PDA

View Full Version : Lay down AA to HUGE overraise???

ImNotSoLucky
06-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Only like 3 hands into the table, so no read on any player. Can I give the guy credit for a set here with such a big raise or what........... I'm clueless

able 'Sarpedon' Seat #5 is the button
MP1 ($52 in chips)
Hero ($87.75 in chips)
MP2 ($114.05 in chips)
CO ($38.50 in chips)
Button($38.50 in chips)
SB $27 in chips)
BB $38 in chips)
UTG $53.65 in chips)
UTG1 $114.25 in chips)
posts small blind $0.50

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Ac As]
UTG folds
UTG+1 calls $1
HERO raises $4 to $5
UTG+1 calls $4
*** FLOP *** [Ks 2h 6c]
UTG+1 Checks
HERO bets $8
UTG+1 raises $73 to $81

What the hell do I do to such a gross overraise? Results in white

<font color="white"> For better or worse, I called missed the set and he turned over a set of deuces </font>

ImNotSoLucky
06-02-2005, 10:42 PM
The more I think about it, I think this should be a pretty easy fold - not getting any kind of odds to call, and can probably pick a better spot to get my $ in. The raise confused the hell out of me though, and I also think when confused like that I should lean towards folding. Agree or disagree?

dauler
06-02-2005, 10:46 PM
The best thing to do when an opponent does something like this is to try to put yourself into your shoes and think about what he thinks that YOU have. You raised substantially preflop in what looks to be EP(UTG+2?), indicating either a high pair, AK, AQ or KQ, maybe a few other hands depending on your standards. This was a great flop for most of these hands, and not only did he bet into you to see whether you have one of those hands that doesn't like that flop, he check raised you and for a huge amount. You have no deception value here, he knows exactly what you're representing and he's still willing to put his whole stack on the line. This screams to me that he's hoping you have top pair with a good kicker and don't have the discipline to lay it down. If he has the balls to bluff at such a dangerous situation, congratulate him on his huge cajones as you fold.

wtfsvi
06-02-2005, 10:59 PM
That is the perfect board to get away from AA. You have to fold this with no read.

ImNotSoLucky
06-02-2005, 11:03 PM
If that's a board to definitely fold to - is there any board to call with? Thanks for the input

kurto
06-02-2005, 11:05 PM
general observation... I see a trend lately of picking overbetting their monsters. If the table is decent, its terrible because it allows people to fold. But at a table of fish, they get called enough to make it profitable.

I've noted this lately because I've been seeing it a lot. OVERBET = Monster. (clearly there are maniacs who overbet all the time to steal and this doesn't apply. But if someone isn't a crazy lag and they're not going all in on every flop... they have a monster.)

ImNotSoLucky
06-02-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You raised substantially preflop in what looks to be EP(UTG+2?), indicating either a high pair, AK, AQ or KQ, maybe a few other hands depending on your standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was actually closer to MP2 - does this even matter though or is it still basically the same thought pattern? Thanks for your input.

wtfsvi
06-02-2005, 11:19 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
If that's a board to definitely fold to - is there any board to call with? Thanks for the input

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif makes this worth a little more consideration I suppose. (He could be on a semi-bluff, and he can put you on missed overcards (making the semibluff more likely). But it's still a fold with no reads. He really can't hold anything you beat on your board. (AK is perhaps possible, but why on earth would he play it like that?)

nietzreznor
06-03-2005, 02:22 AM
I think you have to fold here. As long as villain isn't a complete maniac, what could he do this with besides a set? The board is completely drawless, so it's not like he's semibluffing here. I would fold.

BZ_Zorro
06-03-2005, 03:56 AM
I've seen many players at this level overplay AK or KQ like this. A set is generally a slower play given that you didn't overbet the flop and could easily have AK.

I'm 50/50 here, call or fold depends entirely on the player. Against a short stack I'd probably call, against an unknown with a bigger stack I might give it a pass.

radioheadfan
06-03-2005, 04:40 AM
Many players would play AK like this. They might also play QQ/JJ like this thinking they can push you off AK, KQ or whatever.

Against an unknown at these stakes I'm calling the all in.

All the logic I'm seeing like "why would the opponent play such and such this way" is pretty ridiculous. We all know players at this level do all sorts of stupid sht, so assuming that they're carefully considering all their moves is a mistake.

Call it and live with the results. Nice hand

ImNotSoLucky
06-05-2005, 04:15 PM
What ended up dictating my call in the situation was that I figured players at this small stakes level wouldn't be sophisticated enough to go through the thought pattern of me raising probably meant i had high pp or AK and that this flop hit my hand perfect and that this play would get his set paid off. I also thought that this was a huge overplay of a set - that he would be trying to get more money out of a made hand. I decided he either had AK, KQ or was trying to push me off my hand.

11t
06-05-2005, 05:43 PM
I call, does anybody here think that this guy called UTG with 66, then called a 4 dollar raise heads up and decided to dump his stack instead of tryiing to suck you in?

I don't think so, but if he did then oh well.

11t
06-05-2005, 05:44 PM
What did he have?

MarkL444
06-05-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What did he have?

[/ QUOTE ]

222, its in the OP

ChuckyB
06-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Fold and prepare a happy dance for when you pick off his horrific over-raise with the nuts.