PDA

View Full Version : Posted, got 86o, then this happened (up to the flop)

bozlax
06-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Ok, so I sit down to eat lunch and figure I'll burn a few hands while I do it...I say this by way of explaining why I have no reads whatsoever. I didn't even watch a full orbit of the table, maybe 2 hands, and I was unpacking my lunch while I watched those.

That said, too bad the IHC is over.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

No excitement, yet. I'm hovering my mouse over where the fold button will come up on the flop.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Now, hold on a sec. Top pair, no kicker, some redraw action, low coordinated board, and nobody knows me. I'll pop it to try and get overcards out and see what comes up on the turn. When 3-bet I don't want to raise and fold the same street so I call. Spewage?

bozlax
06-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Still top pair, likely top gutshot, call.

River: (9.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Was anybody staying in with 98? I'm doubtful. More spewage?

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

meep_42
06-03-2005, 04:23 PM
You're not folding anyone on the flop and have a chance to close the action. In these situations, i've been check-calling and re-evaluating, with a mind on check-folding the turn.

This seems like a nice reverse-implied odds scenario, as you're dodging just about every card in the deck on the turn. Also, BB might give up betting a 3, 4, overcards, or pocket deuces on the turn.

-d

sammy_g
06-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Turn call is close, but probably OK. Not sure I like the river raise since it's likely you're chopping with MP1 and it drives the BB out. Maybe just go for the overcall?

sammy_g
06-03-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not folding anyone on the flop and have a chance to close the action. In these situations, i've been check-calling and re-evaluating, with a mind on check-folding the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero has position.

I think you have to raise the flop. You're often ahead here, and your hand is vulnerable. There are a lot of hands BB could have that you beat.

meep_42
06-03-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero has position.

I think you have to raise the flop. You're often ahead here, and your hand is vulnerable. There are a lot of hands BB could have that you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Hero loses positional advantage by raising the flop here a lot of the time. He takes the lead, so, essentially the turn action will START with him (if BB just calls the flop), and Hero has a very marginal hand. Also, if you think you are best, you are committed to betting the turn if checked to, so a check-raise by your opponents would be a very good (and easy) play.

I think you get more information on the turn, and have a better chance of not getting 3-bet by a better 6 or PP when you are behind. In this case, Hero would have to call a 3-bet, though.

-d