PDA

View Full Version : Beer, drink it a lot, and it changes it's taste

wacki
06-04-2005, 05:01 AM
I loved the taste of Guinness, then all of the sudden it started to taste bitter. I no longer like it. At a game tonight I told a buddy of mine what happened and he said the same thing happened to him with Sierra Nevada. I'm not talking about something getting old, I'm talking about the beer tasting very different than what it used to taste like. Exact same beer, it just tastes different to me. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

Very odd...

rmarotti
06-04-2005, 05:03 AM
Yes, with both of the beers you mentioned. I took a hiatus and love them both again. I'm currently enjoying some (wildy overpriced) Sierra Nevada.

jason_t
06-04-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, with both of the beers you mentioned. I took a hiatus and love them both again. I'm currently enjoying some (wildy overpriced) Sierra Nevada.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will never in my life take a hiatus from Sierra Nevada.

wacki
06-04-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I will never in my life take a hiatus from Sierra Nevada.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think this about Guiness. It tastes like crap like now. There isn't much of a choice other than to take a hiatus. I'm glad to hear the good taste comes back though.

Jakesta
06-04-2005, 05:10 AM
Drink Sam Stout.

jason_t
06-04-2005, 06:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Drink Sam Stout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh.

Uglyowl
06-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Same thing happened to me with Pop Tarts, never with beer though.

JDalla
06-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Used to hate Coors light, then I drank a lot of Bud light. Then I hated Bud Light and drank Coors. Now I tolerate both, but they are crappy beers to begin with.

Blarg
06-04-2005, 05:21 PM
LOL, that's for sure. I don't think I would really want to get adapted to either one.

Blarg
06-04-2005, 05:25 PM
As long as we're just being anecdotal -- sometimes Guiness tastes awful to me, and sometimes it tastes good, too.

I understand that the Guiness in Britain tastes very different than it does over here, and that putting beer in cans seems to affect some brews a lot, but I've only ever had it here in America, in bottles, so there's no false basis for comparison in my case. Maybe some people find the taste in cans and bottles very different and better/worse?

Still, sometimes Guiness tastes impossibly foul to me, and others it tastes great. I've never understood that, so usually I just drink it very sparingly so I don't feel like I got burned.

Klepton
06-04-2005, 05:55 PM
this happened to me with easy mac

i literally gagged one day eating it, and haven't since

damn i miss easy mac

TheJunkyardGod
06-04-2005, 06:09 PM
I can only drink Guinness in Carbombs and Half and Halfs. I've never finished a full pint of pure guinness.

cbfair
06-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Guiness must always be enjoyed on tap, only occasionally from the pub cans and never, ever from a bottle.

While the beer may be similiar, so much of the experience of drinking guiness comes from the flavor and texture of it's rich, malty, nitrous induced head.

If you're comparing keg to keg to keg and the flavor seems different over time - Well then, tastes change and sometimes we just need a break. If you're saying that you enjoyed it on tap (or draught, as they sy) last night but todays Ice Cold Guiness in a bottle tasted bitter, well then they taste different because they are different.

Sierra Pale tastes bitter, because it is bitter. If you want it to taste rich again, drink IPA for awhile. Now thats some hoppy goodness.

Cheers!

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cbfair
06-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Speaking of changing tastes, I drink different beers at different times of year.

Winter=Pale Ale, India Pale, Stout, Porter
Summer=Lots of wheats - Heffe Weisen, belgian wheat (celis white and blue moon are good)

Guiness is the best of all worlds and can be drunk year round by itself or with your favorite compliment. I enjoy it with bass as a black and tan.

hmmm, I'm thirsty. Is it five o'clock yet?

cbf

balkii
06-04-2005, 06:50 PM
I used to drink Fat Tire regligiously. Then one day it just tasted different. So I switch to Mirror Pond.

bholdr
06-04-2005, 07:41 PM
...is the development of your palate (IMHO). Both guniess and Sierra Nevada (pale ale, i'm assuming, their stout is garbage) are what i consider 'starter' beers- they taste good for a while to beer drinkers that like good beer, but don't really know what seperates the really excelent brews from the meidiocre offerings.

I too, used to think guinness was one of the best beers, but after sampling many microbrews i came to realize that it's pretty much mass-produced crap.

if you haven't already, try an english oatmeal stout if dry stouts like guniess strike you as bitter. or, maybe something like dechutes obsidian stout (though it is roasty and for-real bitter, but it's good-bitter, not too-much-hops bitter- it's also less creamy and quaffable than guinness, but is definitly more flavorful, too, with light hints of choclate and coffee and a thirst-quenching, clean finish). the more beer i drink, the more i am able to recognize the various brewing characteristics and styles within styles... it took a couple of years of sampling every different micro that i could before i realized that my tastes had become refined to the point that i know exactly what i want in a beer and which beers i liked at certian times and with specific foods and situations. basicly, it's been my experience that the more time you spend drinking good beer, the more enjoyment you'll get out of it- moving beyond guiness is a good start.

bholdr
06-04-2005, 07:45 PM
dammit. this thread just mad me really... thirsty. i'm gonna go get some obsidian right now. the next time i post i'll be drinking. laters.

Blarg
06-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Interesting post. I remember reading about some guy's web site, book, and CD program, all of which were really well-reviewed. Supposedly he's a beer connoisseur of some note and credibility -- any idea who that guy is?