PDA

View Full Version : is this a play worth flaming?

jaydoggie
06-04-2005, 05:33 AM
i was introduced to a different forum tonite and the first post i read is of a posted hand history where the OP flames the guy who he beat. it was subj "i love people who cant fold AK" or something.

OP (5200) open raises utg for 6x BB from 200 to 1200 with 88. MP calls with AK (3900)

flop comes T 8 5. pot (2950)

OP checks. MP pushes for 2650.

OP calls. and wins.

another poster asks "why is this such a bad play i may have done it" instead of explaining why it was so terrible everyone now flames him. god love forums like this but i was just wondering, as i sometimes make a play like this, and am way too afraid to ask there ;P

Jacob_Gilliam
06-04-2005, 06:09 AM
I'm not sure that anything is really wrong with this. Normally, after UTG checks, I would make a play at the pot, say a half sized bet. But that pretty much leaves you committed anyways, so I don't think MP's play was terrible.
Maybe not optimal, but not terrible. And what's with raising 6x BB UTG with 88? Unless you have good reads on the other players, if anyone comes way over the top of you your going to have to fold. He's not in position to steal nor is he in any danger from the blinds. Stupid OP.

jaydoggie
06-04-2005, 06:14 AM
someone questioned that raise and the OP said "Thank you for the people who knew what they were talking about....my large raise was an attempt to steal blinds"

Jacob_Gilliam
06-04-2005, 06:23 AM
What forum is this on? WTF? Your UTG, have a mediocre hand, and are risking 1200 to get 300 with everybody still to come. Your getting very little for a pretty big risk, as you probably can't call a significant reraise. And people who would go all-in before the flop with 88 are people who know that they can't outplay their opponent after the flop. UTG's raise is terrible. What if the flop came QJx? He's acting like he made a great play just because he got lucky and nailed the flop.

locutus2002
06-04-2005, 06:52 AM
I think its a bad play because MP should be wondering what OP would open 6XBB before he pushes. It looks like a midpair or small pair that doesn't want action.

I can't see OP making the PF bet with AQ-- so I don't know what MP expects here.

I think MP has to decide BTF whether OP most likely has a pair or a drawing hand and play accordingly. If you can't decide maybe pushing BTF would have been strongest.

rockythecat99
06-04-2005, 07:42 AM
This play is not horrible. If OP doesn't hit a set he is going to think hard about folding. His 6xBB raise in early screams of "I don't want a call give me the blinds". Op is one of those guys who doesn't know how to play much but once he wins a pot thinks he is Phil Ivey. Stupid Op

Bataglin
06-04-2005, 08:28 AM
1. OPs preflop-raise is stupid.
2. Opponent makes a mistake by just calling preflop; this is a push or fold.

jaydoggie
06-05-2005, 08:11 AM
thanks for all the replies. my thinking in hands like this are parallel to locutus's post. maybe not the best push in the world but the post was "i love people who cant fold AK" it seemed most of the posts were like this. i wont mention the site because i dont want to be accused of being a spammer but its where a bunch of pokerstars MTT players post.

wasnt worth the hour wait to be accepted by the mods. :|