudity, rascism, homophobia, etc., that's fine.

But I don't think it's the role of the moderator to determine what an "other" topic is.

I know that there's MANY regulars here that would disagree... but it feels way too much like unnecessary censorship to me.

Any comments, please feel welcome to post them.

And yeah, this COULD be cross-posted to the politics forum, but whatever.

--Dave.

hoopsie44
06-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Maybe they control replies also.

razor
06-04-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I don't think it's the role of the moderator to determine what an "other" topic is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing you don't get do decide then.

If someone is posting something in OOT that belongs in the Politics forum, than that person really hasn't grasped the concept of "Other" topics.

Frequitude
06-04-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm trying to figure out why that pranks thread got locked....that story was pretty funny.

Edit: ...and then I looked a few threads up. Oops.

bisonbison
06-04-2005, 02:53 PM
B& 4 SASS

Los Feliz Slim
06-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I posted my story in the wrong thread because I thought the other one was long dead. I take it that once the old thread had been referenced the story should've been added there? In my relatively short time here I've seen the same topics posted two or three times...I guess it's the new sheriffs in town.

Which is probably for the best, because if Mitch found out I posted that on the internet he'd be even more pissed.

maryfield48
06-04-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone posted something that perhaps should have been moved to the politics forum.

One of the moderators here deleted the thread and asked that it be posted in the politics forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that you're referring to my post with the link to the satellite photos of environmental change. If so, a slight correction - the moderator didn't ask that it be posted in Politics. He moved it to politics, and put a note in the thread stating what he had done.

[ QUOTE ]
1) That's a pretty subjective judgement call.

2) When the hell did moderators get that kind of discretion.

Hey man, if you want to get rid of swearing (you could catch me for that, and I would appologize), nudity, rascism, homophobia, etc., that's fine.

I know that there's MANY regulars here that would disagree... but it feels way too much like unnecessary censorship to me.

Any comments, please feel welcome to post them.

And yeah, this COULD be cross-posted to the politics forum, but whatever.

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess pre-emptive action has gained legitimacy recently. There was nothing inherently political about the photos. As I said before, sure, they might have spawned a political discussion. But that hadn't happened yet. There have been lots of threads in OOT that have political content, but I don't think it's been a big problem.

I think the mod pulled the trigger too soon on that thread (it hadn't even had any replies that I know of).

It's funny because when posting it I thought it might be of particular interest to one of our mods. I underestimated the degree of interest, obviously.

EDIT: I just checked Politics. My thread has 0 replies. I guess it was less political than mods thought.

MelK
06-04-2005, 03:30 PM
I just wanted to let the moderators know that someone is posting the same topic in both the OOT and Politics forums.

For all of those that love oil...... XPOST from OOT. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2540174&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

/images/graemlins/wink.gif