PDA

View Full Version : Tricky TAG

JDErickson
06-03-2005, 05:16 PM
PP 3/6 Table. Opponent was Taggish to Eaglish

I open raise UTG with AKo, folded to TAG in BB who calls.

Flop A97 rainbow

BB Checks, 1 bet, BB CR's, Hero ???

After this decision the turn is also interesting. I will post that after I see what people think on the flop action

sean c
06-03-2005, 05:21 PM
I calling the flop c/r and raising his turn bet.

Rico Suave
06-03-2005, 05:21 PM
I sometimes will take the line of call the flop raise, call the turn bet and raise the river, against players that are capable of folding.

(of course, I bet if checked to on any street)

--Rico

papawawa
06-03-2005, 05:27 PM
A smart player wouldn't call a PFR with A9, so i think he's either got a set or is bluffing on the chane you missed the flop. Your hand is strong enough to three-bet him here. If he's as tricky as you say, he might just be trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Jonny Melon
06-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Default: Call flop, call turn, raise river. Bet if checked to.

You'll make more if TAG is bluffing, the same as raising the turn if TAG has a weaker ace, and lose the same as raising the turn if you are behind. Of course, you can mix up your line after that.

sammy_g
06-03-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A smart player wouldn't call a PFR with A9, so i think he's either got a set or is bluffing on the chane you missed the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
A9s is a possibility. Also AQ, AJ, and AT. I'm not giving villan credit for a set until he shows some real strength.

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is strong enough to three-bet him here. If he's as tricky as you say, he might just be trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but your hand is also strong enough to call here and wait until the more expensive streets to raise. If he's bluffing or betting a worse ace, it's best to let him keep betting.

Seeing as there are no real draws on this board, I might call the flop and the turn, planning to raise on the river. There is a chance he checks one of those streets, though, and you lose a bet.

Sarge85
06-03-2005, 05:38 PM
3 Bets.

This could easily be ATs or something of that nature.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

kpux
06-03-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Default: Call flop, call turn, raise river. Bet if checked to.

You'll make more if TAG is bluffing, the same as raising the turn if TAG has a weaker ace, and lose the same as raising the turn if you are behind. Of course, you can mix up your line after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna say wait until the turn to raise but waiting until the river is much better. I just finished re-reading the section of HPFAP where S&M advocate just that with hands like TPTK.

mute
06-03-2005, 05:44 PM
I like waiting until the river to pop him. If he has a weaker ace, I think he is likely to bet it all the way, and he will probably be able to fold something like A8s if you play back at him.

If he has a pocket pair, then giving him a chance to fold would be bad.

VBM
06-03-2005, 05:53 PM
what is your table image?

if i were him, and i had you pegged as a TAG, i wouldn't play A9 or a set this way. i'd raise you on an expensive street as i'm probably crushing everything in your hand range except AA.

i 3-bet this and reevaluate if capped.
if villain calls, the turn blanks and the bastage CR's me again, i fold.

Shillx
06-03-2005, 05:53 PM
IMO it is close between raising the turn and raising the river. He will have a straight draw here a good amount of the time, and that is why I might raise the turn instead of the river. On a A94r flop, I would wait until the river everytime.

Brad

Chairman Wood
06-03-2005, 05:54 PM
I call and plan on raising turn, expect to see AJ, AQ or AK and split

SmileyEH
06-03-2005, 05:55 PM
I'll wait to the river to raise every time.

-SmileyEH

sammy_g
06-03-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He will have a straight draw here a good amount of the time

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time seeing a TAG calling an early position raise with T8 here, even from the big blind.

S_Perry
06-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Raise a big street. If it's the river, you can fold to a 3-bet.

JDErickson
06-03-2005, 06:29 PM
I called the CR on the flop.

Turn was a rag.

BB checks, I bet, BB CR's, Hero????

Chris Daddy Cool
06-03-2005, 06:33 PM
i'm reading a lot of responses about waiting till the river to raise, but theres a good chance that he'll be checking this river, which is why i usually 3-bet this flop or raise the turn.