PDA

View Full Version : Small pocket pair

Arm187r
06-04-2005, 02:19 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (17 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 30 BB

Small fullhouse is this the right way to play it on the river? Should I be overly concerned at all?

NateDog
06-04-2005, 02:22 AM
Meh, I cap this as well. Looks to me like he was drawing on the flop, and hit on the river.

Kumubou
06-04-2005, 02:30 AM
Cap this all day. You have the fourth nuts, and it looks like CO was drawing. If he was drawing to a straight, he got pwned. If he was drawing to a flush, he got pwned. If he has a bigger boat or quads, pay that man his money (and buddy list him if he has 88).

-K

Jakesta
06-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Terribly easy cap.

If you lost to 88, so be it.

aK13
06-04-2005, 02:52 AM
Well done.

AdamL
06-04-2005, 03:07 AM
So, what hands did you put CO on? Any read?

Arm187r
06-04-2005, 03:08 AM
SB has 7c Kc (flush, king high).
Hero has 5s 5d (full house, fives full of fours).
CO has 4c 4s (four of a kind, fours).
Outcome: CO wins 30 BB.

I thought for a split second "why is CO all of a sudden putting in a raise" but I thought sweet more bets for me. Caught me completely off guard. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

NateDog
06-04-2005, 03:09 AM
[censored] happens.

Arm187r
06-04-2005, 03:16 AM
I don't recall, I just assumed I had the best hand. But after I got over losing the pot, I thought he played it pretty well.

Kumubou
06-04-2005, 03:16 AM
At least you got 29BBs in Sklansky Bucks. What you do with them is beyond me, though...

-K

Jakesta
06-04-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At least you got 29BBs in Sklansky Bucks. What you do with them is beyond me, though...

-K

[/ QUOTE ]

OP should obviouisly rub them all over himself. Oooooooooooohhhhhh, Sklansky dollars, ahhhhhhh.

aK13
06-04-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't recall, I just assumed I had the best hand. But after I got over losing the pot, I thought he played it pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no. If he raised the turn, you probably would have capped it, and maybe even capped the river.

ThaHero
06-04-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-K

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are Sklansky dollars??? lol

Jakesta
06-04-2005, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-K

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are Sklansky dollars??? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Theoretical money that you make when you play according to the pot odds, I guess.

lionhorse
06-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Nope. From the looks of things, CO and SB have both hit a flush. Easy cap. I don't see them holding quads or a better boat.

Edit: Saw the outcome. Don't sweat it, you played correctly.

AdamL
06-04-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't recall, I just assumed I had the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite understandable.

I don't auto-cap rivers like this, nor do I think the advice to do so is particularly sound. Perfectly good advice to tell weakish, passive players who need to learn not to fear monsters - not good for someone who really wants to improve their game.

You have to think about what the opponent is likely to have, especially given the action he is giving vs the opponents, and tie that in with your read on him and the board texture. Not a lot of work unless you play 8 tables - lol.

There is a certain amount of "auto-pilot" play going on, both in the hand posts and in the responses, that isn't helpful.

For what it's worth...

Jakesta
06-04-2005, 03:46 AM
Not capping this river is terribly -EV. I saw the results, but quads are SO rare. And 88 or JJ are so unlikely too. You can beat any under full houses and you'll beat any flush or straight.

AdamL
06-04-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not capping this river is terribly -EV. I saw the results, but quads are SO rare. And 88 or JJ are so unlikely too. You can beat any under full houses and you'll beat any flush or straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Missed the point of my post, though the content of yours is fine.

The issue was to do with playing on "auto-pilot", not noting reads or putting opponents on hands. It wasn't said I wouldn't cap the river. Rather, it wouldn't happen just automatically, without thought.

Understand, the objection is to encouragement of the "just think about your own hand" mentality. It happens to be an excellent hand.

Jakesta
06-04-2005, 03:52 AM
I would cap this river without even thinking about it. Some plays are just clearly +EV, and this is one of them. I'm capping this even against a rock.

AdamL
06-04-2005, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would cap this river without even thinking about it. Some plays are just clearly +EV, and this is one of them. I'm capping this even against a rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand do you put a rock on? - lol You need to show why it's +EV... otherwise it's just fantasy.

Jakesta
06-04-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand do you put a rock on? - lol You need to show why it's +EV... otherwise it's just fantasy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's +EV because you have the fourth nuts, and because CO came out of nowhere to 3bet you on the river, with a possible flush. That makes the flush far more likely than a better boat/quads.

AdamL
06-04-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's +EV because you have the fourth nuts, and because CO came out of nowhere to 3bet you on the river, with a possible flush. That makes the flush far more likely than a better boat/quads.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he could have a flush, it's a fine place to cap. The point is, you make the judgement. Matters less here, than elsewhere... but bad habits don't care where they start.

I hope this is interesting.

Jakesta
06-04-2005, 04:04 AM
Don't forget about the other fishah padding the pot for you.

xenthebrain
06-04-2005, 08:32 AM
fold preflop

Fantam
06-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Grunching:

The only hands that would beat you were JJ or 88.

The only one who was likely to possibly have JJ was BB as the PF raiser, and he called both the turn and river. So I doubt that JJ is out there.

As for CO, I think he would have to be very loose to have 88, as he called a lot of bets on the flop and the turn bet before the 8 fell on the river.

So I dont think that you should have been overly concerned about raising and capping the river. I think SB and CO most likely both completed flush draws.

Oops, I didnt even consider CO having 44. I guess thats just how unlikely I thought that was. I would still have capped the river.

silkyslim
06-04-2005, 10:42 AM
I wouldnt fold preflop duder. why do u say that?