PDA

View Full Version : What should I expect as a Limit Player?

DaveduFresne
06-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Thinking of switching from playing No Limit full time to Limit for my income. The reason being I am getting tired of waiting for someone to have Aces vs a set I flopped to make any kind of money.

I have been observing some 5/10 tables on Party and there seems to be a lot more dead money at Limit than No Limit.

As to my question, what sort of streaks do you full time pros experience at Limit? Say if you four table (probably what I'll do)is it common to lose more than two days in a row? Would a typical week be win four days lose three?

I admit my experience in limit is somewhat limited, but I've done an awful lot of reading about it, so I think skill wise I have a good shot at beating the games. My main concern (which has been my problem trying to move up in NL) is that I don't take losing multiple days in a row well. I think my tilt in limit would not be as costly as my tilt in no limit, as I can't throw my stack away so easily.

Anyways, assuming I have the skills to be a limit pro, what sort of winning/losing streaks can I expect?

Thanks a lot,

David

ArturiusX
06-03-2005, 05:57 AM
Limit has bigger variance. The swings will hurt, but just remember the old adage "every mistake my opponent makes I'll make money in the long term".

Limit is a drawing game compared to no limit. Rarely do you have the odds to draw too 3:1 or more, but in limit it happens all the time.

With prior poker experience, lots of reading, and of course these boards, you'll be surprised how easy the conversion can be. One thing that troubles me is the 'income' part. There's a steep learning curve to become an optimium player, so I wouldn't count on much poker income while playing limit.

einbert
06-03-2005, 05:59 AM
The swings are hell, dude.

It's interesting though, moreso than NL IMO.

DaveduFresne
06-03-2005, 06:02 AM
"One thing that troubles me is the 'income' part"

Yeah it troubles me too, but I've been playing for a living for seven months now, but over the past month my no limit game has gone in the tank, so either this will work or its job time /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I do have some savings though so its not like I have to win my first few weeks or be out on the street.

Am I correct in assuming at 5/10 Party Players have not acquired a great degree of sophistication?

Thanks for the input,

David

ArturiusX
06-03-2005, 06:06 AM
The best 5/10 tables are the 6max ones, so check out http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=headsup for all the info on those.

Its not so easy to convert, definitly not 3 weeks easy. In 6 months you could do it and be profitable, but is it worth the risk? I'd personally get a job, maybe play poker part time, get good at limit, then when you've got some cold hard facts about your winrate, then consider going back to poker.

DaveduFresne
06-03-2005, 06:09 AM
"The swings are hell, dude.

It's interesting though, moreso than NL IMO."

Well the swings have been hell for me in the tight NL games I've been playing in so I may just give it a try anyways.

My limit experience has mostly been live at this point, but so far I agree with you on it being more interesting. No limit is supposedly such a higher strategy game, but at least at the levels I play its basically a game of camping for monsters and throwing in the occasional semi-bluff against tight players. Oh and getting real good at laying down second best.

More input please.....if everyone tells me the swings are hell may have to consider soldiering it out at NL.

Thanks,

David

DaveduFresne
06-03-2005, 06:13 AM
"Its not so easy to convert, definitly not 3 weeks easy."

Ok, good to know that the transition is not as easy as I've been thinking it was.

Just out of curiosity are you a former NL player that switched to Limit?

Thanks for your help,

David

theredpill6
06-03-2005, 06:38 AM
what stakes at NL did you make your living from before ?