PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting an old Favorite...Stand By Me

Jeffage
12-27-2002, 12:20 AM
Well, I had the evening to myself tonight so I decided to pop in a DVD I just bought...one of my favorite films, Stand By Me. God, this movie gets me emotionally. Maybe it is the time of year (I am always a little blue around the holidays and New Years) but this movie just says so much about friendship and how fleeting some of life's best moments and relationships are. The friendships you have when you are 12 are probably the most honest relationships people have in their lives and I have so many good memories of those times and the conversations and how genuine people are at that age. But what really gets me about the film is how real it is...struggling to find an identity among people that want you to be someone you're not and always being true to yourself and who you are. I think there are lots of things I identify with in this movie, and I'm a little sad right now because one of my closest friends moved to California recently and I just want to make sure he stays a close friend. I miss him already and the place is a little sadder without him. He is too good a guy to lose touch with, but I worry it will happen. OK...end babble. Just wondering if anyone else liked the film and sees the same things in it I do =).

Jeff

MMMMMM
12-27-2002, 01:28 AM
It's been a long time since I saw it, but I thought it was good, and meaningful.

Ray Zee
12-27-2002, 11:38 PM
when i saw the post i thought of ben e king's record-- stand by me. i hope your friend stays a friend

pufferfish
12-28-2002, 02:21 AM
Oh God yes, one of my favorite movies!

(I am always a little blue around the holidays and New Years)

Me too, not sure why. Winter and too many strange relatives to deal with?

I have lost some good friends to distant moves; put effort into keeping them close!

Jeffage
12-29-2002, 10:39 AM
Hey Puffer,

Glad to see a couple people feel the same way about this movie =). About the wintertime blues, I think it's just me, feeling like another year has gone by and examining where I'm at in life and even though I've been doing well lately (getting a new job, etc) I am sometimes hard on myself for not following through on goals I had in the past (one of which is writing more besides the stuff I write at my job). Writing used to be a passion and I kinda let it slip but I'm working on getting it back(maybe that is another thing that I internalize when I watch this movie). Also I know I have to eat better, exercise more, and take a little better care of myself. Take care, and thanks for all responses. I will make every effort to keep my friend a friend.

Jeff

pufferfish
12-29-2002, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I've been struggling with end of year analysis and next year's goals as well.

I forgot about your writing, that does add another level to the movie. Maybe you should work on a screenplay for a "good" poker movie. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Well, it's raining outside so I think I'll cook some popcorn and watch "Stand By Me" again, it's been a long time.

TC

Bill Murphy
12-29-2002, 07:24 PM