PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about blind stealing on the bubble

MikeRand2000
06-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Hey all -

I've been coming in 4th in a lot of $5.00 + $0.50 Sit-n-gos lately.

After reading TPFAP, I was wondering if I should be attempting more blind stealing with my weak hands (e.g. J5s) than with strong hands that hate reraises (e.g. AT). Am I going about the bubble all wrong by playing my strong hands strong and my weak hands weak?

Mike

DasLeben
06-03-2005, 07:37 PM
I push anywhere from 72o-AA on the bubble. It's all dependent on stack sizes and blinds. I can't even begin to scratch the surface of bubble play in one post, but I can say that you need to push hands like J5s on steals when it's appropriate.

Voltron87
06-03-2005, 07:37 PM
the stack sizes when you get down to 4-5 people are much more important than the cards you have when you are raising. in the pause before the cards are dealt, think, is this a good spot to steal? the cards arent as important a lot of the time.

lastchance
06-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Don't ever limp past L4 or later, and you won't be many mistakes. Limping is bad.

TheNoodleMan
06-03-2005, 07:49 PM
the concept you mentioned from TPFAP shouln't really apply here bacause you shouldn't be in position to fold AT to a re-raise (because you should be all in if you are going to play it at all). Of course, this is all dependant on other factors, but generally, you are better off pushing because it negates the "don't turn good hands into 7-2" effect.

MikeRand2000
06-03-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the concept you mentioned from TPFAP shouln't really apply here bacause you shouldn't be in position to fold AT to a re-raise (because you should be all in if you are going to play it at all). Of course, this is all dependant on other factors, but generally, you are better off pushing because it negates the "don't turn good hands into 7-2" effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, question though: am I really supposed to be pushing with, say, 2200 chips when the blinds are 100/200? That seems like an odd risk/reward ratio to me.

Eric Draven
06-03-2005, 08:38 PM
The fact that he said 5+.5 means he's likely playing at Pokerroom, Ultimate Bet, or Pokerstars (not Party Poker's 5+1) where the stacks are deeper, and pushing isn't necessary on the bubble often.

Really it all depends on blind-to-stack ratios, and how they've been playing.

If they're extremely tight on the bubble, sure it can be a steal hand, but if that big stack is trying to see a lot of flops, wait for a better hand.

Eric Draven
06-03-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, question though: am I really supposed to be pushing with, say, 2200 chips when the blinds are 100/200? That seems like an odd risk/reward ratio to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most here automatically assume you play party, where the blinds get much much higher compared to the stack sizes.

No, I wouldn't be pushing that often either...