PDA

View Full Version : What NOT To Say

Rushmore
06-04-2005, 09:53 AM
I would like to suggest that the world would be a much better place if the following phrases were never used again:

"That's what I'm talkin' about!!" (Who gives a sh*t what you're talkin about??!)

"I was in a really dark place" (Is this the same as saying "I really didn't feel very well?")

Anything with the word "Da" in it--"Da Man," "Da Doggpound," etc. (Unless you want to sound like an absolute imbecile).

"Don't go there." (Ok, I'll stay away from "there." Could I just hang out "here" instead, then? Ok, great.)

"Wooooooooooooooo! Wooooooooooooo!" (It's not necessary to proclaim your solidarity with the other monkeys. They already know you're one of them.)

"That's gay." (Yes, it's been discussed before, but stop saying it, anyway, because you sound ignorant when you say it, and you're still trying to hide that, right?).

"Oh no, you didn't!" (Sure, I did.)

While we're on the subject, pull your pants up and shave that stupid "soul patch" off. You've never been in prison and had your belt taken away from you, and you have about as much "soul" as Ben Stein. And don't make that "call me" sign with your thumb and pinky, or use the same as a sort of a surfer gang sign thing. That's dumb.

Damn, I'm in a bad mood.

ClaytonN
06-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Cat pissed in your cheerios?

gorie
06-04-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to suggest that the world would be a much better place if the following phrase were never used again: Who gives a sh*t what you're talkin about??!

[/ QUOTE ]

Rushmore
06-04-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cat pissed in your cheerios?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I mean, I'm hung over, my right eye hurts for some reason, I'm in the middle of a 90 bb downswing, and there's some entertainment portion of the news talking about some really abject sh*t.

Which reminds me of an addition to my list:

"Bling."

Holy sh*t, I heard freakin Diane Sawyer say this the other night, referring to Sam Donaldson's shoes or something. Christ almighty, stop already!

Rushmore
06-04-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to suggest that the world would be a much better place if the following phrase were never used again: Who gives a sh*t what you're talkin about??!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very clever, and quite probably well-deserved.

theredpill6
06-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Is that you in your avatar ? You look horrible. You need some sleep and you need to sober up.

Rushmore
06-04-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is that you in your avatar ? You look horrible. You need some sleep and you need to sober up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not me; I can only WISH I felt as good as Shane looks in this picture.

I really shouldn't hurt myself so bad.

The Truth
06-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Good post, I feel the rage.

But to be more optimistic:

Phrases that should be used more often:

1. ?

Brainwalter
06-04-2005, 02:24 PM
George Carlin you are not.

shadow29
06-04-2005, 02:26 PM
"Don't go there."

This phrase has some acceptable uses.

"I'm going to Sudan tommorrow."

"Don't go there."

But I think I'm just being a nit.

PokerGoblin
06-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Hey RUSH,

I totally agree. Another one that pisses me off to no end is when someone says 'they could care less about ...'.

That really annoys the hell out of me. If you could care less, you would care less, but since you could care less, you actually care quite a bit, which kind of takes the negative connotations away from what is supposed to be a derogatory response.

Does that make no sense? Or course it don't.

BWebb
06-04-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn, I'm in a dark place

[/ QUOTE ]

My first FYP.

BeerMoney
06-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Very nice list.

Rushmore
06-04-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
George Carlin you are not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God for that. Have you SEEN him lately?

JTrout
06-04-2005, 02:43 PM
I would be happy to never hear, "my peeps" again.

And "get'er done".

Talk2BigSteve
06-04-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to suggest that the world would be a much better place if the following phrases were never used again:

"That's what I'm talkin' about!!" (Who gives a sh*t what you're talkin about??!)

"I was in a really dark place" (Is this the same as saying "I really didn't feel very well?")

Anything with the word "Da" in it--"Da Man," "Da Doggpound," etc. (Unless you want to sound like an absolute imbecile).

"Don't go there." (Ok, I'll stay away from "there." Could I just hang out "here" instead, then? Ok, great.)

"Wooooooooooooooo! Wooooooooooooo!" (It's not necessary to proclaim your solidarity with the other monkeys. They already know you're one of them.)

"That's gay." (Yes, it's been discussed before, but stop saying it, anyway, because you sound ignorant when you say it, and you're still trying to hide that, right?).

"Oh no, you didn't!" (Sure, I did.)

While we're on the subject, pull your pants up and shave that stupid "soul patch" off. You've never been in prison and had your belt taken away from you, and you have about as much "soul" as Ben Stein. And don't make that "call me" sign with your thumb and pinky, or use the same as a sort of a surfer gang sign thing. That's dumb.

Damn, I'm in a bad mood.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also add all this 80's slang to the list.

As If
(1)Excl. I'd rather not. "Hey why don't you go out with that guy in the Izod shirt?" "AS IF!"

Awesome
(1)Adj. Something extremely good, and exceptional example. ie. "That movie was awesome."

Bad
(1)Adj. Good. ie. "That movie was bad, man." Used by rapper stereotypes mostly.

Barney
(1)Noun. An unattractive male. ie. "He is such a Barney."

Batcaver
(1)Noun. Person who wears all black and listens to The Cure et al...

BBS
(1)Abv. Short for Bulitin Board System. Until the widespread popularity of the Internet around 1994 or so, this was the means for email and message postings. Basically, someone set up a computer which was left on 24 hours a day, and people would call it from their computers and use the system. Some offered over 100 phone lines and were networked with one another to provide message exchanges between remote systems and users. Hackers used these to exchange pirated software with one another.

Bitchin'
(1)Adj. Superb, excellent. ie. "That's a bitchin' Camaro."

Bodacious
(1)Adj. beautiful. ie. "That is one bodacious babe."

Bogus
(1)Adj. Not good. ie. "I just died. That's pretty bogus."
(2)Excl. Really not good. ie. "Aw man, that cop took my board." "Bogus!"

Bonus
(1)Excl. Used to denote satisfaction or one's approval. ie. "My parents are going away next weekend, I'm throwing a party!" "Bonus!"

Boss
(1)Adj. very cool. ie. "That version of the "Synchronicity" cover is boss!"

Bow-Head
(1)Noun. Another name for preppie-usually a silly girl who wore a big bow in her hair. (Mid-to late eighties)

Brody
(1)Noen. Police officer. ie. "Slow down there is a Brody over there" Origin is from Roy Shiders lead roll as the police officer who sets out to kill the rogue shark in Jaws.

Chill
(1)Verb. To be calm. ie. "I'm chill."

Chill Pill
(1)Excl. Take it easy. ie. "Take a Chill Pill! You're gonna get us all busted."

Chillin'
(1)Verb. To be resting. ie. "I'm just chillin' with my homey's in my crib."

Cool
(1)Adj. Something really good and hip. ie. "That's a cool shirt."
(2)Excl. Very good, very hip. ie. "I just scored tickets to Bruce Springsteen" "Cool!"

Cool Beans
(1)Adj. Cool, awesome, agreeable.

Crib
(1)Noun. A homeboy's residence. ie. "I'm just chillin' with my homey's in my crib."

Damn Sam!
(1)Excl. Wow. Unbelievable.

Deck
(1)Verb. To beat someone up...ie. "I'm gonna deck you if you play that damn Raffi album again!"

Def
(1)Adj. Something very hip. ie. "That jam was def."

Deke
(1)Verb. To fake someone out. ie. "I deked him out of his shoes"

Don't Have a Cow
(1)Phrase. Remain calm, don't get excited.

Dork
(1)Noun. Someone who is not cool. ie. "Bill Gates is a real dork."
(2)Noun. A penis. ie. "Stop playing with your dork and get out here."

Dope
(1)Adj. Very hip and with it. ie. "Those Addidas are dope!"

Dude
(1)Noun. Someone who is cool. The opposite of a dork.
(2)Excl. A greeting. Used with a close friend that is considered cool. ie. "Dude!" Origins of this context word can be traced to California. It was originally used in reference to a horse's penis.

Dudette
(1)Noun. A woman who is cool. The opposite of a dork. Not as commonly used as dude.

Dudical
(1)Adj. Used to describe a place or thing as cool as someone dubbed a "dude".

Dufus
(1)Noun. Someone who acts stupid. ie. "Only a dufus would play with matches." or "Don't be a dufus."

Duh
(1)Adj. Stupid. Usually used with the word "like"

Dweeb
(1)Noun. Someone who is not cool. ie. "Bill Gates is a real dweeb."

Elite
(1)Noun. A person who has achieved a high status in the BBSing culture. ie. "He has a 9600 BAUD modem, he's elite now."

Excellent
(1)Excl. Superb.

Fer Sure
(1)Phrase. Definitely. ie. "Do you want to meet Duran Duran?" "Fer Sure!"

Five O
(1)Noun. Police officer. ie. "Oh oh, chill, there's a Five O comin'"

Fly
(1)Adj. Very hip and with it.

Fresh
(1)Adj. Very new, used in reference to music a lot. ie. "His beat's real fresh"

Funky
Multiple meanings, 70's disco leftover.

Gag Me With a Spoon
(1)Phrase. Disgusting.

Geek
(1)Noun. A person who is not hip, usually implies stupidity as well. ie. "Don't be such a geek!"

Generic
(1)Adj. Of poor quality; poorly planned or executed. ie. "Hey man, do you like that new Atari game, Moon Patrol?" "Hell no, dude! That game is generic!"

Get Out
(1)Excl. I don't believe you. ie. "I got tickets to Duran Duran." "Get Out!"

Goober
(1)Noun. Snot. ie. "Eww. You've got a goober showing."
(2)Adj. Something stupid. ie. "Don't be such a goober."

Gnarly
(1)Adj. Exceptional. ie. "That move you just did with your board was gnarly."

Grodie
(1)Adj. Disgusting. ie. "That garbage pail looks grodie."

Gross Me Out
(1)Excl. Disgusting.

Grouse
(1)Adj. Cool, its an Australian slang term. ie "That's so grouse man"

Gross Me Out the Door
(1)Excl. Very Disgusting.

Heavy
(1)Adj. A situation which is grave. ie. "This algebra test is heavy." Most notable use of this phrase was in Back to the Future by the lad character portrayed by Michael J. Fox. The origins of this use can be traced to the sixties when it referred to a close personal friend.

Heinous
(1)Adj. Not good. ie. "That wipeout was heinous dude."
'hood
(1)Abrv. Neighborhood. ie. "My homey's like to hang out with me in my 'hood"

Homeboy
(1)Noun. A close friend. ie. "I like to hang with my homeboys at the mall."

Homey
(1)Noun. A friend. see Homeboy.
(2)Noun. A greeting. "Hey homey, don't play that" Widespread use can be attributed to the show "In Living Color" which had the demented clown (portrayed by Daymon Wayons) whose catch phrase was "Homey don't play that" in response to a situation he didn't approve of.

Kickin'
(1)Adj. Fun, exciting, and cool. ie. "This is a kickin' party"

Killer
(1)Adj. very cool. ie. "Your blue lip gloss is killer!"

Kiss My Grits
(1)Excl. A more polite way of saying "kiss my ass." Origins of phrase trace back to the seventies on "Alice's Diner", it was a carry over for a few years into the eighties.

K-RAD
(1)Very radical. Origins of phrase trace to the eighties BBS scene which is where most of the usage stemmed from.

The Joint
(1)Very cool. Seems to be primarily an East Coast term, started by rappers. ie: "The Sugar Hill Gang is the joint!"

Used as a modifier, really has no definition. ie. "I was all like, No Way" Used mostly in Valley Girl speak, it was the most widely used aspect of this stereotype.

Like, oh my God!
(1)Excl. Wow. Unbelievable.

Major
(1)Adj. Really cool. ie. "That song sounds major"

Make Me Barf
(1)Phrase. A way to signal disgust with a situation. Sometimes used as "Make me wanna barf." ie. "I just bought a new Englebert Humperdink album." "Oh, don't play it. That'll make me barf."

McFly
(1)Excl. Someone has just done something very stupid. ex: "Nice move McFly" origin is the 80's movie, Back to the Future.

Melvin
(1)Action Verb. To pull another person's underwear upwards in a jerking motion untill it wedges between ones butt-crack. This is done from behind the person in order to keep them defenseless.

Mint
(1)Adj. Excellent, memorable, "priceless. "How was your weekend?" "Mint, best yet!"

Moded
(1)Skater term.

Nerd
(1)Noun. Someone who is very smart and socially unacceptable. ie. "Bill Gates is one of the most successful nerds today."
(2)Noun. Also the proper name of a tangy candy made by Wonka candies.

Nice Play Shakespeare
(1)Excl. That was a really stupid action.

No [censored] Sherlock
(1)Excl. Stating the obvious. I already know that.

No Way
(1)Excl. Not going to do that. "Do your homework!" "No Way!"
(2)Excl. Disbelief. "I got tickets to Duran Duran." "No Way!"

Poser
(1)Noun. An imposter whose intent is to fit in with a more acceptable social group. ie. "Marky Mark was such a poser, he pretend to be from the ghetto when he was really a middle class preppie."

Preppie
(1)Noun. A person who dressed in upscale clothing and acted snobbish towards people not in the same social standings. ie. "That guy wearing the Izods is such a preppie."

Psyche
(1)Excl. Ha! Fooled you! ie. Person offers an ice cream cone, and then pulls it away, he would then yell "Psyche!". Origins can be traced to an Eddie Murphy comedy sketch.

Rad
(1)Abrv. Short for radical.

Radical
(1)Adj. Something extremely hip, almost awesome ie. "His moves are quite radical."

Rippen, Rips
(1)Adj. Something very cool. ie. "That Firebird ripps man"

Smooth move, X-Lax
(1)Excl. That was a really stupid action.

Solid
(1)Noun. Affirmative. ie. "So we're going at eight? "Yeah, solid."

Stellar
(1)Adj. very cool. ie. "Your blue lip gloss is stellar!"

Stoked
(1)Excl. Very excited. ie. "I am so stoked, I just found twenty bucks on the ground."

To The Max
(1)Adj. Used in conjunction with any adjective that you want to emphasize. ie "That chick is annoying to the max!"

Totally Awesome
(1)Adj. Something truly exceptional, not flawed in any ways. "That was like, totally awesome."

Totally Tubular
(1)Adj. A really cool move in skateboarding.

Trippendicular
(1)Adj. Something that is totally amazing.

Val
(1)Abrv. Short for Valley Girl. ie. "I'm a Val, I know, but it's ok because I come from a real cool part of Encino."

"Way","No Way"
(1)An exchange between two people when one believes something the other does not. ie. "I saw your girlfriend with another guy" "No Way" "Way" "No Way" "Way"

Way Cool
(1)Adj. Very cool. ie. "The A-Team is way cool."

Whatever
(1)Excl. Universally used for anything that leaves even an ounce of doubt in your mind. Usually used in a condescending tone by a Valley Girl. ie. "So she said, 'I really like your purse' and I'm like 'Whatever!'"

Wicked
(1)Adj. Excellent or great. ie. "That movie was wicked"

Word
(1)Noun. Word means "Yes, I agree with what you're saying, and will re-emphasize it." ie: Person 1: "That dweeb is grody to the max." Person 2, in agreement: "Word." Synonyms: "I know that's right," and "I heard that."

Yeah! That's the ticket"
(1)Phrase. That sounds correct. Usually an indication that an explanation was just created. Originated from Saturday Night Live sketch with Jon Lovitz who was a habitual liar in the sketch.

Yo
(1)Excl. A greeting. ie. "Yo homey, what's happening?"

Yuppie
(1)Noun. A person who is a white collar worker who has possessions of an expensive nature and flaunts them. ie. "You see that guy in the Saab, he's such a yuppie." Origins trace back to the beginning of the decade when the "Yuppie Handbook" was written identifying the breed. Yuppie came from the acronym YUP, which stood for Young Urban Proffesional.

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

kerssens
06-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Too many words.

hoopsie44
06-04-2005, 02:48 PM
I like when I'm watching the news and some reporter tells me that some victim of some crime needs "closure." The poor guy just had his wife and kid killed by a hit and run driver and an arrest will bring him "closure." The most over-used word today.

Rushmore
06-04-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like when I'm watching the news and some reporter tells me that some victim of some crime needs "closure." The poor guy just had his wife and kid killed by a hit and run driver and an arrest will bring him "closure." The most over-used word today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect. Exactly. Mon frere! Simpatico. Excellent.

Eurotrash
06-04-2005, 03:09 PM
I've always thought the term "pre-game" was pretty stupid in reference to drinking before you go out... to drink.

kerssens
06-04-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought the term "pre-game" was pretty stupid in reference to drinking before you go out... to drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was pre-funk

Rushmore
06-04-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it was pre-funk

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds more pre-pubescent. People who say this ought to SHADDAP.

BeerMoney
06-04-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You're going out to a party.. You have a few beers in the dorm. Its pre-gaming. Just like hitting some baseballs before the game.

Sponger15SB
06-04-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree.

http://www.captainporkchop.com/elements/movie%20thumbs/bubrub.jpg

Rushmore
06-04-2005, 03:24 PM
He gets a pass. He just got his Reparations.

Soul Daddy
06-04-2005, 03:25 PM
But I like my soul patch!

uw_madtown
06-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Inevitable "This thread is gay" post.

Eurotrash
06-04-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You're going out to a party.. You have a few beers in the dorm. Its pre-gaming. Just like hitting some baseballs before the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

guess we found one of the super cool dudes that throws this term around like there's no tomorrow. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Mangatang
06-04-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Damn, I'm in a bad mood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody's got a case of the Mondays.

fingokra
06-05-2005, 01:45 AM
laughed so hard I my eyes watered

jason_t
06-05-2005, 01:50 AM
The first seven weren't funny so I couldn't be bothered with the rest.

nothumb
06-05-2005, 02:02 AM
This is kind of random and nitty, but when sportscasters say, "Ten second differential between the shot clock and the game clock," it makes me want to rape their unborn children.

IT'S NOT CALCULUS! IT'S BASKETBALL! IT'S SUBTRACTION! THE DIFFERENCE, GODDAMMIT!

Sorry.

NT

EliteNinja
06-05-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is kind of random and nitty, but when sportscasters say, "Ten second differential between the shot clock and the game clock," it makes me want to rape their unborn children.

IT'S NOT CALCULUS! IT'S BASKETBALL! IT'S SUBTRACTION! THE DIFFERENCE, GODDAMMIT!

Sorry.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

WimbleDON. Not WimbleTON!!!

Pwnage!

TwiceShotPhil
06-05-2005, 08:02 PM
These are phrases I wish I heard more often:

1. You win.
2. I always cap with suited connectors preflop against just one person.
3. Hey! How do you play this game anyway?
4. Man, am I ever drunk...

(Currently in a 68 BB slump... might die soon.)

TwiceShotPhil
06-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Kwtwa? If not, ignore.

The Stranger
06-05-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree.

http://www.captainporkchop.com/elements/movie%20thumbs/bubrub.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

this man disagrees too:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/pcdae7ccac6b5339a2c145b12a9713572/f8a2ec2e.jpg

A_C_Slater
06-05-2005, 08:13 PM
How about....

"Ya heard"

Or

"Holler"

tbach24
06-05-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, typing this is awesome. It's the ultimate way to celebrate. For example, when Ron Villone got the win today, and I noticed that Dustin Hermanson got the loss, I IMed my friend "WOOOOOOOOOOOOO" followed by "LP: Dustin Hermanson" and "WP: Ron Villone"

tbach24
06-05-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about....

"Ya heard"

Or

"Holler"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what loser says holler? It's holla.

Clarkmeister
06-05-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to suggest...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Who gives a sh*t

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

Bulldog
06-05-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, they are almost always wrong. The shot clock is in full seconds rounded up. So quite often it'll look something like 28.9 game, 21 shot, and they'll say "seven second differential", when the difference is really between 7.9 and 8.8.

Yes, I'm nitty about this (among other things).

highlife
06-06-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, they are almost always wrong. The shot clock is in full seconds rounded up. So quite often it'll look something like 28.9 game, 21 shot, and they'll say "seven second differential", when the difference is really between 7.9 and 8.8.

Yes, I'm nitty about this (among other things).

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be nitty, but you happen to be wrong. The shot clock is truncated, not rounded.

YourFoxyGrandma
06-06-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about....

"Ya heard"

Or

"Holler"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what loser says holler? It's holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raptor would be pleased.

DMBFan23
06-06-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to suggest...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Who gives a sh*t

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.