PDA

View Full Version : Pooh-Bah +1 - Longish Post About Bad Players

SmileyEH
06-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Something I see a lot of in posts these days is 2+2ers describing a player as a donk/fish/moron, and then using this read to justify poor plays later on under the assumption that the said fish is a moron so his bets/calls/raises mean nothing.

I remember one hand Pokerbob posted (not to rag on you bob) where the button open limped while bob was in the SB. He immediately assumed the button was a moron and bet bottom pair all the way to the river because quote, "his IQ is 14." Now, if one actually thought about what this bad player had for a range of hands it would be clear that betting the whole way was incorrect (at least I think it was). More importantly however, I think bob's mistake was that he became so annoyed with the stupid fish, he felt the pot should be his. I'm sure we've all at times been angry at some donk for doing bonehead stuff, but that doesn't mean we should just give up on understanding how a losing player plays and how to exploit that.

What really got me thinking however was this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2545398&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) by QTip. The replies like "he likes you and giving you money," or doesn't know if he has the nuts or not, I think are grossly incorrect for the vast majority of losing small stakes players (I'm thinking from .5/1 all the way up to 15/30). Even bad players think about the game, they try to do their best, and make smart plays. Unfortunately, most of them simply do not have the raw intellect, the knowledge, analytical abilities, or simply discipline to think about the game well enough to win. Whenever I hear losing or most self-taught players discuss a hand I'm consistently surprised both how much they think about poker, but how incorrectly. The precise and analytical way hands are discussed on 2+2 is a far cry from how most players think about the game. Hearing stuff like "well I put him on AK because he raised preflop" is jarring for this stay at home internet poker pro. Without the grounding of books and the tactical framework they provide most of us would be stumbling in the dark like all the fish out there.

But, and this is a big but. That most certainly does not mean these donks are sitting in front of their computers making random plays. They are thinking about the game and doing their best-however flawed that may be. To maximize our profits we must give them credit for this and not justify bad plays because of bad players. "Getting inside the mind of a donk", as QTip says is essential to playing winning poker-anything else is a money wasting copout. So next time a donator makes some bizarre play, I hope you give my thoughts some consideration.

-SmileyEH

Frog321
06-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Well said. This is something I have been thinking about lately as well. People are complicated critters. Sometimes they have it together and sometimes not. I play best when I stay interested in the abilities of "morons". There is logic to what they do, even if it is not the logic of "good" poker, that should not be overlooked.

einbert
06-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Good post.

rmarotti
06-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Great post.

jason_t
06-03-2005, 08:25 PM
My heart tells me no, but my brain tells me yes: fantastic post.

hobbsmann
06-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Good Post.

Also, last night I was playing 4/8 at Commerce and reading the new card player magazine and there was an article by Scott Fischmann (sp?) about playing deferent limits to try and learn the style of beginning players. He told a story of playing in some celebs and pros poker tournament and how he ended up coming third behind a guy from NSYNC and some actress mainly because he had no clue how they were thinking. He went on to say that later that night he went home and entered a bunch of $10 tournaments in an effort to try and understand beginners better. I thought the great point from his article was that he didn't just assume these players were idiots, but rather understood that beginners use some flawed logic that is different from a winning player, but it is still logic and CAN be understood with some thought.

Hobie

johnny005
06-03-2005, 08:32 PM
ok now that we know begginers are thinking alittle different than the rest of us..
How do you think they are thinking differently.. what are they thinking? and why? any thoughts?

ihardlyknowher
06-03-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok now that we know begginers are thinking alittle different than the rest of us..
How do you think they are thinking differently.. what are they thinking? and why? any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll throw out a couple of examples:
"Last week I folded 73s pre-flop and would have flopped a flush and beat Billy's AA. I am never folding suited cards again."
"Any 8 makes a straight for me (and I have no clue that the pot only contains 4BB) so I am going to call 2BB cold."
"Sweet, I have a pair of Aces. Wait ... why did I lose ... oh, his King kicker is better than my 6. That's BS, kickers shouldn't matter."

Arnfinn Madsen
06-03-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of them are too occupied with hand rankings trying to "make" the optimal hand, and thus overplay suited cards and connected cards and inside straight draws.

I have also noticed that many of the get too scared when an Ace hits the board or the 3rd of a suit hits the board.

johnny005
06-03-2005, 09:04 PM
hey i get scared when an ace, or third suit falls :P

QTip
06-03-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's probably a million and 1 different answers to a question like this. One of the examples given in Schoonmaker's book is a rich farmer (I'm assuming this was a true story) who came to play the game just to unwind and have some fun. He would raise and reraise sometimes without even looking at his cards when he played. When asked why, he said "It just slows down the game." As bizarre as it seems to us, it makes sense to him. It makes sense to the reason he's sitting at the table.

QTip
06-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Fine post Smiley, and congratulations on becoming pooh bah!

meep_42
06-03-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm glad I added this to my favorites before I left work so I wouldn't forget to read it.

-d

Bigdaddydvo
06-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Great post...but you could have saved time and just asked me what I think, since I'm already a donk and probably misjudging hands left and right.

littlejohn
06-04-2005, 01:18 AM
In watching certain players - I can see them thinking even if they are not the best players.

For example, there have been times when I observed an opponent not playing optimally - then I get into a hand with them and they call me down with bottom pair when I hit a set or something. What I notice later is that this same player begins to avoid me and starts folding pots when we get heads up, where I've raised preflop, and I keep betting (perhaps my bet was incorrect based on my previous read of this player).

So this says to me that he may still be making mistakes, but he's not making the same mistake - he's adapting his play based on his interactions with me. This is an important point - they do think, they can play different, and if you are not paying attention you can over or under play situations against these not winning players.

chief444
06-04-2005, 02:08 AM
Good thought Smiley.

PokerBob
06-04-2005, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even bad players think about the game, they try to do their best, and make smart plays. Unfortunately, most of them simply do not have the raw intellect, the knowledge, analytical abilities, or simply discipline to think about the game well enough to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see how this is unfortunate, at least for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NDHand
06-04-2005, 04:43 AM
If i'm ever a billionaire this is definitly on my to-do list! haha I loved that story in POP.

Al Schoonmaker
06-04-2005, 04:52 PM
That story about the farmer was true, and his reaction is quite sensible because the $500 he lost was trivial to him. If he was really nuts, he would have gone to a big game and lost $50,000.

Dan Negreanu, one of the world's greatest players, has stated in his column that he does the same sort of thing. He enters small NL tournaments, goes all in again and again, rebuys again and again, just to blow off steam. Then he doesn't have any need to gamble when the money is important.

The critically important issue is to ask yourself, "WHY is he acting that way?" Don't assume that other people have the same perceptions and motives that you have.

Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth make the same general point in SSH. Lots of people are NOT playing to win. They are playing to have a good time.

Regards,

Al

QTip
06-04-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dan Negreanu, one of the world's greatest players, has stated in his column that he does the same sort of thing. He enters small NL tournaments, goes all in again and again, rebuys again and again, just to blow off steam. Then he doesn't have any need to gamble when the money is important.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really interesting. I'd not heard that before. Just getting the gambling off your chest! I like it.

Edit: So...really, when I go bottom feeding 40 hrs/week, I'm an entertainer. Just charging people for their entertainment. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Arnfinn Madsen
06-04-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am no Negreanu, but sometimes when I am on tilt I go to nanolimits and raise every hand. It seriously works, I go back and play good again. (and costs less than jumping on the keyboard /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Isura
06-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Good post. I agree with you even more now since I've started playing short-handed poker.