PDA

View Full Version : Critique my bust out from this tourney

slupo
06-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Get moved to a new table. Sitting in top 20 with 60 players left. 200/400 blinds.

Me (on the button): 12,000
UTG: 20,000

UTG calls 400.

I look down at J/images/graemlins/spade.gif-T/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Fold to me. I raise to 2000.

UTG calls.

Flop: J/images/graemlins/heart.gif-8/images/graemlins/spade.gif-2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG bets 400.

I raise to 2000.

UTG raises 4000.

I push. UTG calls.

UTG flips A/images/graemlins/spade.gif-K/images/graemlins/club.gif

Turn: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

River: blank

Since it was a new table, I had no read on UTG. His pre-flop play had me a bit confused. But I put him on A-Q. I figured AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ would re-raise (no?).

His minimum bet on the flop screamed weak to me. I seriously doubt he would play a flopped set with min bet. So I think he missed on the flop. I put in a nice re-raise to find out.

His min re-raise told me he didn't have anything and was angry at my re-raise. That's why I pushed. I had top pair with an ok kicker and jack high flush draw.

Is my thinking flawed here? Is this not a tourney move? I'm used to cash games.

SixgunSam
06-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Only thing I would question is the big raise pre-flop with JT against an UTG limper who has you covered. Lots of people get cute with AA and KK in that spot and this guy can bust you.

After the action post-flop, you're definitely getting all your money in.

betgo
06-03-2005, 09:25 PM
I guess the preflop raise might be OK to try to steal the pot, but I would just limp.

On the flop, you have a very strong hand with top pair plus flush draw. I might just raise allin, which is kind of a standard move with this kind of hand. The way you played it is probably alright. You were right to push to the minireraise.

You got the money in on the flop a 5-1 favorite, This was a bad beat.

Villain's play was strange and bad. It is pretty standard to raise with AK. I would have limpraised allin in response to your raise.

I don't see the point of the tiny bet on the flop. He should either bet atleast half pot or check. When you raised, he should fold. He missed the flop. If he is going to reraise, he should push and try to take the pot.

Villain limped/called with AK when it was the 4th best hand. After the flop he had nothing and went allin.

greenroom1
06-03-2005, 09:27 PM
This is just a bad beat post. I am new to these posts myself, but people don't want to read these.

For the record, you were way ahead when you pushed the re-raise on the flop. He had 5 outs ( 3aces and 2 kings). The Ks would have filled your flush. He also had a slight chance for a backdoor flush. You were an 80% favorite and got smacked.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pokerraja
06-03-2005, 09:48 PM
I agree bad beat post.

This is defenitly not a standard play here. You got cute with this hand, and then got your money in as a huge favorite, what more do you want?

bruce
06-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Bad beat, you got unlucky.

I would not have raised BTF against a big stack on
a speculative type of hand or on a hand where you can
be dominated. He could have easily limped with AJ or AT.

Bruce

cferejohn
06-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Preflop I hope you know you are trying to bluff out a better hand if the limper is any good at all. JTs really is not a strong hand, and to the degree it is strong its strength comes from getting into pots cheap because there are lots of ways to flop a big hand with it. Committing alot of chips to it preflop, especially against a player who has shown he has a pretty good hand by limping preflop, is rarely a good idea. If you are in MP-LP and open-raising it to steal the blinds, fine. If this player had been limping like every hand or something (and especially if he had been them prone to fold if raised) I like it fine, but unless something like that was going on, limp along preflop.

After the flop you played it fine. Getting your money in with the best hand == always good, certainly by the amount you were ahead here. Generally speaking, hands where someone called a huge bet of yours when they were way behind and then sucked out aren't really worth posting: it's just a bad beat. They happen all the time. They are, in fact, the thing that makes you money; if everyone always made correct laydowns, there would be no money to be had...