PDA

View Full Version : set of 4's at borgata 10/25, what bet?

daniel1222
06-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Action game with decent players. Five, including myself, with 44 in the BB, limp pre-flop. Dream flop of K42 rainbow. With this many players in, I check and wait to see what develops. I am not disapointed. Guy immediately to my left makes it 150 and gets two callers by the time it gets to me. I have about 1500, others in hand have stacks ranging fron 2-4 thousand. I know no one has limped with KK, and yet I cannot figure out what to bet so as to isolate one guy, considering three people felt a pot that was unraised pre-flop was worth 150 on the flop. About 600 in the pot now.
Results to follow.

JeffM
06-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Go to about $700 straight and expect one of those guys to have 222.

dtbog
06-03-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dream flop of K42 rainbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not c/r all-in on the turn? You know you're going to get a bet.

-dB

daniel1222
06-03-2005, 12:14 PM
I think the 700 bet would have been a smart move. My concern about just calling and allowing another card before I c/r, was allowing possibly two players w. K2 to draw too cheaply for their boat with another king. Had I thought this through more I would have realized: that concern was overblown, and a king on the turn is really the only card i fear (other than a two?). I think I probably overreacted to the amount of people seriously involved in the hand and the amount of $ already in the pot to be won.

FoxwoodsFiend
06-03-2005, 12:15 PM
At this game the way it played, that 150 bet could be made and called by all sorts of hands, none of which will necessarily pay off a big bet. I make it $600-if anybody has a big hand they'll play a big pot anyway and if nobody does you extract a few extra chips.

FoxwoodsFiend
06-03-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the 700 bet would have been a smart move. My concern about just calling and allowing another card before I c/r, was allowing possibly two players w. K2 to draw too cheaply for their boat with another king. Had I thought this through more I would have realized: that concern was overblown, and a king on the turn is really the only card i fear (other than a two?). I think I probably overreacted to the amount of people seriously involved in the hand and the amount of $ already in the pot to be won.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a perfect example of why you shouldn't play a game that's more big than you're comfortable playing. You flop a set and immediately start playing as though your hand is much more vulnerable than it really is. At that game I'd be dreaming of a K to hit on the turn so I can get paid off by trips.

dtbog
06-03-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
two players w. K2 to draw too cheaply for their boat with another king.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see another king.

... since you're the BB, I'd say that the probability of another player having a king and a two in his hand is pretty negligible compared to KQ/KJ/KTs/whatever else.

-dB

daniel1222
06-03-2005, 12:26 PM
I think you're exactly right. I pushed and everyone folded. I never would have worried in a smaller game.

psyduck
06-03-2005, 03:51 PM
You pushed when it came back to you? That seems too strong. And you WANT another K to fall so that trips can pay you off. Seemed you were too concerned about "protecting" that monster you had. You could have gotten a bit more value with a turn check-raise or a half-pot/pot sized raise on the flop. Don't be afraid man! If you are, then you're playing in a game that's too big for you.

etizzle
06-03-2005, 04:01 PM
The only interesting thing about this hand is that this is a fantastic spot to bluff as it turns out.

I imagine making it 700 here with any two cards could very well show a profit in certain types of games.

wslee00
06-03-2005, 04:05 PM
dude - BET OUT on the flop ~75 - you probably woulda made a lot more money that way since you could then bet the turn 150-200

psuasskicker
06-03-2005, 04:06 PM
My concern about just calling and allowing another card before I c/r, was allowing possibly two players w. K2 to draw too cheaply for their boat with another king.

They'll fold K2 for a cr there? Maybe they will, I'm just asking. Cause if they will, I'm inclined to let them draw and keep betting into me and catch it cheap. Guy like that has two outs on you and would fold to any further action. Yuk...let him move his stack to you, don't push him off his hand.

Had I thought this through more I would have realized: that concern was overblown, and a king on the turn is really the only card i fear (other than a two?).

Rainbow flop I'd be a little concerned about an Ace (53) or something that might give someone a gut-shot. Though I'm less fearful of that cause it's an unraised pot and people won't likely commit much money to it without a huge hand so why bother drawing for a gutter? I fear an Ace a lot more than I fear a King there, simply cause I'd believe someone's on a hand like KJ a lot more times than they'll be on K2.

Honestly, I'd have thought about betting the flop and trying to cr the turn. As you played it, I'd definitely just call the flop bet. Heads up I'd probably bet out on any turn card, but with three opponents, chances are someone will bet. And the larger pot size on the turn should inspire more action and give you a much better chance of having a cr get called.

I think you're exactly right. I pushed and everyone folded. I never would have worried in a smaller game.

Oh well...live and learn. At least you know it was a bad move. Who's gonna call you there? Even if I've got AK I'm gonna wonder why I should try to fight for a pot I'm hardly invested in...

- C -

stueydakid
06-03-2005, 04:07 PM
I would go ahead and make it $700 straight also. The pot is already large so go ahead and try to win it right now. You will probably get at least one caller as you wished anyways.

fsuplayer
06-03-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dream flop of K42 rainbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not c/r all-in on the turn? You know you're going to get a bet.

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]