PDA

View Full Version : Wait for the river to raise this boat HU?

Mister Z
06-02-2005, 11:33 PM
Villain is tight/passive PF, aggressive (3.25) post flop.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Mister Z is MP1 with 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Mister Z calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Mister Z calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Mister Z bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, Mister Z calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Mister Z checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Mister Z raises</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

UncleSalty
06-02-2005, 11:47 PM
I think this is my default if villain is passive post-flop, because his turn bet will usually mean he has a Q and will call your raise.

However, against an aggressive player I'm torn, because a high aggression factor either means he's going to bluff re-raise you (good!) or that he folds a lot to aggression (bad /images/graemlins/mad.gif). Probably takes a more extensive read of what kind of player he is to know the correct move here.

I don't think it's much of a mistake HU either way.

Bodhi
06-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Well, you definitely scared him off. You have to ask yourself what he might have flopped, and whether he'll stay for a check-raise. On this flop, he likely has nothing (except overcards), and not many cards can come to beat you. The pot is medium sized, but on the lower range of that. Slowplaying seems correct to me.

UncleSalty
06-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Oh man, I TOTALLY missed the check/raise. I think leading the turn is better than slowplaying. Villain either has something or he doesn't. If he doesn't, he's not calling a river bet anyway so you might as well find out on the turn.

DeuceKicker
06-03-2005, 01:15 AM
Play the hand from Villain's standpoint.

A paired, ugly flop hits and you come betting into him. You're either stealing the pot or you have him crushed. He raises betting/hoping you're trying to steal.

On the turn you check-raise. Now he can be pretty sure he's drawing very slim, even if he has a pocket pair. If you're going to check-raise the turn, I wouldn't bet out. If you're going to bet out (which I think is fine, as it looks like a steal attempt) then keep on betting.

Leading out the flop, then check-raising the turn will chase away any mediocre/speculative hand.

Mister Z
06-03-2005, 01:22 AM
Wow, I kind of forgot I checkraised this turn. Talk about obvious. I think the stop n go or even check/call the turn and leading the river would have been better. I definitely want this opponent to be confused and go to a showdown or maybe catch top pair and raise me here.

sublime
06-03-2005, 02:32 AM
i fold preflop, but whatever. if the guys behind you were uberloose and u knew u could get in multiway and cheap than its ok i guess. i still prefer a fold.

post flop seems fine, if he was less aggressive postflop than i prfer to 3-bet the flop and then bet the turn. waiting till the river would be wrong, hes gonna check behind too often with big aces.

also, another thing to be considered againt players like this is too play your monsters FAST. Sthief had a nice thread about how the b/c, c/r line almost ALWAYS kills your action.