PDA

View Full Version : Bet This River or Check/Call?

kahntrutahn
06-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Only have about 10 hands at the table thusfar. First hand I saw played, MP3 (56/0/.71) raised the turn 4 handed after the flop was 3bet by the UTG PF Raiser. He showed down A5s which he CC w/PF and had hit absolutely nothing (not even a BD draw)... Thus, I was prepared to showdown AK high in most circumstances.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (7 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB

So, do I bet this river against him, or check/call... if raised on the river, call the raise?

Roland19
06-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Don't tell us what he did after you bet the river, that biases responses. However, I don't like it. He'll call you here with any pair and you will have lost a big bet. He will also probably bet any pair if he is checked to, and if you call you lose one big bet. But, if you check to him, he will attempt to bluff at this pot a high percentage of the time with nothing, and you can call and take it down. I think letting him bluff at the pot is much more advantageous here than forcing him to call a bet with nothing, and he will almost always call with one pair anyway.

Argus
06-03-2005, 03:43 PM
I second the vote for check/calling. The argument above is excellent - villain is not the type to fold a pair, he might bluff-raise you when you should fold to a raise, and he will fold hands you beat. A bet has much less value than a check/call.

S_Perry
06-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Check call. He's never folding a better hand but he could easily bluff a busted draw or some such nonsense.