PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting SSH challenge.....

mtdoak
06-04-2005, 12:14 PM
I was reading through the quizzes in the back of SSH this morning, and an interesting concept that I think alot of us had forgotten about:

p323, Q.6: When the player directly to your right bets the flop, how should you play? Almost always either raise or fold.

I think a good number of us are doing this most (lets say 60-70%) of the time, but I wonder how many of us are doing it 'almost ALWAYS' (80%+).

What are the exceptions to almost always. Obviously when you flop a monster and want people to improve to a 2nd best hand. When else? I just thought it would be nice to get some good discussion about hand protection and when you want to protect and what are the occasions when calling is right.

sean c
06-04-2005, 12:22 PM
A strong draw in a big multi way pot from an early position(FF OESD)

DMBFan23
06-04-2005, 12:34 PM
calling that dudes bet then re-raiseing someone else's bet is sweet tits sometimes

JoshuaD
06-04-2005, 12:52 PM
The only times I don't raise here in a multiway pot is when I've got a semi-weak draw, like an all undercard flush draw.

I'll occasionally pull this line with a monster as well, but generally I like to raise that on the flop and try to get someone to cold call me from behind. That'll usually tie the flop bettor and the cold-caller to paying off 1.5BB's each on on the later streets on average.

damaniac
06-04-2005, 01:32 PM
If we have a weak made hand that needs protection but cannot be protected even by a flop raise, we might want to forgo the raise and wait for the turn, if villain is likely to bet again. Something like an overpair with 99 or top pair with A8 against a large field in a raised or even reraised pot, where a flop raise will not even protect our hand. Even then I sometimes raise, simply because people will sometimes (mistakenly) fold live overcards, which is awesome.

QTip
06-04-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
p323, Q.6: When the player directly to your right bets the flop, how should you play? Almost always either raise or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is in the summary section and in there it doesn't give the criteria mentioned in the actual section (pg. 156)...large and multiway pots. The footnote talks about how letting people draw in a hand that's something like 3 or 4 hands and unraised is not that big of a deal....selective aggression.