PDA

View Full Version : Should Favorite Threads be stickied?

the shadow
06-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Mat has offered to sticky the Favorite Threads (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1918735&page=2&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post2146367) list. This would be separate from the SNG FAQ (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2540909&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1#Post2541651) that citanul taken time to put together for our benefit.

Several posters in the Favorite Threads FAQ have asked for it to be stickied.

In another thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2542695&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1), Citanul and Scuba just made some good points about why they would rather not sticky it.

Since I can find it easily, I have no preferences myself and see the arguments on both sides. On the one hand, the thread is easy enough to find. Making it a sticky may reward the lazy and the lurkers. That might drive away some of the better posters.

On the other hand, making it a sticky might reduce the number of repetitive threads, which might keep some of the better posters.

I'll likely update the Favorite Threads list from time to time, but think that the decision whether it should be stickied should be left to the forum.

By the way, while the poll results may be informative, I don't see this strictly as a majority vote decision. I'm more interested in the considered views of the respected posters who have contributed to this forum and keep it going as a useful resource.

The Shadow

Phil Van Sexton
06-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Who do I have to kill to get these posts about level 3 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=199 7018&fpart=&PHPSESSID=) and level 4 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=2319689 &page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) included?

gasgod
06-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Until this morning, I would have said yes, but the discussion I've read in the last hour, mainly by citanul, have persuaded me otherwise.

Mind you, it's one of the best posts of all time. But making it a sticky would be a little like posting the complete text of TOP. Yes, unlike TOP, it's public domain. But every serious poster here has it bookmarked, or knows how to find it.

GG

Freudian
06-03-2005, 12:27 PM
With that reasoning The Shadow should delete it.

A forum where knowledge is being exchanged trying to hide knowledge is completely backwards to me.

TStokes
06-03-2005, 12:35 PM
I voted no I do not think that people are trying to hide it they just want to encourage people to join in on discussions instead of being handed everything.

gumpzilla
06-03-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I voted no I do not think that people are trying to hide it they just want to encourage people to join in on discussions instead of being handed everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, I think it will generally lead to better discussions if people have familiarity with a lot of the underlying groundwork. I'm all for stickying that thread; I don't see any negative side effects, and I see lots of potential good ones.

the shadow
06-03-2005, 12:38 PM
No one, at least not me.

After Mat offered to sticky the fav threads list, I've been working on updating it. I already flagged (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2491838&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) your Level 3 ramblings to add. Thx for pointing out the other.

The Shadow

TStokes
06-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Thats a good point Gump I was up for having it stickied before I heard some arguments against it, but your argument has me back on the fence.

Freudian
06-03-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, I think it will generally lead to better discussions if people have familiarity with a lot of the underlying groundwork. I'm all for stickying that thread; I don't see any negative side effects, and I see lots of potential good ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that anyone that is prepared to read through all the linked threads and absorb what is in them will be given the link soon anyway (it does get posted on almost a daily basis in threads here). The others who just want to post bad beats or ask if their winning rate is sustainable wouldn't read the threads even they had boobies, so I don't think the risk of educating the morons is that big.

tech
06-03-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, while the poll results may be informative, I don't see this strictly as a majority vote decision. I'm more interested in the considered views of the respected posters who have contributed to this forum and keep it going as a useful resource.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously my opinion doesn't matter, but I disagree with your thinking here. Allowing a handful of people to make a decision in which they have significant self-interest is rarely a good idea, and I don't mean that as an offense to anyone personally.

As for the actual question at hand, I would much prefer Citanul's FAQ to be stickied than your favorite threads post, just because yours is significantly -EV for everyone. Again though, that is a very selfish answer on my part.

gumpzilla
06-03-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Obviously my opinion doesn't matter, but I disagree with your thinking here. Allowing a handful of people to make a decision in which they have significant self-interest is rarely a good idea, and I don't mean that as an offense to anyone personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best posters on here probably don't have much interest in it, actually, since the people who stand to benefit the most from having this thread be easily findable won't be playing at their buyins any time soon.

[ QUOTE ]
As for the actual question at hand, I would much prefer Citanul's FAQ to be stickied than your favorite threads post, just because yours is significantly -EV for everyone. Again though, that is a very selfish answer on my part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is. By the same reasoning, nobody whose posts are any good should post here. But obviously this place would be entirely worthless if that happened. I like it here, so let's hope it doesn't.

Phill S
06-03-2005, 02:26 PM
First gump, i agree with your points regarding levels of play - and as far as self interest, if you cant handle other's development, then your own development has become stagnant. More solid 2+2 players would make the games slightly less profitable, but it should drive you to be better than every other 2+2 guy at your table.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that anyone that is prepared to read through all the linked threads and absorb what is in them will be given the link soon anyway (it does get posted on almost a daily basis in threads here). The others who just want to post bad beats or ask if their winning rate is sustainable wouldn't read the threads even they had boobies, so I don't think the risk of educating the morons is that big.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they get the link anyway, why not just sticky it?

And this post has nothing to do with the guys who just post bad beats - if they cant move up a level and they're not willing to learn its neither beneficial or a hinderance either way, surely?

Phill

the shadow
06-03-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously my opinion doesn't matter

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to give that impression and apologize if I did.

The Shadow

gasgod
06-03-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With that reasoning The Shadow should delete it.

A forum where knowledge is being exchanged trying to hide knowledge is completely backwards to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Delete it? Horrible idea.

Those that get involved in the discussion will always find Shadow's post. I just wonder if we should give it all to the transient surfer.

I could change my mind again on this topic. I find the arguments on both sides compelling.

How about this for a solution? TwoPlusTwo institutes a $25 annual fee. Keeps out the transients, pays the power bill for the server, and insures a serious clientele.

(I'll bet everybody will be wild about this one. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

GG

The Yugoslavian
06-08-2005, 01:36 PM
NO.....

And it's not close (for more reasons than most think).

However, if you decide to get it stickied I'd be willing to help you with it if you want.

Yugoslav

Mr_J
06-08-2005, 01:42 PM
No I'm selfish and greedy. I don't want any to improve but me. If people want good info I think they should have to seach for it.