PDA

View Full Version : DVDs

Chris Daddy Cool
06-03-2005, 07:26 PM
is owning a bunch of DVDs a big waste of money? i have 250+ movies in my collection and my family/girlfriend thinks i'm crazy especially with avaiable alternatives such as netflix and burning them. however i like to "collect" them and i have a fascination with having my collection grow. i'm on my computer a lot and i like having movies on in the background while i'm doing work or playing poker and a lot of times i like to watch a movie in bed right before i sleep and i am able to watch movies multiple times so its not like i'll buy it and only watch it once.

but dvds are pretty expensive and can range from 5.99 to 19.99 and tv show sets such as the simpsons and friends and whatnot cost more than $30 a piece.

am i stupid for having all of these dvds or is it okay to be enthusiastic about it?

Dead
06-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't buy huge amounts of DVDs. HD-DVDs are coming out soon and then who knows what's next.

toss
06-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Its a collection, nothing wrong with that. When you're all old and senile you'll have your DVDs to keep you company.

Do you own any Poker DVDs outta curiousity?

gaming_mouse
06-03-2005, 07:29 PM
you rule, cdc. don't listen to the naysayers.

mason55
06-03-2005, 07:31 PM
everyone needs something to enjoy. i have spent a countless amount of money on CDs. my gf has a pretty large DVD collection (200+). it's entertainment. our friends love us cause we can always entertain them with music or movies. it's fun to collect [censored].

no you're not dumb.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-03-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not any poker instructional dvds, but i do have movies about poker and other gambling.

Vince Young
06-03-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
am i stupid for having all of these dvds

[/ QUOTE ]
Only the Friends set(s).

asofel
06-03-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't buy huge amounts of DVDs. HD-DVDs are coming out soon and then who knows what's next.

[/ QUOTE ]

And people definitely don't enjoy their record collections because they can get cd's?

Technology's always going to improve. You listed a bunch of good reasons why buying DVD's is something you enjoy. Definitely within your right to feel excited and enthusiastic about it.

gvibes
06-03-2005, 07:33 PM
I have a somewhat smaller collection, and I have no regrets.

I like the tangible item, downloading is a PITA, you don't get the extras when you download, the quality is crappy when you download (or burn, usually), etc. I too like to have something on in the background (I really want a little 17" LCD TV to put next to my monitor. That would be sweet.

Dynasty
06-03-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyboyd know if HD-DVD players (or whaterver they'll be called) are expected to play "normal" DVDs?

deacsoft
06-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Dude, I have over 500 movies. What's sad is that most of them are on VHS. Only about 130 of them are DVD. It took me a long time to give up on VHS. I hope they don't come out with anythink to kill DVD for at least 8 years. Wishfull thinking... yeah, I know.

gvibes
06-03-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And people definitely don't enjoy their record collections because they can get cd's?

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy records because they sound a lot better than CD's.

rmarotti
06-03-2005, 07:40 PM
It's cool, but netflix+ripping is a lot cheaper.

Plus you can get moviews that you don't necessarily want on your shelf. Say you have a regular hankering to watch "The Princess Diaries." You don't wnat to spend 20$ on that and have your friends see it in your collection so you netflix it, rip it to your computer and rename it "Hot Royal Family Anal Action." You can have The Princess Diaries whenever you want and no one witll think you're gay. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
06-03-2005, 07:42 PM
ah i'm glad people are responding positively to this.

my new goals for collecting are owning every single Best Picture and like every single sports movie i can get my hands on.

guys got any other cool suggestions for must own collections or dvd sets or whatever?

rmarotti
06-03-2005, 07:44 PM
The BBC version of "The Office" is a must have in any collection. Also "24" Seasons 1-3

mason55
06-03-2005, 07:46 PM
If you're serious, you need the Criterion Collection.

rmarotti
06-03-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that.

shadow29
06-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Seasons 1-4 of The West Wing. These are more expensive (like $50) btw.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-03-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the Criterion Collection movies are ridiculously expensive. the only ones i have are the kurosawa movies seven samurai and rashomoon.

also can you give me some background info on exactly what this collection is, i see the movies from time to time, but its mostly foriegn films.

rmarotti
06-03-2005, 07:51 PM
The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, is dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors. All of the films published under the Criterion banner represent cinema at its finest. In our seventeen years, we've seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema in the world's best digital editions.

The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. For every disc, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, and take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to assure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director's cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 35 filmmakers have made our Director Approved library of laserdiscs and DVDs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer.

I Google good.

belloc
06-03-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The BBC version of "The Office" is a must have in any collection. Also "24" Seasons 1-3

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely urinate while laughing, but I'm pretty sure my shorts were soaked after watching Season 1 of The Office.

mason55
06-03-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the Criterion Collection movies are ridiculously expensive. the only ones i have are the kurosawa movies seven samurai and rashomoon.

also can you give me some background info on exactly what this collection is, i see the movies from time to time, but its mostly foriegn films.

[/ QUOTE ]

Background posted above. I don't own the collection but I know one person who does. It's not right for most people. In fact, if you're just a DVD buff and not a "film buff" then it's probably not right for you. If you enjoy classic and "great" movies then it's awesome but many people who have tons of movies just buy all the movies they like rather than the "greatest" movies of all time. Since I don't know what's in your collection I can't say. But that's a little more explanation of the Criterion Collection.

DeadIsARetard
06-03-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HD-DVDs are coming out soon and then who knows what's next.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is you.

-DiaR

CallMeIshmael
06-03-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The BBC version of "The Office" is a must have in any collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

The office is probably the best thing that is currently available on DVD.

EDIT: With the possoibile exception of "Animals", which is Gervais' stand up special

zephed
06-03-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
everyone needs something to enjoy. i have spent a countless amount of money on CDs. my gf has a pretty large DVD collection (200+). it's entertainment. our friends love us cause we can always entertain them with music or movies. it's fun to collect [censored].

no you're not dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weren't you the guy who kicked your gf to the curb?

Also, DVD collections aren't a waste.

mason55
06-03-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

no you're not dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh yes. her [censored] is still here, staring at me. not used to saying ex-gf yet.

asofel
06-03-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy records because they sound a lot better than CD's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was basically my sarcastic point, said very poorly /images/graemlins/smile.gif

zephed
06-03-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

my new goals for collecting are owning every single Best Picture and like every single sports movie i can get my hands on.

guys got any other cool suggestions for must own collections or dvd sets or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]
You own Slap Shot, right?

Any celebrity chick you obsess over? Maybe get all her movies.

bisonbison
06-03-2005, 08:13 PM
I have a 100+ DVDs. I buy a lot less now than I used to - 1 a month instead of 1 a week. Who cares?

shant
06-03-2005, 08:20 PM
I would say I have aout 100-150 DVDs. I think there's nothing wrong with owning them as long as they're movies that will get consitent play. Plus, if people are over and want to watch something, there is always a nice selection.

The only problem comes up in moving since now that I want to move or travel, I have 150 [censored] boxes to deal with.

mmbt0ne
06-03-2005, 08:43 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

not any poker instructional dvds, but i do have movies about poker and other gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

TILT Season 1. June 14th.

I'm in a phase where I'm getting a lot more seasons of shows on DVD than movies. DVDs are not a waste.

zephed
06-03-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

no you're not dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh yes. her [censored] is still here, staring at me. not used to saying ex-gf yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, that sucks. Chicks can be tough to deal with when they want to. Good luck though.

James282
06-03-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ken Burns baseball 10 part documentary. Must own for a real baseball fan.
-James

Evan
06-03-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ken Burns baseball 10 part documentary. Must own for a real baseball fan.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron87
06-03-2005, 09:21 PM
someone explain to me how its not a waste.

also, whoever said ken burns (james282?), they are correct.

jason_t
06-03-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With that mentalilty you'll always be waiting for the next thing and never have anything.

Voltron87
06-03-2005, 10:03 PM
he can rent them.

jason_t
06-03-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he can rent them.

[/ QUOTE ]

New computers? New cars? Etc.

Voltron87
06-03-2005, 10:05 PM
DVDs =/= cars

sorry, try again.

augie00
06-03-2005, 10:08 PM
DVDs will probably be obsoltete in 10 years. With that said, I have about 75 DVDs. There is nothing wrong with collecting DVDs. They're fun. And in 30 years, your grandkids can make fun of your old DVD collection and the fact that you don't have the new technology.

jason_t
06-03-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
DVDs =/= cars

sorry, try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
With that mentalilty you'll always be waiting for the next thing and never have anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

gvibes
06-04-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a serious criterion addiction.

Sponger15SB
06-04-2005, 01:30 AM
I think its a huge waste. In fact, you should just bring your DVDs over to my house and I'll throw them away for you.

Seriously though, its not a waste. Having a sickly huge DVD collection is cool. My roomates sister was the manager of a blockbuster for several years, we have tons of movies. Mostly crappy ones though.

ZeeJustin
06-04-2005, 01:50 AM
You're paying for hastle free entertainment. There's nothing wrong with that. I also have a collection of 200 DVD's, and dont regret buying a single one. I love having them and am somewhat proud of my collection.