PDA

View Full Version : Limit Tournament Help

H2ozep
06-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Just registered for the forums. Been lurking for a while. I have been able to find alot of help for NL buy in SNG's but there seems to be a lack of guides for the Limit version.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1918735&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=9&o=14&fpart=1

Posts such as that still have helped my limit game, but I was wondering if there where any other posts like this one that had to do specificly with limit SNG's.

If anyone could help I would greatly apreciate it.

adanthar
06-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Limit is generally not played or discussed on this forum. It's a very profitable game, especially at Party, but not in $/hour since it takes so long to play one out and so long to wait for one to start at the higher limits.

That said, if, as a general rule, you played the first 3 levels like a cash game, the next two cautiously and not stealing as much as in NL, and the last few knowing you were going all in on every hand you played, you wouldn't be very wrong, IMO.

tminus
06-03-2005, 12:31 PM
check out King Yao's book "Weighing the Odds in Hold Em", its brand new, geared for limit, but also has some other great stuff applicable to NL

Phil Van Sexton
06-03-2005, 12:49 PM
These are all I remember: here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1813043&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) and here (http://teamfu.freeshell.org/tournament/limit_holdem_sng.html).

H2ozep
06-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks so much for the help.

poindexter
06-03-2005, 02:18 PM
I learned to play poker exclusively throughout the limit sngs going from 10-200 in very little time. I can say from personal experience they are definitely profitable but they are not for everyone. The game has high variance because everyone likes to chase. To combat this my advice is to play tight and aggressive. Bet/raise/reraise, Don't worry about disguising your hand you will always have action in limit. If you get people to fold, great that is one less suckout you will incur.

Save your chips for when you are a big favorite. Chasing razor thin odds is required to be successful in ring games but it is a mistake in sngs beyond levels 1 and 2. For example in later rounds I will never call a blind steal with an drawing type hand because I don’t want to be forced to chase without good enough odds.

Try to always lead the betting. Cold calling in ring games or sngs is a big mistake. For that reason your position is extremely important.

Know when your beat. If you play like an obvious TAG and you know that your opponents know this then it is easier to know when your beat. In other words you are getting everyone at the table with a brain cell to respect your raises. When you show strength and they play back at you can be more confident they are not bluffing. Also by playing like an obvious TAG, you will set yourself up for bluffing and blind stealing in later rounds when your opponents are more likely to fold.
Fisheyplayer