PDA

View Full Version : How are newbies supposed to find anything good?

citanul
06-03-2005, 11:18 AM
This question seems to come up a lot. Particularly, questions like "where can I find that "aleo's guide thing." I wanted to share the reason that such a question personally gets a little on my nerves.

Say I'm a new poster, looking to do, oh, ANY research in this forum. Basically, the first thing I'm doing when I get to the forum front page is to try to find out what are the most viewed threads, and the most replied to threads, in the currently available history of the forum.

The most viewed threads: here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&page=0&view=co llapsed&sb=7&o=14)

The most replied to threads:
here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&page=0&view=co llapsed&sb=9&o=14)

Now, honestly, when I go and look, many of the most responded to posts in the forum just aren't that great. But well, the top of the "most viewed" list is almost exactly what you'd expect it to be. Maybe the problem is that people have (fairly recently I think) started referring to it as "aleo's guide" instead of the "beating the party 10+1s" as I think was pretty common previously.

As an interesting note, here's what happens when you go to the "recent archives" and do the same thing:

The most viewed threads:
here. (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&page=0&view=co llapsed&sb=7&o=)

The most replied to threads:
here. (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&page=0&view=co llapsed&sb=9&o=)

Anyway, that's just my helpful links for people or something for the day, and my 2 cents on why I find it a little silly to keep linking to this stuff all the time, even without mentioning the search function.

citanul

Phil Van Sexton
06-03-2005, 12:03 PM
I remember making an effort to get a http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/images/hottopic.gif for my 88 post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2406704&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) 3 weeks ago, but it doesn't show up any of the links you provided (here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&page=0&view=co llapsed&sb=9&o=14) or here (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&page=0&view=co llapsed&sb=9&o=)).

The post itself isn't memorable, but it demonstrates the limitations of the forum. It is too old for the first list, and too new for the second list.

A lot of posts simply cannot be found unless you know what to look for.

Phill S
06-03-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So we have a catch 22 in many cases.

I know i miss out on a lot of good posts because i simply didnt know it was there. Shadows post pointed out at least 5 good solid threads that i simply didnt know existed.

So what goes first, the horse or the cart?

Phill

tminus
06-03-2005, 12:36 PM
design of the front page would be a good start, it really needs some hierarchy...it would be cool to see the main topics break out into subtopics and you could stick a item in there for popular threads

maddog2030
06-03-2005, 01:08 PM
I've been here for awhile and never noticed that handy feature. This definitely weeds through a lot of the crap automatically.

I'm such an idiot.

citanul
06-03-2005, 01:09 PM
no worries dude, have fun with that trove, and well, the second set does "double" as a set of links to the recent archives, which are good stuff.

citanul

string4
06-03-2005, 01:33 PM
this is way helpful, thanks!!!

NYCNative
06-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Why, all one has to do to know everything you need to know about poker is click this link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/dosearch.php?Cat=&Forum=All_Forums&Name=3979&Searc hpage=0&Limit=25&). It's all presented in a patient and kind manner, completely free of arrogance or condescension.

I suggest everyone bookmark it immediately.

45suited
06-03-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I remember making an effort to get a for my 88 post 3 weeks ago, but it doesn't show up any of the links you provided (here or here).

The post itself isn't memorable, but it demonstrates the limitations of the forum. It is too old for the first list, and too new for the second list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just printed the advice for Levels 3 and 4. Great content. Thanks alot.

Edit: I see that I replied under the wrong post. What I am referring to can be found under PVS's response to The Shadow's post about stickying favorite threads. Either way, great posts...

citanul
06-03-2005, 02:38 PM
i'm gonna assume, since i'm ignoring you, that you said something idiotic and pointless about me being a jackass, or something like that. strange, coming in this thread, where everyone else is basically saying that it was nice and helpful of me to post it.

do feel free to troll me all you want though, it warms my heart.

citanul

Voltron87
06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
he posted a link to shadows thread and didnt mention you.

citanul
06-03-2005, 02:49 PM
mother fucker, now i took him off ignore to see if you were lying to me, and it seems that you guys are colluding against me.

i'm going to have to send an email to alerts@twoplustwo.com

citanul

Voltron87
06-03-2005, 02:50 PM
*disconnects*

citanul
06-03-2005, 03:04 PM
expect to get an email soon from the twoplustwo accounts investigation department. they're freezing your account and seizing the balance.

citanul

SuitedPair
06-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Newbies should simply read the forum. Too many people are looking for the quick and easy answers and there really aren't easy answers in NL, except fold pre-flop.

I have been lurking for the past six months, and have learned a lot. Over that period of time, several posters have referenced Aleo’s guide, Shadow posted his links. If new members would read the forum for a few weeks to a month before posting, they would be able frame their question much better that would offer a lot more help than “How did I play this?”

I wish I had the time to more actively participate in the forum, but fortunately, I have a job and a family. As I told Scuba, I have basically posted vicariously through him. I do feel that I have taken advantage of the forum by reading posts and not contributing, but that should change as I now feel I will be able to make a +EV contribution.

gumpzilla
06-03-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm gonna assume, since i'm ignoring you . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure it's possible to do a worse job ignoring him than you have.

citanul
06-03-2005, 04:01 PM
heh, if i was a funnier person, i'd be doing a good job like sublime is doing to dead over in oot. but i'm not. whatever, i have him off ignore because i'm bad at ignoring people.

meh

citanul

microbet
06-03-2005, 04:08 PM
How does 'fucker' not get censored?

Phil Van Sexton
06-03-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Citanul turned green like Dynasty, wacki, etc and used his moderator powers to disable the censor.

He then used his powers to not display his name in green, so nobody knows he's the new STT moderator.

dfscott
06-03-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Newbies should simply read the forum. Too many people are looking for the quick and easy answers and there really aren't easy answers in NL, except fold pre-flop.

I have been lurking for the past six months, and have learned a lot. Over that period of time, several posters have referenced Aleo’s guide, Shadow posted his links. If new members would read the forum for a few weeks to a month before posting, they would be able frame their question much better that would offer a lot more help than “How did I play this?”

I wish I had the time to more actively participate in the forum, but fortunately, I have a job and a family. As I told Scuba, I have basically posted vicariously through him. I do feel that I have taken advantage of the forum by reading posts and not contributing, but that should change as I now feel I will be able to make a +EV contribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a completely selfish point of view, this could be great. Newbie could come to the forum, get their happy meal full of McPokerKnowledge, and proceed to beat the crap out of the 11s and 22s. They'd then move up to where I'm playing and provide me with some nice, predictable (i.e., exploitable) fishes.

dfscott
06-03-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember making an effort to get a for my 88 post 3 weeks ago, but it doesn't show up any of the links you provided (here or here).

[/ QUOTE ]

I just printed the advice for Levels 3 and 4. Great content. Thanks alot.

Edit: I see that I replied under the wrong post. What I am referring to can be found under PVS's response to The Shadow's post about stickying favorite threads. Either way, great posts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this some sort of evil bait-and-switch post? I'd like to read that thread as well, but I feel like now I have to go on some sort of scavenger hunt to find it...

Edit: ok, found it. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2545489&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) I'll save others the trouble of digging for it.

citanul
06-03-2005, 04:30 PM
look in the shadow's poll post.

citanul
06-03-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Citanul turned green like Dynasty, wacki, etc and used his moderator powers to disable the censor.

He then used his powers to not display his name in green, so nobody knows he's the new STT moderator.

[/ QUOTE ]

man, wouldn't that be the worst thing to ever happen to this forum...

citanul

(bwahahah?)

adanthar
06-03-2005, 04:43 PM
I've successfully ignored Degen for however long it's been now. It just takes willingness not to care.

Nice post.

45suited
06-03-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this some sort of evil bait-and-switch post? I'd like to read that thread as well, but I feel like now I have to go on some sort of scavenger hunt to find it...

Edit: ok, found it. I'll save others the trouble of digging for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm confused... all this handwringing over whether it is too easy for newbies to find stuff and I turn PVS's post into an Easter Egg hunt. At least I can't be accused of making it too easy! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Come to think of it, as one of the "fish" cleaning up on the 11s and 22s that you guys are talking about, I really don't have a problem working a little bit to find this stuff. But I'm not too worried about the average 11 or 22 player getting his hands on this and becoming competitive. They would have to 1) Find this site 2) Admit to themselves that there are better players that they can learn from and 3) Put in the effort to learn and improve.

If they do all that, more power to 'em.

valenzuela
06-03-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm gonna assume, since i'm ignoring you, that you said something idiotic and pointless about me being a jackass, or something like that. strange, coming in this thread, where everyone else is basically saying that it was nice and helpful of me to post it.

do feel free to troll me all you want though, it warms my heart.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. btw ill tell u a secret...when u press quote on a user ure ignoring u can see his post.

curtains
06-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Its a little scary to me that some of the most viewed posts are titled "Should I fold KK or should I fold AA"

gumpzilla
06-03-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Its a little scary to me that some of the most viewed posts are titled "Should I fold KK or should I fold AA"

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the established posters (and many of the less established ones who wish to pursue a program of e-penis enlargement) just can't resist the urge to get into these threads and start flaming early and often.