PDA

View Full Version : Johnson vs Tarver...

TRBNGR
06-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Tarver at -185 is the +EV play imho. Johnson's 'victory' in the first fight was hardly a victory. Tarver doesn't look past Johnson in this rematch, and easily wins this fight.
ps - If I had to guess I'd think the Tarver line will get worse closer to the fight as I dont feel alot of money is going to be bet on the Road Warrior.

Tuds75
06-03-2005, 07:42 PM
I think that Johnson is a good bet +155 or so. He beat Tarver in their first fight by a larger score then the judges cards indicated. He fouhgt a very good fight against Tarver and DESERVED the victory. He is not a flashy boxer, he is just a VERY solid boxer. He is a Winky Wright type, he gets the job done even if it is not crowd pleasing. He is also following a trend in boxing where fighters get better as they age (ie. Hopkins, Barrera, Tszyu, there are many more).

I think the best bet in with this fight is the over 11.5 rounds. Both guys are tough and neither is really a knockout puncher (Roy Jones would argue that point). I see these two guys beating on each other for 12 rounds, maybe a knockdown somewhere, but no KO or TKO.

Tuds

ThaHero
06-03-2005, 10:31 PM
I haven't seen the first fight. I'd have to watch it to make a pick. However, I know Tarver is a very determined individual. I think he will bounce back just like he did against Roy(although some argue he beat Roy in the first match, I don't want to hijack the post lol)and defeat Johnson. However, Johnson is very inticing as an underdog. I don't think I'd compare him to Winky Wright though.

Like I said, I'd have to see their first match before making a decision. Hopefully someone I know recorded it or they will replay it before the match, but I doubt it.

Tuds75
06-04-2005, 06:56 AM
I saw the first match and Johnson clearly won. Even HBO's annouce team all argreed on Johnson's victory. I think Harold Lederman had Johnson by 3 or more rounds (not that all that means anything). So it was obvious Johnson did everything against Tarver to win that fight, he controlled the pace and initiatied most punching sequences. He even controlled Tarver's movements. A good analogy to Tarver/Johnson I is to Tarver/Jones Jr. I. Johnson fought the same way Tarver fought RJJ the first time. Johnson controlled the fight, but Tarver landed some big shots. Tarver is very determined, but he was very determined for their last fight as well because if he won he was in line for a HUGE payday against a big name (he was mentioning Tyson). So their is no real faith in that argument.

Jonhson and Winy are similar in that both fight "conservative" fights. They just beat on you for 12 rounds instead of Ko you with on punch. Their are not many fighters like Winky Wright.

Go on Limewire to see if the fight is available to download.

Anybody find any good lines for tonight's fight? I found Tszyu at Bet365.com for -225. Not bad.

Tdus

TRBNGR
06-04-2005, 04:11 PM
I dont know how you figure he beat Tarver by a larger score than the cards indicated. Johnson is a solid boxer, hes just not that skilled. Tarver is easily the more skilled boxer. Compubox Stats (http://compuboxonline.com/stats/stats_tarverjohnson.shtml) from the first fight prove the point.

Tarvers Stats (http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=014043) and The Johnson's Record (http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=007361) . Note how Tarver has done in rematches.

Indiana
06-06-2005, 11:01 AM
I like the fight to go the distance as Tuds has already stated...Just trying to get a good line.

Indiana