PDA

View Full Version : My Job

Matt Williams
06-03-2005, 09:17 AM
I just got my review at work today. I got a 35 cent raise for a whole f@#kin year. I have been at this company for 5 years now. It is as dead end as a job can get. Should I say F'it and hand in my 2 weeks notice and collect my 3 weeks vacation? Or should I suck it up and just try to look for another job even though I will procrasinate and not get around to it because of my job? Sounds silly I know.

durron597
06-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Become a poker pro.

bisonbison
06-03-2005, 09:19 AM
They don't appreciate you like we do.

jakethebake
06-03-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got my review at work today. I got a 35 cent raise for a whole f@#kin year. I have been at this company for 5 years now. It is as dead end as a job can get. Should I say F'it and hand in my 2 weeks notice and collect my 3 weeks vacation? Or should I suck it up and just try to look for another job even though I will procrasinate and not get around to it because of my job? Sounds silly I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do?

Matt Williams
06-03-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for a retail company. I was hired at $11 5 years ago and was always given a decent raise. This year I got 35 cents. It wasn't even a 2% raise.

Wes ManTooth
06-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Did they tell you why they gave you such a poor raise?

jakethebake
06-03-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for a retail company. I was hired at $11 5 years ago and was always given a decent raise. This year I got 35 cents. It wasn't even a 2% raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what are you at like $14.50 now? Just my take but I think any job where raises are measures in cents is a "dead end". What do you want to do long-term?

wh1t3bread
06-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Don't procrastinate. Look for a new job. Once you get a new job quit your old one.

It is alot easier to get a new job when you already have one.

Matt Williams
06-03-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did they tell you why they gave you such a poor raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, the company said it can no longer justify the raises it was giving out. It's happening nationwide, not just in NJ where I live. Superior rating gave you 50 cents, Ave. was 35 cents and below ave. was no raise at all.

Wes ManTooth
06-03-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't procrastinate. Look for a new job. Once you get a new job quit your old one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easier... not always, less time to look/find/interview for a new one.

wh1t3bread
06-03-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easier... not always, less time to look/find/interview for a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG! It is "always". Just not having the added stress of "NOT HAVING A JOB" makes everything easier (looking for a job, interviewing, etc.).

If you are serious about finding a new job you will make the time. Honestly, if you are working 40-50 hours a week you have more than enough time to look for jobs, send resumes, and interview.

Blackjack
06-03-2005, 10:56 AM
A 35 cent raise is like a kick in the balls. I'd rather not get a raise then be told by my company that I suck.

Seriously, it is a dead end job because you probably didn't put enough effort in the beginning of the job to gain rapid promotion. Sooooo, now you're just stagnating and wasting away. Find another J O B.

Blackjack

Pocket Trips
06-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Just taking a wild guess here but... home depot sucks????

A friend waas the pro desk supervisor at the Paramus store and he got the same 35 cent raise. They used to be such a good company to work for but now they are on the same par with Walmart.

VBM
06-03-2005, 11:34 AM
not to sound coarse, but at least you got something.

i received no pay increase last year and my wife got nothing this year (my review will happen later in the month)

you probably don't want to hear it right now, but when you cool off a little, make an honest assessment of whether your work merited an increase rather than your tenure. also consider how your company has performed (if the company's not making $$, you're not getting bumped up regardless) if you still feel sore about it, present your case to your manager. if you still feel like you're being undervalued, might be time to look elsewhere...

siccjay
06-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Just go back to playing 3rd base in the bigs.

Wes ManTooth
06-03-2005, 11:56 AM
If it seems like they are giving everyone these pathetic raises I would not take it too bad. If they are giving other coworkers bigger raises that you know better/harder then, regardless of tenure, then you should address this with your manager. Since the raise difference was only .15 cents it may not seem like much, but it is important to find out why they may see you as "average". Also if they have a real reason why they thought you didn't fall in the higher raise bracket. Evaluate their response; if they give you BS then find a new job.

Matt Williams
06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A friend waas the pro desk supervisor at the Paramus store and he got the same 35 cent raise. They used to be such a good company to work for but now they are on the same par with Walmart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Sh!t !!!
You hit the nail on the head. Yea, it's Home Depot. The company has gone downhill so fast it's not even funny.

einbert
06-03-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Sh!t !!!
You hit the nail on the head. Yea, it's Home Depot. The company has gone downhill so fast it's not even funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of like your life?

RicktheRuler
06-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Sweet Jesus, I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you worked there for that long and--since you got the raises--performed well, you should be able to make more than 14 bucks an hour. Right? Have you tried to take on any managerial positions or something similar within your industry?

P.S. This is why I refuse to work in corporate america.

B00T
06-03-2005, 03:08 PM
I am goin to the Hooters in Paramus tomorrow. Too bad its the worst one in the area. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

06-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Things are tough all over, bro. Even as a patent attorney I only received a 5% raise. I'll only be making $126,000 this year as opposed to the $120,000 I made last year. Hopefully my bonus will be a little bigger this year and make up for that paltry raise.

Anyhoo, just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one that is going to have to tighten the belt a little this year just to get by.

Tron
06-03-2005, 03:22 PM
$0.35 is 2% of $17.50

So the OP either A) Was making more than $17.50 before he got his raise or B) Sucks at math.

einbert
06-03-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
B) Sucks at math.

[/ QUOTE ]
Given that he's been working at home depot for 5 years, I think this is fairly likely.

RocketManJames
06-03-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I say F'it and hand in my 2 weeks notice and collect my 3 weeks vacation? Or should I suck it up and just try to look for another job even though I will procrasinate and not get around to it because of my job? Sounds silly I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might not pertain to you since you are a worker that gets paid hourly and like another has said your raises are measured in cents per hour.

In my opinion it is always better to have a current job when interviewing, especially because without a current job, you have very little leverage when you enter into salary negotiations once you're given an offer. This is coming from a guy that works in the tech field, so this may or may not pertain to you at all.

And, when negotiating your salary, don't be the first to give a number. The one that speaks first usually loses.

-RMJ

DeezNuts
06-03-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm a big believer in leaving any job where you are not happy, regardless of money.

A job where you are unhappy has a way of permeating your whole life, making you bitter even during your leisure time. Leave it even if you have nothing lined up next. Take time to figure out what you want to do and what $$$ you are willing to accept to do it, then start looking.

Life is too short to waste away for 40+hrs a week being miserable.

DN

JaBlue
06-03-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Sh!t !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of like your life?

[/ QUOTE ]

not cool.

gorie
06-03-2005, 04:04 PM
that's like my job. the people he likes will get $1 raise the first year. maybe another $1 the next. then he starts to think of it as "you're at a decent pay level" and gives 30 cent raises. i guess i can understand it, but it sucks. i expect a very crappy raise this year, if any. cuz you know, i'm making $11/hr, which is on the higher end of pay /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

back in december, he promised a guy a $2 raise (from $9 to $11), because he moved into being in charge of a department. only thing was, he wouldn't get this raise until july of this year.

the guy just got another job that pays over twice as much as he'd make there even with the raise, plus a ton of benefits. today was his last day and he made some comment about "i got a raise 6 months ago, too bad it won't take effect until i am gone." i thought it was funny. my boss is a moron.

Matt Williams
06-03-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big believer in leaving any job where you are not happy, regardless of money.

A job where you are unhappy has a way of permeating your whole life, making you bitter even during your leisure time. Leave it even if you have nothing lined up next. Take time to figure out what you want to do and what $$$ you are willing to accept to do it, then start looking.

Life is too short to waste away for 40+hrs a week being miserable.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

I had an interview this afternoon and was offered the same pay I make per week working 23 hours a week Tues., Wed., and Fri. I was willing to work part time at Home Depot and they told me not to bother. So now I am on vacation for 2 weeks until I start my new job!

Tron
06-03-2005, 07:43 PM
NH... Any possiblity of the hours increasing soon?

Matt Williams
06-03-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$0.35 is 2% of $17.50

So the OP either A) Was making more than $17.50 before he got his raise or B) Sucks at math.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was making $18.25/hr. When I started, raises of $1.25 every 6 months were common. Then about 3 years ago, the raise increased to $1.50-$1.75, but it was once a year. Then that started going down. Last year was 60 cents. Then it was down to 35 cents this year. When I started working at HD you were given "Merit Badges" that were worth $20, not to mention a 2 year bonus, and a 5 year bonus. The last 6 months, the company has gotten away with the bonuses and merit badges. Now granted, I know that was extra money that most other companies don't offer. But as an employee, it tells me that the company no longer cares about me. If my raise was the rate of inflation, I wouldn't have been pissed, I understand $1+ raises are just not happening anymore. But I can't tell you how relieved I am right now! Already on my 3rd beer and waiting for my buddies to show up so we can celebrate!