PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Floating

jetsonsdogcanfly
06-03-2005, 01:49 AM
There has been a fair amount of misunderstanding on the boards lately regarding the definition of a float. Is it a cold call preflop to disguise a premium hand? Is it a situational cold call preflop with a borderline holding? Some of the discussion leads me to believe that it is just a word we made up to rationalize questionable cold calling and angle shooting.

I imagine itīs actually a legitimate concept, so I thought itīd be good if we actually all agreed on what the word means.

Opinions?

Yeah I just saw Darynīs post. His is funny, yadda yadda yadda, Iīm still curious.

Sully
06-03-2005, 04:09 AM
just a word we made up to rationalize questionable cold calling and otherwise fishy preflop behavior.

If you did a scientific test on Party Poker, I bet you would see a marked increase in cold calling that would coincide exactly with the arrival of this word.

SoBeDude
06-03-2005, 09:39 AM
I know all this talk of floating has me wanting to call 2 cold with a much wider range of hands.

Lets come up with a term for 3betting with 72o, and see if we can get that into vogue too?

-Scott

flub
06-03-2005, 10:05 AM
It's cold calling by someone who knows better. A donk cold calls, someone who knows he/she shouldn't cold calls floats.

-f

stigmata
06-03-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3betting with 72o

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, this is standard "fold-equity isolation", haven't you read HEPFDP?

PokerBob
06-03-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lets come up with a term for 3betting with 72o,

[/ QUOTE ]

retardation

bernie
06-03-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of the discussion leads me to believe that it is just a word we made up to rationalize questionable cold calling and angle shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Angle shooting? Where do you get that from?

b

brick
06-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Floating is a specific type of Cold Calling. It's Cold Calling in position (Button or CO), against fewer (say 1 or 2) players who tend to play weakly postflop and therefore you are much more likely to make a play at the pot if the situation arises.

Also, donk betting is a weak lead if a good player does it. Good players don't donk bet.

-The Brickster