PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a gas grill

kenberman
06-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Looking to spend under $400 or so.

Weber's seem high quality, but on the price:features ratio, they don't look great.

Is there another brand that I should look at?

Propane, or natural gas?

ripdog
06-04-2005, 01:49 AM
This one is a bit more than you want to spend, but after years of crappy BBQ's, my next on will be at least this good.

Stainless Grill (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11045968&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s= 1)

CrashPat
06-04-2005, 03:46 AM
Every weber I've used has been nice. I own a little Weber Baby Q, it is awesome. I've used the fullsized Weber models and they are awesome. I've used the cheaper ones and they all suck, they have problems heating evenly and they seem to break. If it was my money I would go with a Weber, becuase you can cook chicken on it and it will last for a while. There may be others that are just as good, maybe Sams Club or Costco has a stainless model that is in your price range, provided they seem nice enough I would buy one of those.

Diplomat
06-04-2005, 04:14 AM
The first thing you have to ask yourself is what you are using the grill for. If you aren't going to deviate from a steak or two per use, you can get away with a smaller (but higher quality) grill. If you are planning on cooking a couple legs of lamb a week or whatever, size your grill accordingly.

When it comes to features, make sure you get a grill with cast iron grates. They hold heat much better than stainless, and are therefore much better for searing steaks (and the like). They don't look as pretty, but it really makes a difference with the food (so who cares what they look like!) Many other features like built-in thermometers are just eye-candy; you are better off getting these things yourself.

As for fuel, I like good ole fashioned charcoal, for a number of reasons. If you've got to go with a gas grill, go with propane. It's cleaner burning and more readily available in some areas.

-Diplomat

rmarotti
06-04-2005, 04:33 AM
A small Weber propane grill. Some of the best made, affordable grills in the world.

RunDownHouse
06-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Why no charcoal?

kenberman
06-04-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why no charcoal?

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c I work a lot of hours, and only have limited time to cook every night. While I readily acknowledge the taste advantages that can come from cooking with charcoal, for frequent weeknight cooking, a gas grill is far superior.

Ringo_Mojo
06-04-2005, 12:50 PM
I cannot agree more. Bubba, my Weber Kettle Grill served me well for many many years, at this point I wouldn't buy a grill from anyone else.