PDA

View Full Version : Sidepot decision with TPTK on the river (stars 6max)

jhall23
06-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Villian in this one is just ok. Calls a little too loosely at times but is not a calling station. PF is realtively loose with a normal pre-flop raise amount. He is a little bit on the passive side post flop, but is most agressive on the river.

Short stack is not very good at all. Will call pretty much with any 2 pre-flop. He can even call with nothing post flop, say if he has over cards. On the flop I don't really care if small stack calls with two cards to come. I could easily be ahead already.

I am confident that I am ahead of the shorstack the vast majority of the time and will win the main pot if villian folds.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($131.15)</font>
<font color="#C00000">MP ($11.25)</font>
Button ($17.10)
SB ($45.40)
<font color="#C00000">BB ($136.40)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, MP calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $2.50.

Flop: ($11) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, MP calls $7.75 (All-In), BB calls $8.

Turn: ($34.75) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($34.75) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks,

xorbie
06-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Make a normal value bet. You're probably ahead of villain anyway, and ahead of short stack as well. Also I don't really like the continuation bet with a donk shortstack.

jhall23
06-03-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Make a normal value bet. You're probably ahead of villain anyway, and ahead of short stack as well. Also I don't really like the continuation bet with a donk shortstack.

[/ QUOTE ]

In regards to the continuation bet, I typically wouldn't but in this spot I'm ahead much of the time that he calls even with no pair. (ie he calls with any draw and KJ etc) He is that bad.

bizaff
06-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm not a 6 max player but I think I'd bet the turn and the river. I'd guess a worse ace will call, and you would've heard from anything better by now.

I haven't given much thought to sidepots. If it were just you two, I'd consider $10-$20 at this point on the river - whatever you think you could get. How does that change with a third all-in hand? Do you just need better hands to build a side pot?

amoeba
06-03-2005, 05:30 PM
why would you bet the turn if there was a sidepot?

bizaff
06-03-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I think I'm missing something, but:

Because I think I have a better hand, and he may call with a worse hand, because I don't want to give J9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 98/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 87/images/graemlins/diamond.gif a free card.

swolfe
06-03-2005, 05:53 PM
i bet $25 here.

tripdad
06-03-2005, 06:05 PM
i would bet $20 on the river. i like the check behind on the turn, BTW. it will usually get you a river call.

cheers!

amoeba
06-03-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I think I'm missing something, but:

Because I think I have a better hand, and he may call with a worse hand, because I don't want to give J9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 98/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 87/images/graemlins/diamond.gif a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh jeez, my fault. for some reason I thought ace came on river.

apologies.

jhall23
06-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Never got around to following up on this one. Thanks for the replies.

In response to some asking why I didn't bet the turn it is as tripdad stated. I felt I could get a worse hand to either bet into me or call me on the river by checking. I felt an overpair was definetly one of the most likely holdings for main villian and with the A coming he would probably fold to continued aggression on the turn. The risk should be pretty small checking behind the turn since the flush draw is probably only likely if villian has something like 9Td. I don't really run into this situation much so I wasn't sure if value betting the pretty much dry sidepot could be a no no. Glad to here it isn't.

Anyway, it didn't come down to it, but would anyone call a check raise on the river? If it's min? If it's all in?

Results: I win both pots. Villian has JJ. Shortstacks has the lovely 5c7c /images/graemlins/tongue.gif