PDA

View Full Version : $55: Hi, I'm AA Suited, and I became a FPS user. (25% roi went to -1%)

AA suited
06-04-2005, 02:11 AM
FPS= Fancy play syndrome

I used to be weak tight. Fold the early rounds if there's a bet and i dont have tp.

25% roi over 1000+ SnGs.

Then i added some fancy stuff to my game, such as the PVS, impetus and the following. (Last 400 SnGs = -1% roi.)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t1450)
UTG+1 (t1980)
MP1 (t1045)
MP2 (t895)
CO (t1245)
Button (t1635)
SB (t825)
HERO (t925)

Preflop: HERO is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t50, <font color="#666666">Button calls t50</font>, SB completes, HERO checks.

Flop: (t200) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, HERO checks, CO checks, Button bets t100, SB folds, HERO raises to 200, CO folds, Button calls.

- I had no reads. Just thought Button was trying to buy the pot. (I wasnt worried about CO, since players usually bet out if tp=J, even on a rainbow flop, to avoid an overcard in the later streets.)

Turn: (t600) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero bets 300, Button calls

- Fired a 2nd volley as my continuation bet. also to make it expensive incase he's drawing.

River: (t1200) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero checks, Button bets 375, Hero folds.

- By the river, I had 375 chips left. With his bet, I now have huge doubts that my middle pair was good anymore. Duh...

If i would have avoided FPS, and just stuck with "fold if i dont have top pair" at the early levels, this could have been avoided.

--------
fancy play syndrome has caused me to become severely crippled or lose MANY more tournys that usual at the early rounds.

And fps isnt limited to the early rounds. In the later rounds, I would min raise preflop with AK when i have more than 10BB. I get called. flop misses me, but i push anyway. villian calls because he caught a pair. i dont improve.

Or lvl4+ and i'm the BB and have garbage. folded to mp, who limps. everyone else, including sb, folds. the flop misses me, and i check. he bets.

with no reads, i do a fps, and check/raise with disasterous results.

now fps didnt totally cause my total decline to -1% roi. although fps did lead to increased TILT, there's also the standard variance (running into monsters, bad beats, getting caught stealing when I'm shortstacked).

AA, who is joining the FPS Anonymous program.

"Hi, I'm AA Suited..."

dfscott
06-04-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
FPS= Fancy play syndrome

I used to be weak tight. Fold the early rounds if there's a bet and i dont have tp.

25% roi over 1000+ SnGs.

Then i added some fancy stuff to my game, such as the PVS, impetus and the following. (Last 400 SnGs = -1% roi.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am right there wicha bro.

I was all jacked about playing tonight. "This time, the Friday's aren't getting me, and I've got all this cool stuff to try."

A handful of poorly executed PVSs, suited connectors from MP limps, and trash pushes on Level 5 with &gt;7BB later, I found myself down $450.

Back to basics, and I managed to take down my first 55 (which involved a painful laydown of JJ on the bubble) and cut my losses in half.

Glad to know others are susceptible to this as well, and I hope my empathy for your situation makes you feel a little better.

Edit: Thanks, hummusx, for getting me off tilt. My normal anti-tilt bud is MIA these days...

Apathy
06-04-2005, 02:22 AM
If you feel that you may have the best hand on the flop you are much better off smooth calling and then leading the turn for about 150-200. This keeps the pot size under control, and allows you to find out where you are in the hand for much cheaper.

Another benefit to this line of OOP pot control is that it keep your opponent in check because it represents quite a string hand and will discourage your opponent from raising with little. Just make sure you use this line with very good hands OOP as well as to not become predictable.

Apathy
06-04-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Back to basics, and I managed to take down my first 55 (which involved a painful laydown of JJ on the bubble) and cut my losses in half.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post this hand.

dfscott
06-04-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know -- this is rarely correct, but this is very similar to the TT hand that the board consensus said was an easy laydown. I don't think that JJ is that far from TT, but maybe I am wrong (BTW, I was confused, this was actually a 33, not the 55 that I won):

Seat 3: wichitaslim_ ( $2405 )
Seat 4: dfscott1 ( $2155 )
Seat 8: dr_brucekill ( $1335 )
Seat 10: joewildcat ( $2105 )
Trny:12794041 Level:5
Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to dfscott1 [ Jh Jc ]
dr_brucekill is all-In.
joewildcat folds.
wichitaslim_ calls [1235].
dfscott1 folds.

jcm4ccc
06-04-2005, 03:13 AM
I wouldn't have folded this. I would have gone all-in. The only way you finish OOTM is if brucekill wins the hand and wichitaslim comes in second place. That is the only way. If wichitaslim wins the hand, you get third place. If brucekill wins the hand and you win the sidepot, then you have about 1800 chips and wichitaslim has 250 chips. Given that brucekill was in a desperate situation and wichitaslim made a weak bet, I wouldn't have let this one go.

The only bad situation is if you went all-in and wichitaslim folded. I think you want him in this hand. So maybe minraise him preflop, to commit him more to the hand, and then minraise him again on the flop. Does that sound crazy? I think I'm getting a little tired.

microbet
06-04-2005, 03:14 AM
In the TT example did you still finish ITM if you beat the original pusher?

DonButtons
06-04-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know -- this is rarely correct, but this is very similar to the TT hand that the board consensus said was an easy laydown. I don't think that JJ is that far from TT, but maybe I am wrong (BTW, I was confused, this was actually a 33, not the 55 that I won):

Seat 3: wichitaslim_ ( $2405 )
Seat 4: dfscott1 ( $2155 )
Seat 8: dr_brucekill ( $1335 )
Seat 10: joewildcat ( $2105 )
Trny:12794041 Level:5
Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to dfscott1 [ Jh Jc ]
dr_brucekill is all-In.
joewildcat folds.
wichitaslim_ calls [1235].
dfscott1 folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I push.

Either get 3rd or huge stack most of the time. And right to heads up basically with a huge chip lead in a 33, where there is only 8k in play.

microbet
06-04-2005, 03:18 AM
Can you really minraise him here? Just call, right?

DonButtons
06-04-2005, 03:19 AM
min raise, meaning push...

microbet
06-04-2005, 03:20 AM
Yeah, better to have the callers dead money than to have his live cards. He'll probably call though.

It's almost always deadly to make a passing comment about a hand you 'played right.'

jcm4ccc
06-04-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you really minraise him here? Just call, right?

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know. The worst scenario is if you raise all-in and the big stack folds. Then it's up to you to beat the small stack, or you become the small stack.

I guess calling would be fine. I just think you have the big stack beat, and it's worth it to try to get him to commit his chips without chasing him from the hand. Again, I say this because with all three of you in the hand (and all the chips in the middle), the only losing scenario for you is small stack wins, big stack comes in second, you come in third.

If you don't get the big stack's chips in the middle, then you have two losing scenarios: small stack wins, big stack comes in second, OR small stack wins, you come in second. Without a side pot, you have become the small stack in either of these two situations.

psyduck
06-04-2005, 04:39 AM
AA: why not just lead the flop for 3/4 pot?

psyduck
06-04-2005, 04:40 AM
Also, what is impetus and PVS? Is PVS a push with several limpers with any two?

dfscott
06-04-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In the TT example did you still finish ITM if you beat the original pusher?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and that's a good point.

I think the thing that scared me was that in the TT hand, I called and the original pusher had 55 while the big stack had AA. I had visions of an instant replay, especially since I was on tilt.

dfscott
06-04-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, better to have the callers dead money than to have his live cards. He'll probably call though.

It's almost always deadly to make a passing comment about a hand you 'played right.'

[/ QUOTE ]

You are sooo right -- I should've learned this by now. This is why I'm not winning.... yet.

stupidsucker
06-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Do yourself a favor and go through as many HHs as you can stand and look at how you played and not at your results.

Sure...Poker is a results oriented game, but its not how you should base how you play the next game. Only with objectivity can you overcome variance.

dfscott
06-04-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do yourself a favor and go through as many HHs as you can stand and look at how you played and not at your results.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only play 12 tourneys a night, so I usally review every tourney I play the next day. Of course, I often find mistakes, but most times I'm ok. The biggest unknown for me is calling ranges. I think I'm going to start tracking that as well.

microbet
06-04-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm going to take care of this (calling range project) maybe I'll start this morning.

dfscott
06-04-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to take care of this (calling range project) maybe I'll start this morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great. I'd say that 85-90% of my bubble/ITM play is all ICM-correct, but it assumes a calling range that I've arbitrarily chosen, so who knows if it's actually +EV.

Moonsugar
06-04-2005, 01:50 PM
This is one of the best, and most underused, lines in all of poker IMO.

dfscott
06-04-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is one of the best, and most underused, lines in all of poker IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't argue with that since I have no idea what you are talking about.

Moonsugar
06-04-2005, 02:14 PM
From the OP:

Flop: (t200) T, J, 2 (3 players)
SB checks, HERO checks, CO checks, Button bets t100, SB folds, HERO raises to 200, CO folds, Button calls

Instead of raising here you call and then lead the turn.

My post was in response to Apathy.

dfscott
06-04-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From the OP:

Flop: (t200) T, J, 2 (3 players)
SB checks, HERO checks, CO checks, Button bets t100, SB folds, HERO raises to 200, CO folds, Button calls

Instead of raising here you call and then lead the turn.

My post was in response to Apathy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realized you were responding to Apathy, but I wasn't sure if you liked Apathy's post or OP's post. Thanks for the clarification.