PDA

View Full Version : Have I become weak tight?

Crispy
06-03-2005, 09:31 AM
This is my first post, but thanks for any advise you can give.
Well it all started after I read David sklansky's tournament poker and SuperSystems 2. I recieved a fair bit of knowledge from these two books, but the gap concept has gotten me into feeling a pair bit of paranoia at the tables. I usually play in many no limit tournaments but lately I find myself UTG+1 with KQ and just limping in, which I believe is the standard. However, when the flop comes with my Q on the board, I get a feeling that according to the gap concept, someone with AQ might have just called and now I am screwed. Same with KJ, and my jack flops. Is there any way to overcome this paranoia and regain my game of aggression. Thanks for any advise.

MeanGreenTT
06-03-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way to overcome this paranoia and regain my game of aggression. Thanks for any advise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, if you're going to play the hand, then raise with it...can't always raise with the big pairs up front and this "could" be a hand for you that is a automatic "mix it up hand.

And no problem on the advice /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nightlyraver
06-03-2005, 10:33 AM
What you have to know is how to play the situation. For example, early in a tourney many players will raise a limper if they hold AQ - watch out for that so you can play KQ better. Also, when you bet the flop think about what range of hands a caller could have. If the flop is Q72 rainbow and you bet KQ, you should be very concerned if you're raised (unless it's a bluffer) and even if you're called (does he call with QJ? Will he smooth call with AQ? What about JJ?). That's what you should be thinking about rather than, "he may have limped with AQ,77 or 44 and I'm surely beat if he calls."

About raising with the hand from up front, it depends on many factors. Late in the tourney when people have tightened up and the blinds and antes are high, I'm more apt to raise with the hand since often all will fold (if you have a tight image) and you show a profit. Early in the tourney when many players are splashing around, I'm less apt to commit many chips to the pot with KQ from up front. If it's passed to me in late pos., that's another story. Think about it, if you bring it in for a decent raise from up front, what possible flop could you be comfortable with? KQQ? Anything less and you're very vulnerable. AQ,AK,QQ,KK,AA - those are all hands that you are worried about and a large part of the list of hands that will call your early raise.

Kronon
06-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Well, since you seem to dislike playing flops, the first step is to raise instead of limping. And if the flop hits you, (like a Q when you have KQ) you have to bet. Why would you play a hand like KQ in the first place if you dont dare play it strongly if you hit?

And dont be to afraid of callers. They could have a lot of hands, even ace high, and just trying to keep you honest. The skill level of some players, especially early in the tournaments, isnt always that great.

Having said that, its not a bad play to fold KQ in early position. Same with AT/AJ. I am not sure if you have positive EV with these from early positjon at a full table, and even if you do you wont do a huge mistake by folding them.

regisd
06-03-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way to overcome this paranoia and regain my game of aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give people a reason to fold.

I've been trying to add more aggression to my game (with good results so far, i think), and this is one of the things I've been thinking about. I mean, I'm not trying to be a "push all the time" kind of maniac, but if I don't show aggression there's no reason for other hands to fold, and if they don't fold, then they can improve and beat me.

while it's certainly reasonable to fold KQ in early position, if you are going to play it, is there any reason not to raise it up a bit? if you get reraised, you can consider folding since you might be dominated. if not, however, you might get the BB to fold that 47o that could've turned into two pair.