PDA

View Full Version : A10o keeps confusing me

Grease
06-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Same 6/12 game at the Borg. Main villian in this hand is very much a LAG PF and on the flop, but I have never seen him get out on line on the turn. (VPIP~70% PFR~30%, he's UTG) I really don't know the best way to play this, I think I may have made a mistake on each street.

I have A10o in the CO.

UTG limps, 3 other donks limp, I limp (mistake 1?), Button limps, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop AK4r

BB open folds, UTG bets, all fold to me, I call (mistake 2?), button folds.

Turn 6 (completes rainbow)

He bets, I raise, he thinks for a minute and 3-bets.

I think for a minute and fold.

Flame away.

sthief09
06-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Josh's Theorem #3:

Even seemingly passive players can get out of line if they are very loose preflop, and especially if they are aggressive postflop. Players like this often have a screw loose and make erratic plays and bluffs, so you generally can't trust them.

Against this type of player, I'm not folding, especially since you almost certainly have a good amount of outs.

PokerSparky
06-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I raise preflop and on the flop. The hand may play quite different after that.

If your read is correct, I'm probably not folding this hand.

QTip
06-03-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Josh's Theorem #3:

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed 1 and 2.

Roland19
06-03-2005, 03:25 PM
I like to raise this flop here and then call down a 3-bet. If he just calls, bet the whole way. I'm not sure what to do if check-raised on the turn or river, but I probably still call down anyway.

Jules22
i like a raise preflop, which means the hand probably plays differently. on the flop, i would probably raise to see how the villain plays it, if 3 bet on the flop i would probably call down because this is a hand i want to see a showdown with vs this villain

chief444
I missed theorom's #1 and #2.

I'd add a footnote to #3 stating that this is even more likely to apply when in a heads-up situation.

QTip
06-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Wasn't that CDC's old avatar?

tytygoodnuts
06-03-2005, 03:26 PM
I would raise preflop, but I don't think it's a big deal either way. You obviously have a pot equity edge, but by keeping the pot small you encourage more mistakes from donks post flop.
Definitely raise the flop. You are most likely ahead.
If you raise the flop the turn situation would be easier to play. As it is I would call down after the three bet. The pot is starting to big and the safe play is to just call down. You say that the villain is wild PF but not flop? I'm sure his wild tendencies carry over to post flop at least a little.

Petertjem
06-03-2005, 03:27 PM
I think you should raise him on the flop because you probably have the best hand.

The hands that he could have (that have you beat) are 44 A4 K4 (loose preflop call) or AJ (maybe AQ, but he would probably bet preflop)

So raise him on the flop....That's the first thing you should do

Grease
06-03-2005, 03:28 PM
This was the first 3-bet post-flop I had seen in this game in the course of 5 hours, just to clarify.

Koss
06-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Smells like a set. Not sure about the game you're playing in but at stakes like that would anyone in their right mind, even someone as laggy as him, 3-bet if they could not beat ATo? If you think your tens are still outs then I'd consider paying him off just for some info.

Roland19
06-03-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This was the first 3-bet post-flop I had seen in this game in the course of 5 hours, just to clarify.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this, and the way the hand played out up to this point, I think we have an insta-fold on our hands.

Grease
06-03-2005, 03:35 PM
To clarify, he was the kind of player who would bet as long as no one else showed aggression, but would likely fold or just call down when shown aggression.

He beat up on the LP's since they never stood up to him, but his 3-bet threw me for a loop.

I expected him to fold/call down if I raised, so tried to squeeze some more money from him. Didn't work.

coolhanded
06-03-2005, 03:44 PM
With 4 limpers in front of you, I'm OK with the PF call. Raising isn't going to cut the field down to less than 4 + you, IMO.

I raise preflop here to ensure heads-up. If he calls and still leads turn, I would call, saving 0.5 BB to this point vs. what you did (1 BB flop + 1 BB turn vs. 0.5 BB flop + 2 BB turn) and getting to see the river card. If he calls flop raise and check-raises turn, calling turn is debatable but I probably do it given pot size (8 BB in this case) and because you have some river outs (paired board or a T), though dirty at best. Based on his turn play, I put him on Aces up (A4s or A6s).

Based on what you did, I probably call and see river based on pot size, hoping for a T or paired board. Fold to river bet unimproved.

Bremen
06-03-2005, 10:21 PM
I was wondering what you had when you folded that. He probably has at least 2 pair, probably 64 ;0) Anyway, I made the mistake of calling him down too often, I think the fold is good.

Grease
06-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I mucked it and he flipped over K4o for a flopped two pair. This game involved showing more uncalled hands than a 2+2 game. It was beautiful.

d10
06-04-2005, 01:05 AM
I did not read your post. I tried but for some reason I kept losing focus on the words and eventually gave up.