PDA

View Full Version : What hands play well what?

AcemanBR
06-03-2005, 02:52 PM
It's usual to read that 89s plays multipots well, a big pair plays short handed pots well or a ATs plays well multiway for big pots (!).

Do you know any list of "what hands play well what"?

capone0
06-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Suited Connectors and Suited Aces play well multiway. High PP (AA, KK, etc.) play well with few in the pot, big Aces (AK, AQ) non suited play well short handed. Small pocket pairs are prefered with many people in the pot for a chance of a set.

AcemanBR
06-03-2005, 03:25 PM
How about a middle PP, like 77? And KQo?

Should I try to scare people out pre-flop with these hands?

PS: Sorry, I talking about NL holdem, where I can control these things better.

LetYouDown
06-03-2005, 03:39 PM
If you're looking for a rule of thumb, you're playing the wrong game. These types of questions are entirely opponent dependent. Not to mention position dependent.

AcemanBR
06-03-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're looking for a rule of thumb, you're playing the wrong game. These types of questions are entirely opponent dependent. Not to mention position dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I am asking for general rules, here.

"AA plays well short handed", sure. But if you are on the LMP and its checked to you, you slow play it - don't scare people out.

Maybe 77 and KQo are 50%/50% on a full ring. You may, or may not have to draw. I am trying to discuss it.

topspin
06-03-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am asking for general rules, here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you just dig up hands that are examples of the situations that you want advice on, and post them in the appropriate forum. (BTW, advice on strategy usually doesn't go in the Probability forum.)

[ QUOTE ]
"AA plays well short handed", sure. But if you are on the LMP and its checked to you, you slow play it - don't scare people out.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, you might want to rethink this line.

LetYouDown
06-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Agreed. In any game where a seat can be called LMP, I'm not slow playing it. 3 handed and heads up are the only times I'd consider slowplaying A-A anymore...unless the situation was incredibly obvious.

Snoogins47
06-04-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Suited Connectors and Suited Aces play well multiway. High PP (AA, KK, etc.) play well with few in the pot, big Aces (AK, AQ) non suited play well short handed. Small pocket pairs are prefered with many people in the pot for a chance of a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, big pairs play very well in multiway pots at times, and small pairs often hold up in very shorthanded pots.

"Rules" are for sally-pantses, but here's one to remember:

Big, offsuit, non-paired cards don't play well in large groups.

pzhon
06-04-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, big pairs play very well in multiway pots at times, and small pairs often hold up in very shorthanded pots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. It is a common misconception that big pairs do not play well in multiway pots, but they do.

A joke I sometimes say at the table: "Small pairs are better than big pairs because with small pairs, you can hit a set." It should be obvious that however good 55 is in a multiway pot, TT is better.

[ QUOTE ]
Big, offsuit, non-paired cards don't play well in large groups.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is incorrect for AKo. Contrary to popular belief, AKo does well in multiway pots. AKo wins more than JTs against 1-9 random opponents.

AQo also does well in multiway pots. Weaker aces are much worse in multiway pots.

jpg7n16
06-05-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about a middle PP, like 77? And KQo?

Should I try to scare people out pre-flop with these hands?

PS: Sorry, I talking about NL holdem, where I can control these things better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh... you don't really want to "scare people out" in NL. You want people with worse hands to call...

I vary my play w/ 77 and KQo between just calling and raising in later positions. The closer to UTG I am, the more % of calling I'm doing, and the closer to the button the more I'm raising. MP I try for about 50/50.

I play them both roughly the same.

But my raises are just whatever is a standard raise for the table. Normally between 4-6BB. I want some loose player w/ KJo to call either hand (either a coin-flip in my favor, or dominating him - and hoping for the ideal K73 rainbow flop w/ both hands too lol), so I'm not trying to push everyone out, just building a pot.

Just remember you want people w/ worse hands to call you in NL (and limit too as far as that goes).

AcemanBR
06-06-2005, 02:56 PM
That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. :-)

BTW, thank you all for your replies. Any other comments about starting hands/# people are welcome. And if anyone knows the odds, show us the numbers! :-)