PDA

View Full Version : gapped suited connector play---odds

nolimit
06-04-2005, 01:37 PM
In Harringtons book "heroe" has 6c8c preflop in nolimit holdem. There are two players left in the hand with $650 in the raised pot and $100 To call. One player has $640 the other $790. Heroes has $1730.

The issue is the play at this point, not the mistakes that heroe made getting here. Harrington says "The pot is offering you 6.5/1 on your money, and your flush and straight possibilities make this an easy call."

Anyone explain? What pot odds should u have for this hand pre flop? Or is this really about implied odds? Elaboration appreciated. More than I can chew----Thanks D

Pat Southern
06-04-2005, 02:27 PM
You're going to win the hand more than 1/7.5 times. Thus making calling profitable.

sbmiller
06-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't have a perfect answer, but you are against 2 players. The worst hand you are probably up against is an overpair. Against an overpair, you are about 20% to win, giving 4 to 1 odds. The fact that there are 2 players in the hand lowers your odds a bit. If you beat an overpair, meaning that you would need a minimum of 2-pair, you will most likely beat both the other players, especially considering a 6 and an 8 on the board will likely not help anyone raising or calling a raise. A flush or straight would be even better. This gives you probably a little under 20% chance to win the hand (20% would be 4 to 1 odds). You likely aren't even up against an overpair, so you may win by simply spiking an 8 or even a 6. I'm certainly no expert, but I would think maybe 5 to 1 odds or better would make a call correct here. Implied odds are pretty good here as well, because if you make a flush, a straight, or 2-pair, you may milk a lot of money out of an overpair or someone who paired an ace on the board, etc. There is a danger you are up against 2 higher cards of your same suit, which would be devastating if your flush comes, but that is very unlikely. <font color="black"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>