PDA

View Full Version : Variance...

Mr_J
06-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Who says there's no variance in O8 /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, had an awful run at 3/6 yesterday. Tilted a bit, but mostly poor flops and getting outdrawn but not hitting draws. About 20-25 of bb bad luck and maybe 15-20 of playing a bit too loose on the flop.

Then 2/4. Really $hitty luck. My low cards keep seeing high flops or getting counterfeited. Flops are real ugly. Drop around 40bb, nearly all from bad luck.

So about an 80bb drop, with at least 50-55bb of it just bad luck.

What's funny is that I've made money on everything I've played after the flop. I've only lost money from preflop bets!!!

W$SF is 26%, where as it's been 33-35 so far for me (at 3/6, it'd be a bit lower at 2/4 since you can't bluff nearly as much). W$SD is 63%, and is usually high 60s so I'm not chasing. VPIP is 20% so not playing loose preflop.

Had a go at 1/2 but I really sucked at shorthanded.

Anyway I'm gonna be 6 tabling 2/4 for maybe a week /images/graemlins/grin.gif

toots
06-03-2005, 02:31 PM
I've had those days.

Well, maybe not that bad, but I've had some pretty bad days.

Ironman
06-03-2005, 02:37 PM
J,
That's a lot of tables.

Do you play more than 3 tables when you are playing 3/6?

It might just be a "focus" problem. Just a thought.

Dave

toots
06-03-2005, 02:46 PM
When I'm down 25BB or so, I usually take that as a hint.

At this point, I log off, decide that I hate the game and will never play it again and that I'll always totally suck at it.

I'll usually be back on in 12 hours or less, and just as usually start working my way back up.

Mostly, though, 25BB is my clue to leave it alone for a while.

Mr_J
06-03-2005, 02:49 PM
This would be over around 2.2k hands. Some of it was just silly (misread the board) and some of it was just harsh (like someone hitting quads after I had nut FH /images/graemlins/mad.gif, multiway pot capped on turn and river, must've been worth $180ish).

I did bounce back around 25bb at the end of my session though which is ok.

toots
06-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Well, that is rather the point.

I find that when I start misreading the board, playing too loose or otherwise playing poorly, it's time to get up and swear off the game forever, or until tomorrow (whichever comes first).

Mr_J
06-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Eh, the variance doesn't annoy me. It's constantly missing flops etc that annoy me. You hear that a high flop comes 1 in 4 or that you have a 1 in 3 chance of being counterfeited. It's felt more like 1 in 2 for both.

Usually play as many tables as there are up to 4. I'll play more than 4 at 2/4 though since there's quite a few tables and they're definately juicer than 3/6.

Focus isn't a problem in terms of playing too many tables. I'm one of these guys that players a few better than playing 1 (barring reads) since I'd get so bored that I'd pay less attention.

When I'm in the mood I'll power through the good and the bad. Results generally don't affect my play. I guess I didn't tilt, I'd call it selective super aggression (vs a few fish who had terrible PV stats over a large sample, yet kept beating me). Tilt is an emotional thing. These players were weak but somehow ended up with my money /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Toots, the aggression was actually selective (shouldn't have said tilt). Liking flops I wouldn't like vs a random person. I lowered my standards vs these players and probally shouldn't have (just punish them when I'm very strong instead of playing them everytime I'm probally ahead).

The misreading the boards, I've done that maybe 3 times in the last 36hrs (2.2k hands) so I don't think that's too bad. One did cost me a turn raise and another cost me probally 4bb.

gergery
06-03-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I'm in the mood I'll power through the good and the bad. I guess I didn't tilt, I'd call it selective super aggression (vs a few fish who had terrible PV stats over a large sample, yet kept beating me). Tilt is an emotional thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I start feeling this way playing O8, I go play Omaha High instead. Selective superaggression seems to hurt me less there /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-g

Mr_J
06-04-2005, 01:44 AM
"Selective superaggression seems to hurt me less there"

PV stopped working yesterday so that seemed to put an end to it. I've played enough hands now at 2/4 3/6 to know most of the regulars anyway.

Ironman
06-04-2005, 07:25 AM
J,

There is a new patch on Playerview right now that will get it working.

By the way, the new version when I downloaded it yesterday did not support anything other than Party. No more spot for UB.

Dave